55XE9305 - Cannot get Prime Video 4k

Discussion in 'Sony TVs Forum' started by StoufferTheCat, Apr 12, 2018.

1. StoufferTheCat

StoufferTheCat

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +51
    Wasn't sure to post this here or the streaming forum.
    I cannot get 4k from Prime Video - there is no "Included with Prime 4k HD TV" section for me and none of the normal streams ever go above 1080p.
    This is when using my PS4 Pro or the Native app on this TV.
    Netflix works from both the native app and the PS4 Pro just fine - I can see that the streams hit 2060P and the HDR tag appears under picture settings.

I'm pulling my hair out over this - it's as if Prime Video is not seeing me as having a 4k capable setup - which I very much have and the Netflix apps confirm.
    Is there anything I can do here? Or anybody with any ideas?
    It frustrates me that now I've got this wonderful 4k setup and I've seen what it can do, I cannot get the best quality from Prime Video.

Setup is 55XE9305. Yamaha RXV581. PS4 Pro. Using Certified Premium HDMI cables.

tldr: Netflix displays in 4k/HDR, Prime Video doesn't have any 4k options for me.

2. Nativebon

Nativebon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +801
    The lay out of amazon prime has changed. So many had the problems you having now including my self. You need to look for a Box that says for 4K Ultra Hd with would look just the movie boxes, click on that and you find your 4k movies. Evryone has said its just so silly of Amazon.

In some cases you may have to scroll all the way down to fine. Hope this helps.

3. StoufferTheCat

StoufferTheCat

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +51
    Thanks for the reply. I've just slowly scrolled from the "The Last Jedi" banner all the way down to "Top content on Amazon channels" and not a single tile has 4k or UHD mentioned. Is there any chance of a picture, yes potato quality from a phone would so showing this tile? Because right now it truly looks like the app is just not seeing my TV as 4k capable.

4. Nativebon

Nativebon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +801
    Located where I'm pointing with ruler. IMAG1624.jpg
    Click on that & you will find all the 4K movies.

5. Bobadinga

Bobadinga
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I don't believe there are any 4k movies on prime, just tv shows

6. StoufferTheCat

StoufferTheCat

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +51
    Thanks for the image.
    I just want "any" 4k content from Prime right now. When looking last night there was no sign of this Prime 4k Ultra-HD TV tile anywhere on my home page. According to various online sources, when the option doesn't appear, that is the apps way of telling you you've not got a 4k capable setup - my internet connection is more than capable and obviously the XE9305 is.
    I'll give it another look this evening. I don't think there is any way I can remove the app and reinstall it - cannot even find a way to update it as it doesn't appear under "My Apps" in the Google App store.
    I could force the firmware upgrade, see if that forces the app to upgrade as well.
    It's just annoying as we watch a fair bit on Prime Video and I'd like to be watching that in 4k/HDR - As I do in Netflix, makes no sense why I cannot!

7. StoufferTheCat

StoufferTheCat

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +51
    So - latest firmware went OTA for me yesterday, so took the plunge and installed it.
    Then totally reset the TV, spent a while entering all my settings back and at last I've got 4k options in the Prime app. I knew there wasn't a lot of content available, but was getting so damn frustrating not even being able to see it!
    Watched an episode of Altered Carbon in DV last night, looked stunning.