55B7 - First impressions

Discussion in 'LG TVs Forum' started by marcosscriven, Jan 5, 2018.

1. marcosscriven

marcosscriven

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +23
    Thought I'd share my first impressions.

Firstly, it's probably worth mentioning I'm coming from a 2004 50" Pioneer (PDP-504 HDE), which is of course only 720p. It also had a couple of pixels stuck on green. Cost over £5k at the time (oh for my wasteful youth). In my old age a (little) bit more prudent, and got the LG for £1349 via John Lewis price match.

The good:
    1. 1080p is a novelty - even that I was happy with
    2. Blacks - as everyone said, were great. In fact, better than my old plasma
    3. webOS interface is pretty good
    4. Sound is astonishingly good for its size
    5. 4k + HDR - wow. I think it's more the HDR that's making a difference (Blue Planet II HLG incredible)
    6. Because of the thin bezels, quite a bit smaller than my old plasma, even though picture 5" larger on the diagonal.

The not-so-good:
    1. I do notice very feint horizontal banding on uniform colours (which is usually only in menus etc). I find this slightly odd as most posts I can find talk about vertical banding.
    2. I find myself being a bit paranoid about news channel tickers and burn in.
    3. Magic remote pointer is a bit confusing at first, as it seems to be accelerometer based, rather than the IR led+webcam in Wii remotes. It means position is only relative to how you're holding the remote, and nothing to do with whether you're pointing towards the TV. I work around it by sort of 'recalibrating' by moving the pointer to the edge of the screen.
    4. Keyboard and audio text entry completely non-standard across the various apps, which sent me back unfortunately to using the Apple TV
    5. (Nerd alert) I tried to man-in-the-middle the wifi connection, to see what it was connecting to. However, the certs are locked down. What I did see though is the TV is very chatty, and it concerns me LG might be doing more spying than I'd like.

• Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
    • List
  2. marcosscriven

marcosscriven

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +23
    Note re point 1 on banding, it does seem to be getting a little worse. I've posted here about that JL and LG Banding

3. asabrag

asabrag

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    I got over the paranoid retention on news channel, follow my recomendation and start watching news without worring about retention again:
    1: activate live zoom
    2: zoom enough to get the banners outside the screen