• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

55ES8000 and smart hub sound to amp ?

canada16uk

Hey, I just managed to get sound to my TX-NR818 from the smart hub when I want to use netflix and Plex.

But I only managed to do this via Optical. Is there a way I can get sound through from HDMI ?

Also I can watch all my movies from the plex app, but it only goes to DTS or dolby, but no Master audio, and I am wondering if The sound through optical is the issue.

Anyway, my question is really, can I get sound through the ES8000 via a HDMI or is it Optical only?

Thanks so much.

Japizky

Standard Member
Use hdmi(arc) socket from your sammy. Im not home atm but if I can remember correctly then try to set rhid ON from the amp settings. This should do the job.:smashin:

canada16uk

So if I use ARC, were should the HDMI go into the amp? PC1 or CBL/SAT ect...

I tried putting the HDMI in the ARC today, but my sammy would not pick up HDMI 2 when I select source content via the remote, Dont know why.

I am happy with DTS or Dolby via Plex, but if it supports Master Audio via HDMI then that would be amazing, as Plex is playing all my files, but the ones with Master Audio or Dolby HD just downgrades to 3.0 normal analogue, but the movies that have DTS or Dolby, like TV series in HD, this still says DTS or Dolby on my amp.

I would have thought if a movie was master audio, it would down sample to DTS or Dolby, not just a normal Analogue audio.

Thanks again.

Please help, as loving the Apps and especially the Plex App.

Fox McCloud

If I recall from the D8000 you need the HDMI lead in the socket marked ARC and your receiver needs to support ARC. Also i believe the TV will only pass up to Dolby Digital Plus and not the HD codecs like DTS MA or TRUEHD. Any videos with those codecs will be down sampled. You can see what codecs the TV supports as usually on the back you will see the Dolby logos near the sockets. If there are the HD ones then you are in luck.

You may need to alter some settings in the menu regarding sound output. I.e bitstream instead of pcm and the like.

Hope that helps

Japizky

Standard Member
"Audio Return Channel (ARC) function

The Audio Return Channel (ARC) function enables an HDMI capable TV to send the audio stream to HDMI OUT MAIN on the AV receiver.

• This function can be used when: – Your TV is ARC capable, and –The TV/CD input selector is selected, and –“HDMI Control(RIHD)” is set to “On”(➔ page 75), and –“Audio Return Channel” is set to “Auto” (➔ page 76)."

This is straight from the onkyo manual. So basicly connect hdmi to your sammy arc socket and the other end of the wire to onkyos hdmi out main socket. After this go to onkyo menu and set rihd on and audio return channel to auto-mode.

canada16uk

"Audio Return Channel (ARC) function

The Audio Return Channel (ARC) function enables an HDMI capable TV to send the audio stream to HDMI OUT MAIN on the AV receiver.

• This function can be used when: – Your TV is ARC capable, and –The TV/CD input selector is selected, and –“HDMI Control(RIHD)” is set to “On”(➔ page 75), and –“Audio Return Channel” is set to “Auto” (➔ page 76)."

This is straight from the onkyo manual. So basicly connect hdmi to your sammy arc socket and the other end of the wire to onkyos hdmi out main socket. After this go to onkyo menu and set rihd on and audio return channel to auto-mode.

Uhm.. Interesting.

Thanks so much and lets hope this helps.

Will report back this afternoon.

canada16uk

OK Update:
Yes this worked and thanks so much, but seems I will only get DTS and not master audio, such a shame, maybe samsung can get plex to get some codecs sorted, but doubtful.

But I am not getting HD on netflix now, its really bad quality, and cant figure our how to change this, even though its saying Super HD. It looks worse than VHS.

I am on the newest firmware.

Any help on this ?

Thanks again

Japizky

Standard Member
Glad to hear that you got it working! :)

What connection you got? Was the video quality better before? Try some speed test with your sammy web browser and see what that gives to you.

The latest video from AVForums

Fidelity in Motion's David Mackenzie talks about his work on disc encoding & the future of Blu-ray
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom