55mu6400 pls or va panel?

Discussion in 'What Is The Best TV For You?' started by Edgeington, Apr 8, 2018.

1. Edgeington

Edgeington
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Hi all,

Long term lurker! I have read several threads about the 55mu6400. I cannot see whether or not this has a pls or va screen. I would be very grateful if anyone could let me know?

I have a 40mu6400 which is va and i am very impressed by. Also if anyone can point me in the direction of how to access the service menu of this range of tvs?

Thanks
    Ed

2. Edgeington

Edgeington
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Just in case anyone needs to know in the future I have answered my own question. This website shows it as VA. If anyone has any info on accessing service menu for this tv I would still like to know. Thanks in advance. Its hard work replacing a broken gt50:( from a toddler related incident!

54.6" Samsung UE55MU6400 - Specifications

3. desinho

desinho

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +281
    There is no 'PLS' panel for tv's. What is generally mistaken for PLS is actually the 'ADS' listed on there (in the end they're all just IPS types).
    So you could get either ... The 'Version 02' seems to be an IPS version so definitely avoid that one (can be found on the sticker on the back where the connections are).
    Easiest way to enter service menu is borrow a classic Samsung remote and the standard procedure.

4. Dodgexander

Dodgexander

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,032
    In the UK there's more of a chance it will be IPS type, at least from user feedback on here. Theres a chance it will be VA though.

Service menu should be the same as here:
    Unlocking Bluetooth on the Samsung MU6290 -...

Don't always trust displayspecifications.com, just like you or I the info they have is only retrieved online from different sources. Sadly though they are using different panels in different regions and maybe even both IPS type and VA in the UK.

5. Analysis

Analysis

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +292
    It's been most of the time on that site listed as ADS for the best part of a year so they might have some of that model as VA in the wild as well but it's not a great source of info to be honest as it can be completely wrong in a lot of cases.

It's strange as Samsung make VA panels for other companies for other sets at that size e.g Sony XE70 but not all of their own products, it's a real panel lottery with them.

As far as I know BOE have the best panels for that particular type.

At the end of the day it's IPS at heart.

6. Edgeington

Edgeington
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Thank you very informative replies. It is so frustrsting. I made it into the service menu but cannot really decode this as to panel types. It is version 9?!

It is frustrating as you would think I could tell the difference but home is so different to the showroom, and compounded by RS telling me they used the same panel in all of their machines. The light bleed is not that noticeable most of the time , but I am sat watching thinking is this contrast good enough, it seems awful in comparison to my old panny! However the colours are more vibrant ....

7. Dodgexander

Dodgexander

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,032
    It will be pretty obvious if you have an IPS panel for two reasons, first in the dark with the lights off when you notice horrible screen uniformity, secondly the picture won't look monochrome so much when you view at a tight angle.

If you have a camera with a good zoom you can take a close up picture of the pixels such as the pictures found here: Samsung телевизори 2017 - Страница 50

Ironically there is a picture in that like of a 55MU6400 with an IPS type (PLS) panel. But you can also see what TVs with VA panels look like really up close.

Reading the panel type in the service menu you can use these guidelines: Samsung телевизори 2017 - Страница 50

Use a translator like google translate if it doesn't automatically pop-up for you.

8. Edgeington

Edgeington
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Thanks again. Ill try to get a photo with an dslr later.

The code is m55a6u1f20. To be honest i cant work it out from that! The assistant in JL claimed that if I tapped the screen and a section 'blinked' it was VA. By this test it is VA. Also the blacks just don't look that bad, unless compared to my old dead panny. Maybe i have been lucky...

I dont know if this is of interest but in conversation the assistant claimed panasonic were moving to ips in their fx 2018 range...

9. desinho

desinho

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +281
    The bolded part is the most important: 55 for the screen size, A for the panel manufacturer (A=Samsung, so a VA), 6 for the (50)60hz refresh rate and U for the filter on the panel (U for the Ultra Clear filter)
    The 'Version' can be found on the sticker on the back of the set near the connections? Would be helpful to know :smashin:

10. Edgeington

Edgeington
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    It is a version 9. Thanks for your help. I really thought it was behaving like a va and it was frustrating me that most else seemed to say otherwise!

The difficulty is coming from an excellent plasma, for blacks nothing in my price range was going to come close.

Awesome help from this forum.

Thanks all.

11. Analysis

Analysis

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +292
    Thanks for the tip, and yes we are all aware, I queried this once the FX series was announced on here as we had some suspicions this would be the case for 2018, LG and BOE have made inroads with a lot of makers for this year, VA models will be in shorter supply for this year I think.

Panasonic have mainly been an IPS company anyhow for some time but have used Innolux / Chi Mei for some of there sets such as the EX700 & EX750 from 2017.

Myself, @desinho and @Dodgexander also spend time here to try to find out these type of queries from people who can find out this information within the industry, then we can steer the queries on this thread much more informed, reviews and camera pics can also help as well.

I'm glad you have a VA panel as you will have a better picture overall, the contrast ratio normally gives it away, and the ADS - IPS panel does indeed have it's uses as well for wide viewing arrangements and I prefer this over say a LG RGBW IPS model, infact I forgot to say before LG do use BOE for their sets as well sometimes but this tv is a nice set overall.

Again, with Samsung you just never know until you get it home and start digging around. ;)

12. desinho

desinho

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +281
    Can you show a picture? Usually it is 'Version No: 0x' like

mu7005-conexiones2.jpg

[​IMG]

13. Edgeington

Edgeington
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Hi thanks. Its a great job you guys do, helping to level an uneven market. I think the practice of using different panels in the same model is close to scandalous. The version that you end up with could be different to the version in the shop and to the reviews.

I attach the picture of the back, I have obscured the sn but if you need it dm me.

I picked this set up from RS on a price match with coop electrical for 549 (now expired) with 6yr warranty. As it comes with the va panel I think this was a good price .

Thanks again.

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
    Last edited: Apr 10, 2018
  14. desinho

desinho

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +281
    That's fine already :smashin: (thought you might have meant 09 with 9). I believe the ....K2 part of the serial number means it was manufactured in February 2018

15. Analysis

Analysis

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +292
    Unfortunately this is how it is in the industry and has been for some time, build quality has taken a real nosedive in the last few years and will just get worse I think and if you get 5 years out of a tv nowadays you have done good, that is why we now have those long warranties being offered by the likes of John Lewis and Richer Sounds.

Samsung are the worst offenders for sure but others are also pretty bad, most of the traditional makers like Sony and Panasonic have been using 3rd party panels since they closed their own production lines down over the years, Phillips no longer make tv's themselves, they are made by TP Vision, which is based in Hong Kong, TCL have their own production in house and Hisense use a mixture of companies for panels.

e.g Sharp is now owned by Foxconn, which uses Innolux who also makes panels for Panasonic.

Another example is that OLED models from all the makers, the panels used are all made by LG Display currently.

I think this will change in future with TCL and Hisense coming to the market and making OLED more affordable.

16. desinho

desinho

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +281
    What Samsung does is quite different from the other manufacturers (bar Vizio maybe but we don't get them here anyway). With Samsung you can have up to four different panels in a single size of a single model, with the rest for a certain size all the panels are normally the same one but might just be because of the volume of sales for Samsung vs the rest. I did come across one Philips that was reviewed in June with an IPS panel and another review in February the next year had a VA panel (of the variety I had never seen before).
    Sharp panels also still exist, the upcoming Sony XF83 series will be using them for sure (just like the 60 and 70" version of the X690E on Rtings).

17. Dodgexander

Dodgexander

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,032
    It was Foxconn(Sharp) that we're set to buy Vizio in the US. I think the deal collapsed after being blocked by US government If I remember right.

I remember sharp having some decent TV's back in the day.

18. Analysis

Analysis

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +292
    This is useful for others to know in future, good feedback as always.

They were really big in the 80's, my brother in law owned a Double VHS player with which you could make copies from the rental shop in the local town, I also had a Sharp VCR from Comet, cost me £80 along with my Hitachi, was very well built.

I forgot to say Dodge but after 10+ years of trusty service, the tv outlived 10 consoles over that period, many gaming memories for sure, probably will never be repeated due to how games are nowadays.

I've just sold my Sharp last saturday, got 100€, the guy picked it up and it looks like it's gone to a good home, he's using it as a second display with his projector.

I've only owned 5 tv's in 28 years, Phillips, Hitachi, Panasonic, Sharp, now Sony.