55OLED805 LAN Speed issue

SlimJim1972

Novice Member
Hello all,

Just bought a 55OLED805/12 a few days ago.
I have a FIBER 200 Internet subscription with my provider.
So my modem/router DOCSIS 3.1 WIRELESS (DOCSIS) receives 200 Mbps from my Internet provider.
Connecting a laptop to one of the LAN 4 ports on the Modem/router with a CAT6a u/utp-cable gives me speeds of average 190 Mbps!

But now I noticed that my WIFI (5GHz) is much faster then my LAN speed! I use an APP on the TV to test the speed (Internet Speed Test-FiberTest for Android Smart TV
by RedMango Analytics PVT LTD)
When I connect the TV to one of the LAN ports (using the same CAT6a cable) and do a speed test I never surpass 93 Mbps.
When I connect the TV to my WIFI (5GHz) then I get speeds up to 190 Mbps!

I would prefer connecting the TV with ETHERNET LAN connection to the modem/router ... but I don't want that speed loss. If the router is sending up to 200 Mbps, why am I only getting 93 Mbps out of it on the TV's LAN?
Anybody know why the ETHERNET is slow(er) on the 55OLED805 LAN?
Does the LAN CARD only support speeds up to 100 Mbps? But then why do I get normal speeds by wifi? Wifi should never be faster then cable, not?

Hope to get this cleared up soon.
Thx in advance!
Sidney

KillerDid

Standard Member
The onboard ethernet is 100Mbps only.
The wifi, at least via 5Ghz can sync to at least 866Mbps, and has a real life bandwidth of about 180-190 Mbps for download

SlimJim1972

Novice Member
The onboard ethernet is 100Mbps only.
The wifi, at least via 5Ghz can sync to at least 866Mbps, and has a real life bandwidth of about 180-190 Mbps for download
Hello KillerDid, where did you find this information? I have searched like crazy but couldn’t find any specs on Lan vs Wifi speed for this television..

KillerDid

Standard Member
No docs, just the facts I see.
When I plug the TV to a Ethernet switch that support 1Gb/100Mb, its plug light is orange instead of green, showing that the switch and the TV are linked at 100Mbps.

For the wifi speed, multiple apps can show the sync speed. At home it syns in Wifi AC 5GHz at 866Mpbs.

The real life speed is a little disappointing. My phone syncs at the same 866Mbps, but real download speed is over 400Mbps.

With Analiti speed is about 180/190Mbps for download. In the web browser, it I go to speedtest.net, it's about 40/50 Mbps

l00pu5

I chime in on that.
The Ethernet chipset that is being used here is natively only supporting 100mbits/s of max. theoretical throughput, so 93mbps in real-life conditions sounds absolutely plausible.

Besides that: what would you do with a TV (!!!) that requires more bandwidth than that? 4K HDR streaming, which will max. require a quarter of the Ethernet bandwidth at best?

KillerDid

Standard Member
It may be usefull to download apps updates faster, refreshing movie database for apps like kodi or plex, or streaming a Bluray UHD rip from a NAS (bitrate could theoricaaly go up to 144Mbit/s)

But most of the time, I agree, it's useless

SlimJim1972

Novice Member
Hey you guys, thx for the replies.
Just got a message back from Philips themselves, confirming that the LAN is maxed out at 100 Mbps.
Very strange for a costly TV, but whatever... I'll just keep it connected to the wifi.

AVtest

Hey you guys, thx for the replies.
Just got a message back from Philips themselves, confirming that the LAN is maxed out at 100 Mbps.
Very strange for a costly TV, but whatever... I'll just keep it connected to the wifi.
Nothing weird from philips its just profit driven organization. OLED range is sharing same platform as LCD which is another rip off. Not to mention poor hardware (probably worth£50) to run android fitted in tv...
Whether you better off with wifi is arguable and would need investigation. We did few trials on our 7xx4 and it turned out even so wifi was telling 200Mbps actual data flow was only 60Mbps..... Where cable was solidly giving 90Mbps! Tests been done with iperf3. Not only that rate would fluctuate a lot if you had moving obstructions. So if tv is very close to router then maybe wifi is ok, but if tv is like in another room or so I would be careful there using wifi on philips tv's
Wifi chip is weak on them. For daily 4k HDR streaming its ok, but if you plan playing 4k blue ray from your networked media expect some troubles.
Not only that tv does struggle processing 80Gb movies especially if you add fancy sound formats.

Also if I remember board drawings correctly wifi is connected to USB bus sharing with other devices. Where ethernet had its own chipset.

The latest video from AVForums

AVForums Movies Podcast: Streaming Theatrical Releases And The Future Of Cinema
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom