55OLED806 -Dolby Vision software bug

tCC0

I'm testing the firmware 001.001.233.012 and at the moment I have not faced the Dolby Vision bug. This does not mean that it isn't there anymore since @Tounsi98 does report he/she has still some issues with it. I know that this bug is a strange one. It can disappear for a while and suddenly it's back.

But at the moment I'm not having it with the Apple TV and a blu-ray player. The Apple TV is set back to have Dynamic Range and Match Frame Rate on. For now it seems to work...fingers crossed.

The audio is another story...it isn't any better! Philips OLED806 sound is buggy
Let me know when I can buy the Apple TV :p

kapslock

Jesus, this fudgeing TV. Ive never had something this bad at thise price point!!!

After updating I still have the Dolby Vision bug! But not only that, now I also have a sound bug where my Sonos rear speakers project sound that my ARC should be playing. It's all messed up now.......

sponger

Same here, 50 inch Philips PUS7805. Only difference is here, not an Xbox One, but my Chromecast with Google TV (Chromecast 2020) won't display the Dolby Vision content properly, only thing I can see is a washed out image. Since my Chromecast did not receive any update since June, and a TV has a newly updated firmware I think I found the root cause. It's such a disappointment, I use my Chromecast for everything (Netflix, HBO, Plex, Youtube) and it's much faster than the built-in apps.

Based on the Philips Support page, the update (201.003.160.001) for PUS7805 was released 2021/09/08, but this topic is older, so I am not sure if we are in the same boat as these guys :/
I have the 55PUS7805 and same problem here too. Just noticed it tonight (TV only updated a week or 2 ago) on Chromecast with Google TV - Dolby Vision not switching on at all from Netflix whereas it always worked perfectly before. I've set Chromecast to HDR for now, as when it was set to Dolby Vision I was just getting a washed out SDR picture. HDR better than nothing for now I suppose.

sponger

I have the 55PUS7805 and same problem here too. Just noticed it tonight (TV only updated a week or 2 ago) on Chromecast with Google TV - Dolby Vision not switching on at all from Netflix whereas it always worked perfectly before. I've set Chromecast to HDR for now, as when it was set to Dolby Vision I was just getting a washed out SDR picture. HDR better than nothing for now I suppose.
Replying to myself here, but just to say I sorted this with a firmware downgrade to previous version. No issues now.

Pwainx

Replying to myself here, but just to say I sorted this with a firmware downgrade to previous version. No issues now.
But we can’t do this with the 806. This bug exists even with the original firmware.
Besides that the sound issues will be worse. No Atmos at all when using trueHD.

But it’s strange that they are having so much issues with Dolby Vision lately. Did Philips have you the advice to downgrade? Are they really aware of all those problems?

sponger

But we can’t do this with the 806. This bug exists even with the original firmware.

But it’s strange that they are having so much issues with Dolby Vision lately. Did Philips have you the advice to downgrade? Are they really aware of all those problems?
No I did the downgrade off my own bat. Hopefully they are aware and will sort it for everybody in the next software release(s). The only reason I bought the Philips in the first place was for Dolby Vision support. I like the Ambilight too but previously had a DIY version from a Raspberry Pi anyway.

riccsiz

Novice Member

I spoke to Philips's official customer support in my country, they told me that they know about the issue but they "do not support the downgrades, and won't provide me an older firmware". Also the support said, they know nothing about the date of the fix. Since my TV is under warranty, I asked them what should I do then ? No fix, downgrade is not supported, TV is not working as intended. They told me, I should contact the store where I bought the TV. The store told me I can RMA the TV, but they won't give my money back, they'll send me an other one from the same model. I explained them, that an other TV will have the exact same problem, because of the firmware. So at the end they told me, they have zero clue, Philips must sort this out (with a firmware update/downgrade or money) and they will talk to them and they raised an official "quality problem" ticket towards their support.
I don't want to send my TV back, I'm just trying to force out an official answer :D

So I did the downgrade to TPM206E _ 201.003.098.001– Date: 2021/04/08 - Dolby Vision is back

saaiborg

Standard Member
I spoke to Philips's official customer support in my country, they told me that they know about the issue but they "do not support the downgrades, and won't provide me an older firmware". Also the support said, they know nothing about the date of the fix. Since my TV is under warranty, I asked them what should I do then ? No fix, downgrade is not supported, TV is not working as intended. They told me, I should contact the store where I bought the TV. The store told me I can RMA the TV, but they won't give my money back, they'll send me an other one from the same model. I explained them, that an other TV will have the exact same problem, because of the firmware. So at the end they told me, they have zero clue, Philips must sort this out (with a firmware update/downgrade or money) and they will talk to them and they raised an official "quality problem" ticket towards their support.
I don't want to send my TV back, I'm just trying to force out an official answer :D

So I did the downgrade to TPM206E _ 201.003.098.001– Date: 2021/04/08 - Dolby Vision is back
Hi, could you tell me how you did this please? With the latest fimware, I also have lots of ARC issues... Thanks!

ujh

Novice Member
Just unpacked my 65OLED706 and it seems to suffer form the same eArc problems with Sonos Arc that everyone here with 806/856 is reporting.

I have not seen the Dolby Vision problems people are reporting. But I have net watched that much DV contents.

Pwainx

Just unpacked my 65OLED706 and it seems to suffer form the same eArc problems with Sonos Arc that everyone here with 806/856 is reporting.

I have not seen the Dolby Vision problems people are reporting. But I have net watched that much DV contents.
Dolby Vision problems appears to happen with only 23,97 fps content. If you also use the built in apps then you will probably never encounter this.

Since the 706 share the same firmware for most of the part (like all the 2021 models) the eARC nightmare also exists for this TV. Make sure you report this to Philips (make a case) and refer them to this channel. Otherwise they will brush you off.

ujh

Novice Member
Dolby Vision problems appears to happen with only 23,97 fps content. If you also use the built in apps then you will probably never encounter this.

Since the 706 share the same firmware for most of the part (like all the 2021 models) the eARC nightmare also exists for this TV. Make sure you report this to Philips (make a case) and refer them to this channel. Otherwise they will brush you off.
Thanks for the tip. I logged a support case with Philips.

Madchemic40

So the bug happens for lower frame rate and DV works in 50Hz frame rate?
Why?

ojee99

Standard Member
Besides all other bugs, I also notice white specks moving all over the screen 55OLED806, especially visible on dark screens.

IMG_3208.jpeg

Update the video, in this one it more visible:

Last edited:

Priyantha

We bought yesterday a 77OLED806, and after some fiddling with the settings I am quite happy with the picture.

My Setup is as follows:
  • Philips 77OLED806/12
    • Pioneer SC-LX704
      • Apple TV 4k 1st gen
      • Google Chromecast with Google TV
      • HTPC with AMD Ryzen 3200G, running Windows 10(for Kodi)

Everything is connected to the Pioneer SC-LX704 and back to HDMI port 2 in the Philips 77OLED806.
In the Pioneer SC-LX704 the HDMI mode is set on 'Enhanced'.

Everything does work as expected right now. We do not use eARC right now, because I don't have any devices connected to the Philips 77OLED806 which do utilize the HDMI 2.1 bandwidth.

I have tested Dolby Vision on both the onboard apps on the Philips 77OLED806 itself as on my Apple TV and both did work. So I think I do not experience the 'Dolby Vision' bug?
I am running the latest firmware version.
When looking at the INFO on the OSD from the Pioneer SC-LX704, I am also getting Dolby Vision and Dolby Atmos like it should when using the Apple TV.

kapslock

We bought yesterday a 77OLED806, and after some fiddling with the settings I am quite happy with the picture.

My Setup is as follows:
  • Philips 77OLED806/12
    • Pioneer SC-LX704
      • Apple TV 4k 1st gen
      • Google Chromecast with Google TV
      • HTPC with AMD Ryzen 3200G, running Windows 10(for Kodi)

Everything is connected to the Pioneer SC-LX704 and back to HDMI port 2 in the Philips 77OLED806.
In the Pioneer SC-LX704 the HDMI mode is set on 'Enhanced'.

Everything does work as expected right now. We do not use eARC right now, because I don't have any devices connected to the Philips 77OLED806 which do utilize the HDMI 2.1 bandwidth.

I have tested Dolby Vision on both the onboard apps on the Philips 77OLED806 itself as on my Apple TV and both did work. So I think I do not experience the 'Dolby Vision' bug?
I am running the latest firmware version.
When looking at the INFO on the OSD from the Pioneer SC-LX704, I am also getting Dolby Vision and Dolby Atmos like it should when using the Apple TV.
The dolby vision bugs appears for me as soon as I enable match frame rate on Apple TV.
Also with Dolby Atmos sound from a Sonos ARC + One rear spearkers, I experience front center speaker volume coming out of rear speakers.

tony cosgrove

Hi guys, I have a 65OLED706 and experienced the DV bug thing last week when I hooked up a Panasonic Blu-ray player/recorder to HDMI 1 with an ATV 4K 2021 plugged into HDMI 2.

I cleared the fault by removing the Panasonic player from the TV.

I've not noticed the bug since.

At the time I was watching A Star Is Born that I purchased on iTunes but the movie was unwatchable until I removed the Panasonic's HDMI cable from the TV.

Tony

Discussion here.

Tidusneo

Novice Member
Hey everyone i bought an 55OLED706 and i have the same problem.

I read a lot of complaints in many threads since this morning about this problem. And after the reading i think that the newest update tease by Vincent Teoh will solve this problem.
If you try to force the apple TV on 4k Dolby Vision in 25htz and launch Disney+ for example we don't have the problem even with other refresh rate.
I think and it's only me that our Philips have the skip frame problem and the apple tv don't understand why 1 frame or more is skipped and the results is cause by the black screen/sound cut.

It's possible on the phillips to go on beta firmware like LG ?

Last edited:

Pwainx

It's possible on the phillips to go on beta firmware like LG ?
There's no beta section from Philips where you can subscribe yourself. Sometimes it happens that the customer service will give you a test firmware to see if there is a solution. But this really does not happens very often.

And probably the newest firmware where Vincent has been talking about will solve the Dolby Vision issues. But it's not sure if it even solves all the eARC issues.

Philips told me that this new firmware update was being release last week. But it didn't happend...and now it's already Thursday and still no update. I don't think we can expect it this week. Maybe they are creating some last tweaks with it?

The latest video from AVForums

Samsung S95B QD-OLED Review - A Quantum Leap for OLED!
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Latest News

PSB Speakers unveils Passif 50 loudspeaker
  • By Ian Collen
  • Published
Samsung Gaming Hub goes live
  • By Ian Collen
  • Published
Huawei unveils FreeBuds Pro 2 true wireless earbuds
  • By Ian Collen
  • Published
Sony unveils Inzone gaming brand