55E6V: what exactly does OLED surround do?

Discussion in 'LG TVs Forum' started by Billythekid, Dec 15, 2016.

1. Billythekid

Billythekid
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Bought an OLED55E6V a couple of months ago and absolutely love it. Having blown more than £2.5K I will have to raise my persuasion game to a new level to acquire a suitable sound set up to match and that will probably be well after Christmas.

In the meantime the built in soundbar is good, BUT, as the question says, what is OLED surround supposed to do? I have it turned on, with the mode as Standard(user) and I can't detect any difference at all, on or off in any sound mode, with any source. The manual is painfully limited. Am I missing something obvious. Quite happy to appear dim - I'm just curious.

2. GAmbrose

GAmbrose

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +245
    Probably trying to emulate surround sound.

3. daveh48

daveh48

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +488
    Most likley, as said above, a pseudo surround sound which I think is accomplished by forcing a slight delay on some frequencies therefore giving the impression of surround sound. Not tried it on my E6 but it was always a bit hit or miss.

It does work okay on the better end sound bars where there is an array of small speakers, a friend has a Panasonic set up but even that can't produce the full sound you get with an AV amp and 5.1 speaker system.

4. Billythekid

Billythekid
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Thanks to both of you for replying. I didn't ask my question very well and I apologise. I had already guessed the purpose of OLED surround in general terms, what I was more concerned with is that it doesn't actually seem to do anything - at all - whether on or off, or in any combination of source or sound setting.

I assumed that simply turning it on in the settings would trigger an effect of some sort that would actually be detectable, whether it works as intended or not. What I actually find is no change at all. My really question is 'Does my set have a fault or is there a particular combination of settings or particular input required?'.

Thanks again for taking the time to reply and sorry for my lack of clarity.

5. daveh48

daveh48

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +488
    Hi,

Have you done the 'Magic Sound Tuning' or used the 'Equaliser' that may help but I've just tried the surround setting and like you can't really hear much difference. I use the 'Cinema' setting but only really use the internal speaker for News and the bosses soaps.

I don't think you've got a faulty set it just needs a bit of tweaking.

6. Billythekid

Billythekid
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Hi daveh48 - and thanks for taking time to check!

I think you're right. I've been rechecking and I do hear a difference. It isn't easy to get a quick a/b comparison so I resorted to the supplied test music. It's a subtle difference and I'd say that they haven't really aimed to emulate surround sound sound, but to add a bit of space to the channels. Anyway - that's it for my sound experiments for the time being.

7. Bacus

Bacus
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,912
    To be honest the E6 sound bar/speaker bar offering different sound options is a bit pants really !!
    Basic set up with the sound is not bad but at the end of the day when your spending this kind of money on a TV screen its daft not to have it hooked up to a good av system.

8. Billythekid

Billythekid
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I tend to agree. I asked LG and was told 'given the sound bar is a 2.2 channel this is only an effect so is not the same as having it play through a multi channel system, therefore the difference will be small'.