Any reviews of the LG 55SM9800PLA (2019 LG NanoCell TV)?

Well the blooming on mine is very much present now I've had time with it and it's very distracting in dark movies. I've now returned it.

Had the same problem with my previous tv so i will look in the general use because i know i have to accept some compromise.

Each to their own. People will make a choice of what is right for them or not.

I don't find blooming that apparent on any non-HDR content. Yes, blooming can be present on very dark screens - e.g. the loading screen of GT Sport.

Personally, I'm OK with a bit of blooming on loading screens and title cards. If it was apparent / more apparent in actual gameplay or watching a movie / TV show, then I might be concerned. So far, that hasn't really happened. After all, in real content, very few pixels are ever shown as pure black - and anything even slightly above pure black is by definition emitting light.

So after many hours of deliberating and seeing virtually every TV available in action, I went for the LG 65SM9800PLA. These were my results when watching the King Of Comedy opening titles:

[Note that both of these are videos]

Pointer on paused screen:

Blooming on credits (after Fox titles):

This was in a fairly dark room. I tried various settings, and none were a massive improvement on this. I have since returned the TV as faulty, which the supplier accepted.

Please note that my phone's camera is NOT exaggerating the effects of what was happening on screen.

Not being the manufacturer, I cannot honestly tell you whether it was technically faulty or just poor performance, but I couldn't consider it fit for purpose even as a cheap TV. However as a TV costing £2k, that is absolutely unacceptable.

Due to the not so good feedback on this forum, I’ve decided to cancel my order of this TV.
So now I’m back to square one....the search continues :(
I would say either go for an OLED if you can - they are awesome, or, if this is an issue regarding screen burn, try a Samsung Q90R - a great TV with superb blacks but also a 10 year screen burn warranty.

I would say either go for an OLED if you can - they are awesome, or, if this is an issue regarding screen burn, try a Samsung Q90R - a great TV with superb blacks but also a 10 year screen burn warranty.
It’s a damn nightmare trying to choose...I wanted a tv with Dolby Atmos and Dolby Vision, so that narrows it down to LG.... anyway that’s for another thread...cheers :thumbsup:

It’s a damn nightmare trying to choose...I wanted a tv with Dolby Atmos and Dolby Vision, so that narrows it down to LG.... anyway that’s for another thread...cheers :thumbsup:
I,ve had a LG SM9000PLA 49" for 3 weeks now and it is superb.

Samsung could give a 50yr screen burn warrenty, because its never going to happen with QDot
And you will never get Dolby Vision with thier tvs.

Samsung could give a 50yr screen burn warrenty, because its never going to happen with QDot
Well went to RicherSounds and bought a LG C9 55 inch, delivery next week:clap:

I know my english is not so accurate so if you don't understand something or you want to know someting you are free to ask.

First. I was alone when i got and set up the tv(Lg 65sm9800) but the package is really well organized so you could use it for move and build your tv, only in the end lift it and put it where you prefer. Is 28kg of tv not so heavy but not so easy for one person when you can't tight the screen. First thing, i didn't get a premium feeling about the tv, look like nice but the stand is metal cover by plastic structure, if you don't pay attention about the plastic you will break it easly. Second , the stand is not so strong so you must handle the tv carefully or it swing really easy doing creepy sounds.

First updated to the new firmware

Web os is really fast, easy to learn the best operating sistem for a tv in this moment.
The tv recognize everything is connect in one second and set it up for the best usb-optical-hdmi. Never heard my sound sistem work so well as yestarday, xbox one x looks great.

Picture quality and blooming.

Dolby vision, as i red in many reviews, is stunning, never saw something as good as it on netflix.

Hdr good as well but not as good as dolby vision, i didn't see any kind of light blooming on it.

What about bloooming.

Yes ther's but not always some material has it some no, i don't know why and the reasons, you could notice it on some really dark area or in credits for me not such a big issue because much more less than the ks9000. Turn off local dimmin, correction of gamma and controll of movement, boooming is somethig really not so visible in my opinion.
I'm pretty sure ther's a big difference between the sm9800 and the sm9000 the second is much more worst.

In the end.

If ,as me, don't want to spend 2000 euro or more for a tv that you are going to chenge in couple of years, i think this is the right one because you will get great picture quality(sure not good as sony xg9505 or samsung q90r or Oled but more expensive) future proof with hdmi 2.1 and Full Arc, 120hrz 4k panel.

Last edited:
Well went to RicherSounds and bought a LG C9 55 inch, delivery next week:clap:

I hope you will be happy with it. But don't put Sky News on there. Ever. Don't let anything with bright static content - particularly yellows - to linger (e.g. Cbeebies logo).

And just try not to have it on all day, every day.

I can't vouch for how much the C9 has moved on, but I had an E6. For the most part, the suggestion that "normal" viewing won't cause a problem holds true. But bright (yellow) content can burn in quite quickly, and after 12,000+ hours, it wasn't quite as bright as it used to be.

What about bloooming.

