55" Sony XH90 vs Hisense U8QF

klnfcb

Hello I consider two tvs to buy: Sony KD-55XH9096 and Hisense H55U8QF, unfortnatelly XH95 is too expensive for me and also Q80T is about 25% more expensive than XH90 so I also consider this tv but I'd prefer to go for less expensive XH90 or U8QF. TV will be for watching Netflix, YT, football matches and PS (for now PS4 but in the future PS5 also). Watching angles are not so important for me. I know that U8QF has HDR10+ and XH90 hasn't, but has it much influence for overall image quality? Does Hisense have HDMI 2.1? If that's true isn't that too big disadvantage in comparison to XH90? Though, point to Hisense is better brightness in HDR, so what are your opinions and suggestions?
Or maybe is that worth to pay extra for Q80T?

Dodgexander

The XH90 is not really a capable HDR TV at around 750 nits peak brightness, but is more than good enough for SDR use. It will mean if you use HDR on the TV it will often look too dark, some titles will be worse than others.

By comparison the U8Q is a much more capable HDR TV with around 1500 nits.

The Sony would be best if you want fast, featureful smart TV and a TV that is good with motion. The U8Q best if you want to use HDR with the TV.

The downsides to the U8Q is a known motion problem in dark scenes with blur, if you don't notice it its great, if you do, you may not be able to live with it.

Q80T would be much better choice, costs more money but can reach almost 1000 nits, the Sony XH95 even better, carries the same advantages as the U8Q with HDR but without the know motion blur issue.

klnfcb

Thank you for your answer!

About HDR, maybe you tell me how much I will use good HDR, I will watch netflix and YT and play games on PS4 for now, there will be no standard television connected, almost everything from network. I don't know much about HDR in practice, I know some netflix or YT videos have HDR, also some PS games have. I don't know how much percent of that content have HDR... Simplified I don't know how much good quality HDR will impact of my feeling about image quality or how big that difference will be in comparison XH90 vs U8Q, in practice this looks like whatever I will play on that tv, which has HDR implemented, it will play with HDR automaticly, if yes I will use that whereever it is possible ;) That "nits" show how much bright the screen will be in light scenes, but how about "blackness", there also will be differences between these two tvs in black deepness?
Maybe you can recommend some yt videos that I can play on both tvs to test quality of HDR? Are there videos which can show what that or another tv can do with HDR? Maybe I should go to the store and see on my own eyes that good HDR impact, especially to see that too dark scenes on XH90

I will watch also a lot of sports, mainly football so dynamic scenes and fast motion. But in sports there are no dark scenes, so Hisense will work in that case? Will be with the same quality as Sony?

About HDMI 2.1 it is similar case like HDR, I don't know how much I will need that feature in the future, it does not seem like there will be a lot of games in 4K 120 FPS. What else is HDMI 2.1 for?

You also said that Sony is more featureful and fast, so what features are missing in Hisense and does it have little bit slower software?

Dodgexander

Does this help you with HDR?

Its basically the next generation video format. On Netflix/Youtube you can't turn it off in-app, so you are stuck with the TV displaying it whether the TV does a good job, or not. It also varies on the title whether a TV like the Sony XH9005 will display it well, or with trouble. If you are using an external device though, you can disable HDR on the TVs HDMI port, or with consoles on the console direct.

If the HDR title has a peak light output that is lower, say 600-700 nits then the Sony XH9005 will be fine. However if the title has 1000 nits, 4000 nits or even 10,000 nits then 750 nits starts to be too little, and in those titles HDR will look too dark.

In terms of near to blacks, and the difference between blacks and whites (contrast). In HDR mode because of the increased brightness the U8Q will vastly outshine the XH9005. It also has more dimming zones than the Sony, and will be able to keep the dark parts of the picture black more easily. The Sony doesn't get as bright and its local dimming is decent, so it will also have good blacks, but without the increased contrast in HDR mode due to lower peak brightness.

With sports on the U8Q I don't think motion blur is often a problem, its more something you see when darker tones meet light, for instance; peoples faces in dark scenes as they move.

Really Hisense are undercutting the competition with the U8Q. Its more comparable to Sony's XH9505 than the XH9005. The XH9005 sits closer to the much cheaper U7Q with HDR performance, but beats it with motion.

I wouldn't bother to compare in a shop, you won't get a good impression of each TV until you've owned it and used the TV with the content you use.

HDMI 2.1 is something that may be useful in the future for gaming, but beware the Sony has a known problem in 120hz mode with blur. It doesn't seem to be solvable.

What I mean by featureful and fast is that the Sony runs Android TV on a faster SoC with more app choice. Basically means smart TV will have more apps, run faster and give you less trouble overall. (Although all smart TV built in has its own problems).

klnfcb

Thanks for your exhaustive answer!
Your link helped me, I've read about HDR but not that good article as yours!
About brightness, nits and cotrast now I know that U8Q is much better. I found a test where there was shown results of measurements of contrast and HDR brightness on that test "L20" screen but also in prepared scenes "based on real life" (dark sceen, dark sceen with bright elements, bright sceen with dark elements and so on). And Hisense was better than Sony in every test, Sony on "L20 lab" sceen (white rectangle on black background) had only 540 nits, but on special prepared for every tests real sceenes it was around 520-640 nits, Hisense had 1400 nits on theoretical sceen but on the real scenes from 630 to 965 nits. In contrast test Hisense everywhere had two times better results...

But I called to Hisense distributor today and they said that on polish market (I'm from Poland) there are tvs without android tv (like it has in UK or "western" markets) and only with "closed system" (like Samsungs Tizen) but very poor - only 3 or 4 usefull apps (YT, Netflix and one/two more) and no possibility to download anything. So that issue and that some motion problems (also something with red colour problems that we can read about Hisense tv) convinced me to buy Sony and I already ordered it (discount was to today).

I also compared tests results of XH90 to Q80T (the same conditions - few different scenes) and in contrast Sony was better on every scene! In HDR brightness Samsung was better but maximum on theoratical scene was 880 nits, on "real" scenes there was from 430 to 765 nits. Also this "expert" I called today said that he doesn't belive in 1000 nits of Q80T and based on his state of knowledge it can be 850 nits maximum, and asked if I'm sure that I mean Q80T, not Q90T or Q95T. So also based on those tests I chose XH90, maybe I would choose Q80T but it was 25% more expensive.

So thank you for your help and I hope Sony XH90 will be good choice for me!

Dodgexander

You have to be careful when making comparisons online since models in Europe are different from America.

For example, the Q80T in the Americas has the anti glare/wide viewing angle filter whilst the model in Europe does not. Also, the Q80T in Europe can get almost 1000 nits, whilst the American one only 850.

With Hisense the U8Q is a different TV from the American H9G. I think the H9G performs better overall, whereas the European model carries their own Viddau OS rather than Android (as you have already noted).

Either way it seems like you have figured out that you feel like the Sony XH90 is the TV for you. Unlike Hisense and Samsung models, that TV is the same as the X900H in the Americas.

klnfcb

Yes but the tests I found on polish website so there were (for 99% sure) tvs from market from my country. So results I described considered European models, I also don't think that guy I called had information about US models (that about that Q80T brightness)
And shame on Hisense for realeasing tvs for polish market without some features. I wonder how many people bought this tv basing on UK or other western countries reviews and then they've got unpleasant susprise...
But yes, Sony is my choice and many thanks for helping me to make my decision!

petr81

Hello which TV to choose Sony XH90 vs Hisense U8QF vs Q80T when not using HDR. We watch IPTV and kodi plus football thanks a lot for the info.

petr81

thanks I have two more questions is there some advantage with sony 10 bit panel and are these models the same ?
Sony Bravia KD-55XH9077
Sony Bravia KD-55XH9096

Dodgexander

Those are both the same TVs. The last two digits are just small variations of the same TV, usually so they can sell one in one area or retailer, and another separately.

Panel bit depth isn't really important. It only relates to HDR and how smooth the transition from one colour to another is and doesn't mean the TV can display better colours.

It also has no effect with SDR, as all source video is 8 bit.

petr81

thanks a lot for the information probably the last question is it a big difference between a panel which has 120Hz and which has 60Hz thanks.

Dodgexander

The main purpose of 120hz is so you can use motion settings on the TV more effectively to reduce motion blur and motion stutter. A 60hz TV can only use some basic settings, and will only work with TV or Film. Whilst a 120hz model gives you more settings and settings that can also work with sport.

120hz TVs also have less blur as they refresh faster.

petr81

so do you think it would be a move for the worse if I bought a tv with a 60Hz panel if I have 100Hz now ?
Thanks.

petr81

I know that this theme is about higher groups of TVs, but do you think that Hisense 65u7qf would be good substitute of that Samsung?
Thank you very much.

Dodgexander

The U7Q is the best budget TV you can buy overall. It would be a lot better than that Samsung provided you plan to pair the TV with high quality content.

If you are expecting an improvement with all content, maybe not. But that stands true for any TV really until you reach OLEDs.

VAblklvs249

Hello. How far has Sony improved comparing the Sony 49XH9505 with my Sony 55XE9005 ?

Dodgexander

Hello. How far has Sony improved comparing the Sony 49XH9505 with my Sony 55XE9005 ?
Not enough to warrant changing TVs. The XF9005 is said to be a copy of your TV, and the XH9505 a copy of the XF9005. You'll get a brighter image, more up to date HDMI ports and faster smart TV. But really its not worth the change from your TV. Best instead to set your eyes on an OLED.

nazjones

Standard Member
I was after 65XH9505 which is still not in the budget, but after reading that XE9005,XF9005 and XH9505 are copies of each other with minor difference? found 65XE9005 on ebay for £499
good buy?
Screenshot_20210505-034942_eBay.jpg

Dodgexander

I was after 65XH9505 which is still not in the budget, but after reading that XE9005,XF9005 and XH9505 are copies of each other with minor difference? found 65XE9005 on ebay for £499
good buy?View attachment 1506205
Yes, although don't buy it with the intent of viewing 50fps material as it has a known frame repeat bug with that specific material (50fps is the standard sport broadcast frame rate in Europe).

nazjones

Standard Member
Yes, although don't buy it with the intent of viewing 50fps material as it has a known frame repeat bug with that specific material (50fps is the standard sport broadcast frame rate in Europe).
Hi Dodgexander, put me out of my misrey. The ebay guy is not answering my Questions about the xe90.
I found this xf90 at local Currys.

This sony for £879 or u8qf at £949?
i am aware of Sony yet to update about xf90 support for vrr on this set.

Attachments

• 20210511_180302.jpg
    20210511_180302.jpg
    169 KB · Views: 29

The latest video from AVForums

Toy Stories - Turning Toys into Blockbuster Movies
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Latest News

KEF adds Ci160ES to Architectural Speaker range
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Hisense increases Laser TV sales following Euros