55" SXRD - To Buy or Not to Buy??

Discussion in 'General TV Discussions Forum' started by JC74, Jan 13, 2008.

1. JC74

JC74

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Ok, I have found a 55A2000 and have it reserved :clap:

:rolleyes: Im just not sure if its the right TV for me any more? I will be feeding it SD from XBOX (EDTV via XBMC?), DVD, LD (remember those), TV etc and intended buying into HD Via PS3 & XB360, it would also be good to be able to plug my PC in and run it at 1920x1080. We don't actually watch that much TV but might add SKY HD at some point for the Rugby!

My main concerns are:

1) 3:2 judder and the lack of HD players that have 48hz output (are there are any?)

2) 4-5% over scan when feeding via PC at 1920x1080. I assume this is via VGA? What happens if I go via DVI>HDMI?

I'm toying with the idea of adding a Lumagen a) to achieve the 48hz required for smoother HD playback and b) to help out the Laserdisc player... (with the extra cost of the Lumagen would I be better to go for a plasma and put up with the Laserdisc quality?)

What do you think? Are my concerns valid or should I just go and pick it up tomorrow and enjoy it for what it is!

Cheers

2. NicolasB

NicolasB

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,046
    The TV's film mode processing is good enough to perform 3:2 pulldown for standard-definition material (albeit with a 60Hz output, I think). For hi-def 60Hz material you'll need to set the player to output 1080p/60 rather than 1080p/24. Either will give you a little judder, but 60Hz judder is (IMO) one of the most ridiculously overblown issues in AV; many people can't see it at all.

The quoted overscan figure is for using HDMI input. VGA is actually the TV's weakest point; if you feed it 1080p over VGA it scrambles it completely - ends up downscaling to about half the full resolution in both directions. Lower resolutions are displayed with a large black border around the screen. (This can be problematic with an Xbox 360 as the TV can't accept a 1080p signal over component either - only 1080i or 720p).

It is actually possible to eliminate overscan with a 1080i/1080p HDMI input if you wish, but doing so causes you to lose 1:1 pixel-mapping, so most people choose not to. If you're using it with a PC you can use an Nvidia utility or Powerstrip to output something like 1824x1026 letterboxed within a 1920x1080 image - that looks very nice.

3. JC74

JC74

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    NicolasB, I did start to think that people were perhaps starting to 'bash' the technology simply because it wasn't the latest thing...

I'm going to have another look at it today and will either walk away or put it in the car!

Cheers

4. tonyl59

tonyl59

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15
    Just to help convince myself that you haven't reserved the one I am planning to go for, can you tell me whereabouts you are? Thanks!

5. mart.stokes

mart.stokes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I hope you have a BIG car. I also think the 3:2 issue is overblown; I can detect it on camera pans of a certain speed and other types of movement, but I have to look for the effect rather than watch the movie (and that's not what I should be doing :devil:).