Question 55" TV at around £600 price range

Discussion in 'What Is The Best TV For You?' started by cocomango, Nov 24, 2017.

1. cocomango

cocomango
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Dear AV experts,

I'd appreciate your help in choosing a new 55" TV for my living room. I'm looking to spend around £600 and have the following constraints:

1. What are your sources going to be? Mainly Sky HD, Amazon and Netflix. Ocassional PS3 use and Blu Ray.
    2. SD vs HD vs UHD use percentage? Mainly HD. Not sure what UHD is available on Netflix/Amazon.
    3. Movies, sport, console games, PC use (in percentage)? Mainly watching movies or documentaries. Rarely sports.
    4. How close can you view the TV? Viewing distance is approx 3 metres
    5. Do you need to view the TV from the side or only straight on? Viewing both from the side and straight on.
    6. What conditions do you like to view in? During the day? At night with lights on? In the dark? Mostly at night with dimmed lights on.
    7. What are you currently using and what do you expect by upgrading to a new TV? I'm using an LG 39" TV which is about 4 years old.
    8. Are you interested in being able to use motion enhancements on your TV to reduce judder and/or reduce motion blur? I have no idea.
    9. I quite like the smart TV OS on the Samsung and LG, so I'd like to stick to one of these.
    Many thanks.

2. Dodgexander

Dodgexander

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,339
    Any LG from the models below (all the same PQ wise):

UJ630V - 50 / 60Hz, 8bit, 3840 x 2160, added Smart TV, Compatible HDR10 / HDR HLG, Dolby Digital Plus - black and brown frame, 2 black
    UJ634V - 50 / 60Hz, 8bit, WRGB, Direct Led, the same as above, frame in black and brown, half-moon in black and brown
    UJ635V - 50 / 60Hz, 8bit, WRGB, same as above black,
    UJ651V - 50 / 60Hz, 8bit, WRGB, the same with added Wide Color Gamut "WCG", metal and black frame, two metal legs
    UJ655V - 50 / 60Hz, 8bit, WRGB,
    UJ670V - 50 / 60Hz, 8bit, WRGB, + Edge Local Dimming, metal and black frame, metal
    halide mount UJ675V - 50 / 60Hz, 8bit, WRGB + Advanced Local Dimming + Magic remote,
    UJ701V - 50 / 60Hz, WRGB, + Harman Kardon Sound System 2.0, silver frame,
    UJ740V - 50 / 60Hz crescent stand , the top without Harman Kardon + support Dolby Vision ™,
    UJ750V - 50 / 60Hz, 8bit, WRGB, the upper + Edge LED Local Dimming, Multi- view and a headphone jack 1 (3.5mm Jack), recognition aloud by remote control frame in black and metal rack silver crescent

Wide colour gamut only useful with a HDR source.

Or Samsung 55MU6100/55MU6400 should use PLS panels for the wider viewing angles you need.

3. cocomango

cocomango
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks, your input is much appreciated. Is there a real difference in picture quality between the Samsung 55MU6100 and the 55MU6400? I see that the 6400 has a Freesat tuner, but that's not important to me. Samsung lists the picture quality index at 1500 for the MU6400 and 1300 for the MU6100, but I'm not sure if this is means much or not.

4. Dodgexander

Dodgexander

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,339
    Ignore picture quality index, its a formula Samsung make it up so they can justify you paying more for a better PQI rated model.

The MU6100 and MU6400 will both be the same panels. The MU6400 has a wide colour gamut when used with HDR, largely useless at this budget where in most cases HDR is best disabled anyway.

Depending on the price difference I wouldn't pay the extra for the MU6400 but perhaps if it was only £50 more it would be worth it, just for the chance you are ever in a situation where HDR doesn't look better turned off.

5. cocomango

cocomango
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Many thanks for your help. This is very useful.