55cx5lb sound quality.

SSThing

Established Member
Reaction score
I took delivery of my new 55cx5lb (after owning an ec930v for about 6 years, perhaps longer) on Tuesday.
It's all set up and, after tweaking, I am extremely pleased with the picture. UHD documentaries on iPlayer are beautiful.
But.... And it's a massive BUT!
What's with the sound?
I will struggle to explain this but it just sounds odd. A bit like a cheap radio, it has a residual tinniness which is especially noticeable on voices. I have been through everything I can find in the settings. Done the calibration, tried it with bass on/off, treble on/off, adjusted the equaliser, tried all the different sound modes (clear voice is by far the worst) and tried with all the processing options off. The easiest to listen to is "standard" but even this has an edginess to the high end that is offputting, like there is still some processing being applied or the kids have been messing with the sliders on the equaliser.
I have used it for the last few days (just in case it needed "running in" a bit) but it's annoying me now. And I really don't want to have my home cinema on just for normal viewing.
Are they all the same?
What do other owners think about the sound on their TV's.

Cheers.

If this helps the explanation, if I have the TV on in the background while I am reading (so not really taking any notice of what is actually being said) I am aware of a very high, tinny tsssss tsssss tsssss kind of sound at the end of spoken words. If I turn on AI Sound Pro it's awful.

There's no room for decent sized speakers in thin TV's.
Use your home cinema or buy a cheap soundbar.

There's no room for decent sized speakers in thin TV's.
Use your home cinema or buy a cheap soundbar.
I realise that but my ec930v was absolutely fine (and obviously there's not much difference structurally).
The daft thing is, my initial impression was that the audio was much better than my ec930v but this is odd. I am watching/listening to Wimbledon and it is very noticeable on the commentary.
I am going to give it a week to see if it settles down and if not, unfortunately I may ask for a replacement.

have you tried anything other than OTA TV?
ie something with a higher quality audio track?

Quick update.
For the second morning on the trot, I have turned on the TV and discovered that there are big gaps in the Freeview channel list (down from 161 to 82).
The sound is getting worse.
I am confident that I have tried everything now, so I am going to request a replacement.

Replacement has arrived thanks to to superb customer service from Richer Sounds.
Out of the box there is definitely a difference, the most obvious being that the "standard" picture mode is easily watchable whereas the other set I had to immediately choose one of the "expert" options and do my own tweaks. The audio is currently running "AI Sound Pro" and is so far OK.
Just downloading the new firmware, I really hope that the problems I had before aren't introduced by the update.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom