55OLED806 -Dolby Vision software bug

Madchemic40

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi all.
I have purchased 55OLED806 on Tuesday, updated it to the latest update and when I play Dolby Vision content the picture goes black and Dolby Vision logo flickers.
After restarting video couple of times, problem minimise till I turn off the TV and turn it on again.
What is the issue?

What source are you using to play Dolby Vision content from? USB? Netflix? External source (HDMI)?

I play Dolby Vision content from different apps ( Apple TV+, Disney, Netflix)
I use Apple TV 4K-2021 model
I use Belkin hi speed 48Gb cabel.
It worked OK before the software update. :S

I just have reported the same problem at Philips. Hopefully they will investigate this problem very quickly. I also noticed a weird DD 5.1 sound issue when using the Apple TV in combination with Multichannel Bypass: OLED806/856: Audio is very buggy

There seems to be a lot of bugs of the current TV version. 😒

I have installed new HDMI 2.1 cables and this time I didn't spend much money or attention to a specific brand. The cables did cost 17 euro each.

But I'm now watching for a half day and I haven't encounter the Dolby Vision label loop. It just works now. Still having the audio problems but that is another discussion.

I have installed new HDMI 2.1 cables and this time I didn't spend much money or attention to a specific brand. The cables did cost 17 euro each.

But I'm now watching for a half day and I haven't encounter the Dolby Vision label loop. It just works now. Still having the audio problems but that is another discussion.
Still having problems with Vision. It works half day then all of a sudden 5x restart is needed. Waiting for update. :S

I have to correct myself. I just tried to see something on Netflix (Apple TV) and the Dolby Vision label loop had appeared again.

So new cables aren't the solution.

I've just heard something from Philips. They are still investigating the problems. But they wanted to see a video where the Dolby Vision loop was appearing.

So I've already made those and sent it to them.

I've just heard something from Philips. They are still investigating the problems. But they wanted to see a video where the Dolby Vision loop was appearing.

Excellent.
The more we report this the faster they can come up with solution.

Logs sent to Philips for further investigation. :)

Logs sent to Philips for further investigation. :)
I haven’t heard anything back so far. They did asked me some additional questions after I’ve sent the log file. Let’s hope they are very busy. 😉

I haven’t heard anything back so far. They did asked me some additional questions after I’ve sent the log file. Let’s hope they are very busy. 😉
I can confirm they don't have a clue what they are doing.
First they wanted to know if Multichannel is in bypass or not and disabling earc.
As you clearly said this should not matter but anyway.
Second they suggested Dolby Vision picture setting and match frame rate disabled in Apple TV (facepalm).
Confirmed multiple times and even suggested in Home Theatre Engineering support videos ( YouTube channel) the settings in Apple TV need to be 4K SDR 50Hz and Match Dynamic range and match Frame rate ON.
I have composed sassy email back.
Come on Philips, get you grip together.

Any update on your side?

I can confirm they don't have a clue what they are doing.

Any update on your side?
WTF! 😱 That doesn't sound good. Even with 'Match frame rate and dynamic range matching' OFF the Dolby Vision bug still exists. It also still exists when you set the picture setting of the Apple TV in Dolby Vision. So the suggestions from them will not work.

Have you also talked about the DD5.1 bug? The TV must be for this in bypass and eARC in AUTO. The Apple TV must be set for Dolby Atmos. If you now play any DD5.1 sound you will notice that some audio is coming from the wrong speaker.

The software of the new 2021 Philips models are really a mess!! I hope they are going to fix this soon. But it seems that they don't have any capable engineer at the moment. 🤐
I also can not believe that an Apple TV is not available in their test room.

I haven't heard anything back from them. But I did gave them a link to this thread and the audio bug thread. Hopefully they show some interests with reading those so that they better can understand the problem.

WTF! 😱 That doesn't sound good. Even with 'Match frame rate and dynamic range matching' OFF the Dolby Vision bug still exists. It also still exists when you set the picture setting of the Apple TV in Dolby Vision. So the suggestions from them will not work.

Have you also talked about the DD5.1 bug? The TV must be for this in bypass and eARC in AUTO. The Apple TV must be set for Dolby Atmos. If you now play any DD5.1 sound you will notice that some audio is coming from the wrong speaker.

The software of the new 2021 Philips models are really a mess!! I hope they are going to fix this soon. But it seems that they don't have any capable engineer at the moment. 🤐

I haven't heard anything back from them. But I did gave them a link to this thread and the audio bug thread. Hopefully they show some interests with reading those so that they better can understand the problem.
Can you share this post with them please and update your findings?
I will also update my case on their page later today with some more pictures.

Just mentioned this to Philips.

Can you share this post with them please and update your findings?
I will also update my case on their page later today with some more pictures.
The Philips are blaming Apple for the thing not working.
As I was reading on forums and reddit and as you are confirming, the solution they are talking about, choosing the Dolby Vision and frame rate off will clearly NOT work.
Am I right?
So the correct settings are still 4K SDR 50Hz and both options on? Dynamic range and frame rate?
This saga now is now just becoming nonsense.

The Philips are blaming Apple for the thing not working.
As I was reading on forums and reddit and as you are confirming, the solution they are talking about, choosing the Dolby Vision and frame rate off will clearly NOT work.
Am I right?
So the correct settings are still 4K SDR 50Hz and both options on? Dynamic range and frame rate?
This saga now is now just becoming nonsense.
That answer from Philips is bul****t. I really can NOT believe they have really tested this. If you set the Apple TV on 4K SDR 50Hz. It will use this setting for the user interface and every non HDR/Dolby Vision content.

But when you start seeing a Dolby Vision movie the Apple TV will off course use Dolby Vision. No matter what you have set. The Apple TV will use the best settings that is available.

This is really a bummer!! They don't understand the problem at all. The Apple TV is working fine on every brand and now Philips is saying that the Apple TV is the problem??!!! 😳

Oh boy...everyone that is in the running for a 2021 Philips model should really be concerned how Philips is handling all the bugs in these models.

I have done something that is working at the moment and was confirmed by Philips as 100 % pass rate. So the settings in Audio video settings in Apple TV:
Format - Dolby Vision 50 Hz
Match content - Only dynamic range ON, Frame rate OFF

Picture format in Philips TV settings set to Original.
So far everything is playing OK, and the format switching also works.

Try this and let me know If it works for you.

Try this and let me know If it works for you.
You're just lucky at this time. Remember that after I have used new HDMI cables I also thought for a couple of days it was gone.

No this setting will not work I have tried it before. And besides why would you use it like this?? If you watch a 24hz movie the Apple TV will still use 50hz because it can't change the frame rate. There goes the real cinema experience in this way.

If this is the solution that Philips has found then they also have an answer for the audio problems. Just switch the audio from Dolby Atmos to Stereo. 😳

You're just lucky at this time. Remember that after I have used new HDMI cables I also thought for a couple of days it was gone.

No this setting will not work I have tried it before. And besides why would you use it like this?? If you watch a 24hz movie the Apple TV will still use 50hz because it can't change the frame rate. There goes the real cinema experience in this way.

If this is the solution that Philips has found then they also have an answer for the audio problems. Just switch the audio from Dolby Atmos to Stereo. 😳
I think that Dynamic range ON means that that the content plays in original Dynamic range as intended.
With frame rate OFF it means that the TV adjusts frame rate automatically?
Correct me if I am wrong.

You’re right with the dynamic range but wrong about the frame rate.
With the frame rate off the Apple TV will only use 50 Hz. That’s because you have set the UI on 50 Hz. It will not change.
You can verify this by playing some content and press the +Options button on the TV remote and choose device information.
If you Play a 24hz movie (Netflix - Tombraider) it will play as 50 Hz.

if you buy a TV in 2021 you may expect that these change the frame rate automatically to get a real cinematic experience. The solution from Philips is to disable this experience. 🤔

You’re right with the dynamic range but wrong about the frame rate.
With the frame rate off the Apple TV will only use 50 Hz. That’s because you have set the UI on 50 Hz. It will not change.
You can verify this by playing some content and press the +Options button on the TV remote and choose device information.
If you Play a 24hz movie (Netflix - Tombraider) it will play as 50 Hz.

if you buy a TV in 2021 you may expect that these change the frame rate automatically to get a real cinematic experience. The solution from Philips is to disable this experience. 🤔
So does this means that all content plays at 50 Hz? How about higher frame rates?
For example 60Hz youtube videos and more? Is the output always 50 Hz?

So does this means that all content plays at 50 Hz? How about higher frame rates?
For example 60Hz youtube videos and more? Is the output always 50 Hz?
Yes the output will always be 50 Hz. That is because with these settings you have chosen Dolby Vision @50 Hz with frame rate OFF.

The Apple TV will use for the user interface Dolby Vision @50Hz and the frame rate will always be the same no matter what you are playing (games/movies) because the frame rate setting is 'OFF'.

It will however change the dynamic range because this setting is 'ON'. This means that the user interface of the Apple TV will be displayed in Dolby Vision but your videos can be different. A video not in HDR/Dolby Vision will be played in SDR. Just like you expect. An HDR movie will be played in HDR. Dolby Vision content in Dolby Vision and so on.

If you put the dynamic range in OFF and have selected 'Dolby Vision @50Hz then all the content will be played in Dolby Vision. That sounds maybe great but it isn't. The colors are not accurate anymore. You get a fake/forced Dolby Vision signal applied over SDR content.

For the best (cinematic) results you have to put the dynamic range and the frame rate both in 'ON'. At first sight it might not be a big deal. In the beginning the Apple TV didn't had support for dynamic range and frame rate. But when you have a brand new television you may only expect the best. The TV has support for different frame rates and has support for SDR/HDR/DV. It is only badly implemented by Philips. They really should solve this problem instead of giving a solution where you disable those great features.

Philips is yelling about their Filmmaker mode in these newest models but they are forcing you with a fixed frame rate. That is absolutely not the idea of a real filmmaker mode!

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom