55inch LCD TV to replace Samsung KS8000

Omega Point

Standard Member
Reaction score
I'm looking to buy a 55inch TV to replace a Samsung KS8000. I watch enough content with static elements that I don't want to risk OLED, plus my room is quite well lit. Can't be bigger than 55 inches as the space it needs to fit it won't allow anything bigger

I'm looking for the following features:
  • Dolby Vision
  • VRR
  • 120Hz
  • ALLM
  • At least Full Array Dimming, but ideally mini LED - My KS8000 has very good peak brightness, but is edge lit so contrast suffers
HDR10+ support would be nice to have, but not essential as I only have small number of films in HDR10+

Will be used for a mix of Films, TV shows & gaming, the only sport I watch is Formula 1.

I already have an Apple TV 4K, Nvidia Shield TV Pro & Roku Streaming Stick so I won't be using any built in smart TV apps.

I'm currently looking at the TCL C835, Sony X90K & LG QNED86. Struggling to find a lot of detailed reviews for any of them, the LG especially.

Last edited:
I have just done a google search I don't see any other mini led sets in stock at 55 inch apart from the ones you listed in the post unless going to 65 inch.
Sony X90K maybe the best one.

Thanks, I did look at the Samsung QN85 but the Samsung's lack of Dolby Vision support made me discount any of their TVs. Not much HDR10+ content compared to DV.

Does seem that 55" is no longer getting higher end features. Annoying for those of us with limited space, even rearranging my room wouldn't help much

I'd recommend avoiding TVs with IPS panels like LG's QNED models or the Samsung 85 series.
You need to look at TCL and Sony only. The C825/C835 models are closer to the X95K/X95J than the X90K, Chinese companies sell with a lower profit margin.

I'd recommend avoiding TVs with IPS panels like LG's QNED models or the Samsung 85 series.
You need to look at TCL and Sony only. The C825/C835 models are closer to the X95K/X95J than the X90K, Chinese companies sell with a lower profit margin.
Thanks for the advice, makes the decision a bit easier. I'm leaning towards the TCL due to better local dimming, thought reports of QC issues are making me pause. I'm not expecting 0 DSE, my KS8000 has some visible on solid colour content as it is, so might just need to chance it and hope I could return it if it was too noticeable.

That’s the problem imho TCL TVs have poor build and can’t see them lasting long reading reviews

I've decided to hold off for Rtings review of the QNED85. I've seen good reports that the MiniLED helps make up for the IPS contract deficiencies & that is has better blooming control than the X90K & X95K. Just need to see some numbers to back that up

I wouldn't have much hope. TV's that are using VA panels with good local dimming already struggle at times with black levels and detail and this will be exasperated even more by the use of an IPS panel.

The balance between keeping blacks, black, but retaining detail in the image is a constant one, and something TV's using IPS panels will always falter on. You can already see this with the review of the QNED90.

Typically a TV that needs stronger local dimming to harness the light is going to crush more detail, whereas a TV that can harness light better to begin with has more wiggle room to display detail without local dimming needing to kick in and crush some detail.

Reviews I've seen, less detailed than rtings though, say it is a significant improvement over last years QNED models. If the review comes in and its still bad I might end up waiting and to see if the presumably "X90J" is MiniLED. Or for TCL to fix their firmware problems, as I've seen reports of bugs that would impact my usage.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom