55" TV - LG C1, wait for LG CS release or something else?

Dave Wishart

I'm needing to replace my venerable Sony and looking for something reasonable long term. It's in a room with a window behind it with viewing distance between 8.5' to 9'; is exceeding unlikely the boss will let me rearrange. The material will be in order of most watched:-
  1. Streaming from Disney+/Netflix/Synology NAS
  2. Disc playback from PS3 which will be upgraded sometime to something (x800M2/UB824)
  3. Linear HD TV

The default option seems to be the LG C1 but im wondering if being in a bright room will be a hinderance and whether the Panasonic TX55JZ1500B or Samsung QE55QN95A/QE55Q80B or Sony 55A84J would be a better option. I had discounted the LG G1 as other comments here suggested the £300 uplift wasn't worth it however this post from @Dodgexander suggests the LG 55G1 may work better for me:-

Uses new OLED panel with better durability, increased brightness for an astounding HDR picture, and better at coping in brighter rooms.

The final option is to wait out and see what the CS series is, see here as the new Alpha 9 Gen 5 processor may be a compromise over the unaffordable, for me, C2.

Irrespective of which display, I will need a VESA mount so I can place the current and future upgrade centre speaker; the current shortlist being:-

RFIVER Universal Swivel Table Top TV Stand Base TV Stand Replacement for 50 55 58 60 65 70 75 80 inch TVs with Height Adjustable Mount Bracket Cable Management max VESA 600x400mm max 50kgs

FITUEYES Swivel Table Top TV Stand for 50" to 85" LED OLED LCD Plasma Flat Curved Screens Heights Adjustable with 10mm Tempered Glass Base Cable Management & Holds 50kgs/110LBS Max. VESA 600x800mm

These may be a little overkill but I don't want an issues with a stand not holding the weight.

Thoughts?

Last edited:

niks123

Since you're planning to mount it, the C2 will be significantly lighter than the C1 - 12.7 kg without the stand vs 18.9kg - so maybe wait for that one. I've been planning to buy the C1 for couple of months now but since I'm also planning to wall mount it on an extendable wall mount ( this one ) , I decided to wait for C2 for the extra peace of mind.

Upvote 0

Dodgexander

It isn't going to be worth waiting for the new models unless you wait for their prices to come down. That won't be until around November/December time this year.
If you want an OLED better at coping with glare to buy currently, you should look at 2021 models with either a tuned panel like the Panasonic JZ1500/2000 or TVs that have the new type of panel already in 2021 like the LG G1 or Sony A90J.

In my guide here you can see models that cope with glare decently:

Even TVs like the LG C1 do well in this area, despite not being as bright.

The Sony A80J/A84J (same TV, different aesthetics) shouldn't be using a new type of panel, neither is its brightness tuned like Panasonic JZ1500/JZ2000...still, like the LG C1, it will probably be fine in your living room.

Regarding OLED vs LCD like the QN94A or QN95A you have to think about not only how bright your room can get but also when you watch the TV. No good getting a TV that works well in a bright room if you aren't going to watch very often when its bright...which let's face it in the UK isn't very often!

As for the VESA mount, all you have to do is match the weighted weight of the mount to the TV and the VESA spacings. There's no need to worry about which stand you buy. If its rated and mounted correctly (eg not on plasterwall) then it will hold the TV. There's no such thing as a mount being too cheap.

Upvote 0

Dave Wishart

Maybe I didn't explain properly, the TV will be table mounted on this with the window behind it extending in width 2 ft either side of the TV. The reason for the VESA is to lift up enough so I can slot in the centre speaker in leaving the TV a bit clearer than currently positioned. I get rating is the important factor so probably £80 on a stand is overkill. The JZ2000 is around £2000 from what I can see with the A90 pushing £2400 so unless there’s a significant price drop both are way out of budget and additionally the JZ1500 appears to rank the same as the JZ2000 in terms of picture.

The room is NW facing so really only gets full sun in the late afternoon and when it does and the family has a need, we’d close the non blackout curtains. So potentially given @Dodgexander ’s comments it might not be the case I need a really bright TV so I suspect the Samsungs could be ruled out leaving a straight fight between LG G1, Panasonic JZ1500 with the Sony A80J a close third. Probably a look/play in a shop and a look at the owners threads is needed.

Thanks!

B4DF017D-2534-43F2-8548-632AF6F9D246.jpeg

Upvote 0

Dave Wishart

Currently, The A90J and C2 are near £2k and I’ll be end of the year/next before pricing comes down. I’ve not read up enough to judge that the £600 premium is worth it. This leaves the A80J/C1/G1. Given my bright room in daytime I’m thinking the G1.

Upvote 0

Dodgexander

The premium on new stock this time of year is never, never worth it. Year to year the improvements that are made are not great enough to warrant paying inflated release prices. The fact the 2022 C2 is selling for the same price as the 2021 A90J tells you all you need to know about how overpriced the new LG currently is. The Sony, being the best OLED in their lineup, that this time last year was selling for £2700.

Upvote 0

Dave Wishart

Given I can’t really wait I ended up with the G1 as I took a risk with an open boxed one discounted from Richer Sounds. Hopefully the gamble will be worth it. 🤞

561D58C2-A9AA-468C-A1D6-36E31F417740.jpeg

Upvote 0

The latest video from AVForums

Samsung S95B QD-OLED Review - A Quantum Leap for OLED!
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom