55" tv ps3 and sky hd

johndoe1

was just going to buy nay util I read about lags.. are there any 55" + that are ok? 3d a bonus. about £1200.

vickster

Distinguished Member

johndoe1

just one of the lg's 60" plasma about a grand. LG - 60PZ570T something like that

Should haev said - I'm not fussed about smart tv or anythign like that.. or connectivity as my map handles that.

Last edited:

johndoe1

those sammys are nice and big - thanks for the pointers. Will look at differences in the models etc.. the 3d whilst probably getting used very little is a bojnus but I do wonder about those active glasses. MWas looking at the 55" lg plasma as they are passive but thats another discussion.

Scooby2000

Distinguished Member
those sammys are nice and big - thanks for the pointers. Will look at differences in the models etc.. the 3d whilst probably getting used very little is a bojnus but I do wonder about those active glasses. MWas looking at the 55" lg plasma as they are passive but thats another discussion.

Samsungs have better PQ than LG this year, better value sets IMO.
LG plasmas are active, LCDs are passive.

Scooby2000

Distinguished Member
is there a decent 55" set with passive?

The LG 55LW980 may be worth a look, still not seen one myself yet. Depends what you want the set to be decent at really. Passive 3D is considered better by some, though I think both have strong pros and cons.
LCD vs plasma for everything else, plasma wins for me in every way. Better motion for sport, lower lag for gaming, deeper more detailed blacks for films, more natural image for SD, no viewing angle restrictions, no clouding, back light bleed and no uniformity issues. LCDs can go brighter, cost a tad less to run, dont get IR and LED sets can be thinner.

johndoe1

If I just remove 3d all together.. are there any cheap decent sets for much less money? say £600-700? I know I got ym panny for £500 (50") and its fine.

vickster

Distinguished Member
Not bigger than 50" for that budget, no

johndoe1

after some reading of the 2 samsung plasmas suddnely my budget has increased.. the 6900 sets have anti reflective coating. This alone is worth the extra couple of hundred.. just need to find a killer deal now! thanks all.

johndoe1

I have ordered a PS59D550 from amazon warehouse (returns) fingers crossed its ok and that it doesn't die after 90 days.. but thats the gamble. Paid £895.

Now what glasses?

johndoe1

aaahhh - cancelled that order, decided the new set is for the lounge so gaming not required. So now I can go passive with a 55" set. Looking at the LG 55LW450U - LG seem to have the passive market sewn up, shame as that set whilst looking good doesnt seem the best 55" incher about.

johndoe1

talk about indecisive.. I just looke dat some active and passive sets in a shop.. the active pic was so much better on 3d material - massively better - the 3d image had a lot more depth and much more clarity.. night and day difference imho. I have once again placed an order for the PS59D550

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Trinnov Room Optimiser: A full explanation of Trinnov and its room optimiser technology
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom