55 XF 9005 motion judder stutter

ZJZ

Novice Member
Reaction score
Hi,
Recently got 55" xf9005. Been playing since with motion settings. Ones that I found usable are Smooth and Standard. Custom gives me the same results as the first two.
BUT in all of them there is very pronounced Judder (or Stutter?) when there is vertical or horizontal pan camera movement. The only way to avoid it is Motion - Film mode - Medium or High. Judder is then gone but picture is pure Soap effec.
Anybody has simmilar experience or maybe I have faulty TV set?

Thanks

P.S.
True cinema and Off settings are very jerky all the time.

It's a fine line between smooth playback and SOE, for Netflix and Prime I use Film Mode High/True Cinema.

Thanks Mallett and md.

Either my tv is faulty piece or I'm in for a really big disappointement with Sony movement processing.

I tried all the possible settings (and combinations) I could find here and anywhere else..... and then some of my own.

Test object Netflix.

Results: true cinema and off have tremenduos judder. Literaly unwatchable.
Most of the others are somewhat better but still very noticable judder.

To make it short.....only setting that eliminates judder is Smooth - Film mode (medium/high) but then I get very strong ghosting and SOE.

I had zero motion issues with my previous TV regardless of the source.

To be honest I am very disappointed if this is considered to be today's best motion procesing.

Time to find some old Cathode tube TV.

Last edited:
Thanks Mallett and md.

Either my tv is faulty piece or I'm in for a really big disappointement with Sony movement processing.

I tried all the possible settings (and combinations) I could find here and anywhere else..... and then some of my own.

Test object Netflix.

To make it short.....only setting that eliminates judder is Smooth - Film mode (medium/high) but then I get very strong ghosting and SOE.

To be honest I am very disappointed if this is considered to be today's best motion procesing.

If you want to watch content as it was literally shot and produced and 'intended to be watched', then you should set Motionflow to True Cinema with Film mode High.

If you would like to alleviate motion blur a little then set Motionflow to Custom, Smoothness 0, Clearness 1, Film mode High.

If you still don't like it then you obviously just don't like 24p content.

Do you go to the cinema or do you find that too bluury/juddery/stuttery???

This is a pointless retort. Cinema doesn't have judder or motion blur because it works differently from the sample-and-hold technique of the LCDs.

This is a pointless retort. Cinema doesn't have judder or motion blur because it works differently from the sample-and-hold technique of the LCDs.

Sorry really didn't mean it to come across like that!!

I put a lot of time and effort into answering questions about the motion settings, even creating that thread I linked you earlier. I'm happy to help so apologies again if I came across in a bad way. I must have misinterpreted what you were saying.

If you use clearness at 1 then this will do localised, zonal BFI which should reduce somewhat the effect of sample and hold.

The awkward thing is if you are using native TV apps, they all refresh by default at 60hz (except for iPlayer which changes the TV to 100hz refresh rate), and so to get 24p content into its correct frame rate you have to have film mode on Medium or High (high is needed to get motion interpolation on interlaced source content). But then having Film mode on Medium/High with Smoothness > 0 then results in frame interpolation and therefore SOE. Hence me saying if you want to see content as it was intended (i.e the correct frame rate) but with some reduced motion blur due to sample and hold, then Custom Smoothness 0 Clearness 1 Film mode High might be the way to go for you. Or perhaps you could try smoothness at 1 becasue I find this doesn't really add much SOE (to my eyes).

The only other thing I can suggest trying is if you have an external device which can auto switch refresh rate to match source frame rate, e.g. ATV4K or Roku Stick + etc. This way you can get say ATV4K to be outputting 24hz for Netflix, which allows Film mode to be Off, then you could habve Motionflow Custom with Clearness 1, but then Smoothness at a level of your choosing and then you get some subtle what appears to be frame blending of some sort where motion is a bit smoother but not to my eyes in an SOE sort of way?

Let me know what you think.

Cheers.

Thanks Mallett and md.

Test object Netflix.

Motion is excellent on this set. If Mallets very helpful advice doesn't resolve it then I suspect you have a faulty set or there is a problem with the program feed. Could it be an issue with your internet if its on content via apps?

If you want to watch content as it was literally shot and produced and 'intended to be watched', then you should set Motionflow to True Cinema with Film mode High.

If you would like to alleviate motion blur a little then set Motionflow to Custom, Smoothness 0, Clearness 1, Film mode High.

Thanks Mallett
I don't know about directors intentions but shaky is ...
.... simply shaky.

Yep I tried True cinema on Netflix and its by far the worst. It's like watching those cartoons drawn in a notebook and then flipping pages, shaky as hell.
By the way, all settings changes I've done in picture mode Custom.

At home I have high speed fiber optic connection and use TV's netflix app.
As I said, only Motion-Smooth and Film mode-medium/high are clean but then ther's heavy ghosting and SOE so I have settled for Standard or Custom
(smoothness set at 2/3, clear at 0/1) motion and medium or high Film mode. In those settings motion is relatively ok other than horizontal or vertical camera pan shot which is still rather shaky.

P.S
Is there any signal difference in US and EU based Netflix Accounts?

Last edited:

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom