55POS9002/05 Ambilight problem with letterboxed movies

Discussion in 'Philips TVs Forum' started by 55POS9002, Dec 19, 2017.

1. 55POS9002

55POS9002

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15
    Issue : The top ambilight doesn’t detect the edge of all letterboxed movies and just shows dim white (as per black screen)

Philips support claim that the Ambilight issue of letterboxed movies is "normal" - although my £579 55PUS6272 copes fine with detecting the edge of letterboxed content and the top ambilight works as expected.

Workaround : I’ve played with this some more - the issue appears to be when the content provider (Sky Q and Plex on AppleTV4k in my case) includes the black bars as part of the supplied image - this is especially obvious on this tv as the black isn’t truly black. Using settings, picture format, advanced, stretch it’s possible to remove these spurious “black” bars at which point the top ambilight detects the edge of the image and works properly..... Doesn't seem to be an issue on Plex on Android (installed directly on the TV) though....

I'll just leave this here in case it's of any use to anyone else but appears to be some sort of edge detection issue when the black bars are part of the image - hopefully a software issue. This is also raised over on the Philips support forum but I'm not holding my breath on that.....

Last edited: Dec 19, 2017