Yes ther's but not always some material has it some no, i don't know why and the reasons, you could notice it on some really dark area or in credits for me not such a big issue because much more less than the ks9000. Turn off local dimmin, correction of gamma and controll of movement, boooming is somethig really not so visible in my opinion.
I'm pretty sure ther's a big difference between the sm9800 and the sm9000 the second is much more worst.

I completely agree. It might vary depending on the content you use / watch, as well as your preferred settings, but so far I don't notice blooming as an issue unless watching HDR / DV content, with credit sequences or loading screens in games.

I'm really not bothered about some blooming in what I consider non-critical content.

If ,as me, don't want to spend 2000 euro or more for a tv that you are going to chenge in couple of years, i think this is the right one because you will get great picture quality(sure not good as sony xg9505 or samsung q90r or Oled but more expensive) future proof with hdmi 2.1 and Full Arc, 120hrz 4k panel.

At the time of purchase, the Samsung QLED would have been 50% more than the LG - about £1000 more. Not realistic for a TV that doesn't offer an apparent improvement, is less accurate OOTB, has a worse OS, worse format support and fewer hdmi features.

OLEDs are spectacular at their best, but I've already shown them to not be suitable for my use, and it's easier for me to live with an LCD - even if I had to switch off dimming (which I haven't) - than the OLED.

Had a walk round PCWorld yesterday, Samsung rep waltzing round
with "10 year screenburn warranty" emblazed across his back, lol.

Hi,
I'm considering getting the 55SM9000 but the Flatpanels review has cast serious doubt.

Day/night viewing will be 50/50 for sports, gaming and movies so it should fit the bill.

However, most of the movie content will be HD/SDR so the reported green tint and colour banding issues are concerning.

It's not only the Flatpanels review that mentions this, but also a Dutch magazine here:

Does anyone know if the problem has been fixed, perhaps through a software update? Or was it a non-issue in the first place, blown out of proportion? The Flatpanels review does say that it's immediately noticeable in normal conditions.

Also, given my use case, would I be better off stepping down to a mid-range model instead? Or moving up to OLED? (Really worried about burn-in as I tend to leave the news on for prolonged periods each morning, and don't want the fear of static content to become an obsession). I don't really care much for HDR at the moment, but will I miss the Alpha7-II processor for upscaling?

Does the SM8600 also suffer from green tint? There are almost no reviews of it. Is the lack of FALD the only difference between it and the 9000? I could live with less-than-black blacks I guess.

Would greatly appreciate your help.

Hi,
I'm considering getting the 55SM9000 but the Flatpanels review has cast serious doubt.

Day/night viewing will be 50/50 for sports, gaming and movies so it should fit the bill.

However, most of the movie content will be HD/SDR so the reported green tint and colour banding issues are concerning.

It's not only the Flatpanels review that mentions this, but also a Dutch magazine here:

Does anyone know if the problem has been fixed, perhaps through a software update? Or was it a non-issue in the first place, blown out of proportion? The Flatpanels review does say that it's immediately noticeable in normal conditions.

Also, given my use case, would I be better off stepping down to a mid-range model instead? Or moving up to OLED? (Really worried about burn-in as I tend to leave the news on for prolonged periods each morning, and don't want the fear of static content to become an obsession). I don't really care much for HDR at the moment, but will I miss the Alpha7-II processor for upscaling?

Does the SM8600 also suffer from green tint? There are almost no reviews of it. Is the lack of FALD the only difference between it and the 9000? I could live with less-than-black blacks I guess.

If you can afford OLED, get OLED. It will give you the best SDR picture available.

Hi,

It's impossible compare the oled and ips.. maybe oled and qled are really close in this moment. Why are you looking for the sm9000 and not the sm9800?

Thinking of choosing the SM9000 for the full array dimming, the 8600 is £100 cheaper has all the same features except the dimming, How do you find the blacks in a dark room?

Has anyone got the 75" version of this TV? I believe the 75/86" version have FALD pro which means alot more zones (although cant find anywhere they says how many)

Probably 96 zones like SK9800, but I see some saying the new SM9800 has only 50 zones...

Has anyone got the 75" version of this TV? I believe the 75/86" version have FALD pro which means alot more zones (although cant find anywhere they says how many)
I had the 75 inch and returned it as it had blooming issues. If you look for my posts in this thread you will see the posts I made on blooming and how fald not working. To answer your question there is only 12 zones.

Thinking of choosing the SM9000 for the full array dimming, the 8600 is £100 cheaper has all the same features except the dimming, How do you find the blacks in a dark room?
I can only speak for myself, If others are having problems i am not.
Blacks are black not gray, hdr is good, DV is better and Atoms is brill.
I deliberatly messed about with this set in Currys/ PC World and thats
What convinced me to get it.

How does it look if you turn off the lights at night?

I can only speak for myself, If others are having problems i am not.
Blacks are black not gray, hdr is good, DV is better and Atoms is brill.
I deliberatly messed about with this set in Currys/ PC World and thats
What convinced me to get it.

I have a small table lamp on, about 6ft to oneside of the TV.
I will turn that lamp off tonught and report back.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom