55pus6704 /12. shadow/ dark section on screen

[email protected]

Standard Member
Hi there, I have had my 55pus6704 for a year now and I am generally very happy with it, considering the price. However I have noticed a horizontal line on the screen where the picture changes ever so slightly. Its not instantly noticeable but once you've seen it, it's annoying.

Bizarrely I've now figured out that this line/band thing moves up and down the screen when the contrast (backlight) setting is moved up and down.

I have my backlight at 32, which puts the line near enough in the middle of the screen.

Any ideas /advice? Thanks in advance.

l00pu5

Would you have a photo of this phenomenon?
Sounds like an artifact that is induced by the panel's pixel charge time vs. the backlight's PWM duty cycle, but ultimately this is just a theory that needs to be backed up with some hard evidence.

[email protected]

Standard Member
Would you have a photo of this phenomenon?
Sounds like an artifact that is induced by the panel's pixel charge time vs. the backlight's PWM duty cycle, but ultimately this is just a theory that needs to be backed up with some hard evidence.
I'll try to get some decent images up. If it is what you think it is, is it something that can be fixed?

l00pu5

Most likely not, but that'll depend on the characteristics of the panel and whether this kind of effect would be expected for the given panel type / panel architecture.

I'll try to get some decent images up. If it is what you think it is, is it something that can be fixed?

[email protected]

Standard Member
At last
PXL_20210118_132219681.jpg
PXL_20210118_132231159.jpg

l00pu5

Hmm... like I said, depends on the characteristics of the panel whether the manufacturer will declare this "within specifications". I'm undecided in view of the picture evidence, tbh

[email protected]

Standard Member
Hmm... like I said, depends on the characteristics of the panel whether the manufacturer will declare this "within specifications". I'm undecided in view of the picture evidence, tbh
The pictures don't do it justice really. Another thing I've noticed is that when on the picture settings, open up the 'colour' tab, then move back to the 'contrast' (backlight) tab, and the shaded area starts at top of the screen and gradually travels down the screen slowly before settling back where you left it previously on the contrast tab. Most annoying though, find myself watching the line and not the show that's on!

[email protected]

Standard Member
Update.. Got some decent images and videos sent to Phillips customer services and they agree there is a fault, they are sending an engineer to fix it. I believe they are replacing the screen.

[email protected]

Standard Member
So they replaced the panel, and the problem was still there. Did a full software update from the engineers flash drive, still didn't fix it. Comi back next week to replace the main board. The TV was only around £500 ***🙄

The latest video from AVForums

LG CX Best Picture Settings
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom