55" Selection

Evokazz

Prominent Member
Reaction score
Hiya guys, after posting a few days ago with Samsung in mind, it seems there are a few good panels out there within my £1000 budget, I'v been doing some research and have broke it down to 6 Panels, 3 are in budget, 3 are slightly over which I could make, if the price is justified:

Main uses? Movies, and Gaming. Panels with minimal banding and cloud issues is also important, I don't care about sound as use amp, also apps are not important. Would like 4K to futureproof but not essential.

Which of these 3 in my budget is the best panel?

LG - 55UF695V
Panasonic - TX-55CX680B
Samsung - UE55JU6800

Or should I stretch out of budget for one of these? Is it worth the extra £300 ish?

LG - 55UF860V
Panasonic - TX-55CR852B
Samsung - UE55JU7000

Please note every HDTV I have bought has been a result of these forums and have never been let down. My current Samsung LE46C580 was highly recommended here, and it's been amazing. Slight clouding and banding has shown over time, looking to eliminate that somewhat with a new panel, any help appreciated.

Last edited:
Would you rate it better than the 6 I mentioned?

Just bumping this as looking to buy very soon and at my wits end what to buy!

I am looking at similar TV's. Instead of the Panasonic cx680b there is a similar one cx700b which according to the reviews I have read is better. Similar price as well.
Let me know what you go for.

Hiya guys, after posting a few days ago with Samsung in mind, it seems there are a few good panels out there within my £1000 budget, I'v been doing some research and have broke it down to 6 Panels, 3 are in budget, 3 are slightly over which I could make, if the price is justified:

Main uses? Movies, and Gaming. Panels with minimal banding and cloud issues is also important, I don't care about sound as use amp, also apps are not important. Would like 4K to futureproof but not essential.

Which of these 3 in my budget is the best panel?

LG - 55UF695V
Panasonic - TX-55CX680B
Samsung - UE55JU6800

Or should I stretch out of budget for one of these? Is it worth the extra £300 ish?

LG - 55UF860V
Panasonic - TX-55CR852B
Samsung - UE55JU7000

Please note every HDTV I have bought has been a result of these forums and have never been let down. My current Samsung LE46C580 was highly recommended here, and it's been amazing. Slight clouding and banding has shown over time, looking to eliminate that somewhat with a new panel, any help appreciated.

Hello Evokazz! I don't want you to spend money unnecessarily so I'd say, for the time being until High Dynamic Range standards are finalised (a process which seems to be taking quite some time) that you don't go for a 4K resolution televison. To be fully up to date, a 4K set must not only offer 4K resolution but should also meet the other nine criteria given in Mr Steve Withers's excellent reference article Top 10 features your next TV must have . So 4K resolution is only the first criterion. I myself have decided against buying a 4K televison just now, so I don't follow the debate too closely, so I cannot say which of the 4K set that you have listed you should go for. What I definitely CAN say is, do NOT buy the Panasonic TX-55CR852B. This may be guilt by association, but its bigger brother, the 65CR852B, got a relatively poor review in the Xmas 2015 issue, number 254, of Home Cinema Choice magazine. The review faulted it for poor 3D, backlight clouding, unconvincing black level, and the curved screen. If you do want 4K, that review says that the flat Panasonic CX802 series of televisions cost less and perform better!

But, I'd leave 4K for now, unless you absolutely need it. You want a machine for movies and gaming. On these forums, I myself have recently been advocating the Samsung H6400 series. Sure, it was released in 2014, it's not one of the newest models, but it's still widely available. Fo example, the 55-inch version here at Richer Sounds for only £699 (saving you £301!) with a six-year guarantee SAMSUNG UE55H6400 55 inch 3D Smart LED TV 1080p HD Freeview HD. The whole H6400 range from Samsung last year got splendid reviews, for instance this one right here on AVForums Samsung UE55H6400 (H6400) 3D LED LCD TV Review and this one on Trusted Reviews, Samsung UE55H6400 review | TrustedReviews which specifically mentions gaming performance on its third page, under "Other things to consider". And going one size smaller, there is this lovely review of the 48-inch size, from HDTVtest Samsung UE48H6400 LED TV Review. It's a tribute to the H6400 range that it's still available more than 18 months after it was released! Lastly, the desktop stand swivels, so few televisions now have a swivelling stand, which is very useful.

Good luck, I hope that this doesn't come too late, after you've already bought something?

After reading, I have narrowed it down to 2 TV's

Which is better overall regarding picture quality and gaming?

Both are around the same price point dependant on store, but 6800 has the 4K and Nano display, worth the extra few quid? Think last price comparison it was £100 difference.

Just be aware that the 4K JU6800 range does not do 3D. The Full HD 6400 range does do (active) 3D.

I'm not bothered about 3D at all really.

Which of these 2 suffer less banding and clouding issues?

I don't really know. Google is your friend.

the 6800 suffers from light bleed and dse...have a look at the dedicated samsung thread re this...

Have you looked at the lg 930 oled? Only 1080p but picture quality wise was better than any pioneer kuro or high end panasonic plasma I ever owned

also worth looking at is the hisense k720 55" (fald), or a k700 edge lit with local dimming, both 4k, the 720 is curved, the 700 is flat with 3d.

I'd recommend the 930V if you aren't too bothered about 4k. Fantastic TV :)

We dont have the LG model your looking at but we have recently bought a LG 49'' UF770V 4K tv which is a 2015 model, same as the one you were looking at, and it is absolutely fantastic, brilliant picture quality and the magic remote came with it(doesnt come with all models so check).

We've had it around 2 weeks now and ive not regretted sticking with LG

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom