1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

55" plasma monitors

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by 8HIGH, Jun 23, 2005.

1. 8HIGH

8HIGH

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I want a 55" plasma monitor.I have been told that Fujitsu is best.But I read that the Hitachi 55HDM71 and the Fujitsu P55XHA30WS are the same TV except for cosmetics.I know they are a joint venture and use the same glass but are the internal electronics the same also?The Fujitsu is MUCH more expensive.I am willing to pay for the best but don't want to way overpay just for a name.PLease help because I can't seem to find the answers anywhere.

2. dilsher

dilsher

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Speak to Liam at progressive av mate - he is an authorised dealer for both and can tell ya differences..

3. Steve Zodiac

Steve Zodiac

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +173
    They both use the same panel but the electronics are different.

I've never seen the two models side by side, but if the reviews are to be believed, then the Hitachi delivers the best image. I bought the Hitachi and I'm very pleased with it.

This review compares both models. Other reviews can be found here .

The best situation of course would be to see both models side by side for yourself - if at all possible.

4. Stephen Wilde

Stephen Wilde

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +93
    The 900:1 contrast ratio on the fuji put me off so I went for the 50" instead.
    Don't know why they didn't use 3000:1 which would have sold it to me.
    Also I wanted AVM2 but not yet available in the new 40 series.When or if it is released you might consider it against the Hitachi if it also gets 3000:1

5. Steve Zodiac

Steve Zodiac

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +173
    I'm not 100% certain of this, but I'm fairly sure that the way that the contrast ratio is measured is different between manufacturers. The quoted 900:1 contrast ratio isn't the great difference from 3000:1 in reality as it would appear to be on paper.

6. Liam @ Prog AV

Liam @ Prog AV
    Well-known Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +827
    AVM2 processing is in all the current Fujitsu 40 series screens, but I think the 55" is still 30 series at the mo. The 55" panels are e-ALIS ones and manufactured jointly by Hitachi and Fujitsu (just the glass and drive technology, power supply etc) then the paths seperate and they each use their own bezel design, accessories, terminals, and very importantly video processing. I would say the Fujitsu 55" is very noticeably better than the Hitachi, but of course you pay for it. As for magazine reviews, my opinions on some of them are well documented on this forum and others....

The e-ALIS glass is around 900:1, but yes that is measured relatively conservatively to the 50" screens (which use Panny glass) which are measured relatively optimistically. But again, the difference is still very clear and the reason I recommend the smaller 50" to the 55". You cannot get that kind of depth and colour spectrum on 55", but you do get a bigger picture! BTW - the review linked to only compares the older Fuji 30 series (which is still better).

So 8HIGH - my advice is consider the 50" even though it's smaller. It really is a different ball game. A better one! Or get a little 42" SD screen, and a big front projector :D

7. Steve Zodiac

Steve Zodiac

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +173
    Just out of interest Liam, what is to be gained by the additional expense of buying a 50" Fujitsu with AVM1 or AVM2 over a 50" Panasonic (using the same panel), if an external scaler is going to be used to do the scaling? The same question could be applied to the 55" Fujitsu and the Hitachi.

BTW, when I saw the 42", 50" and 55" Fujitsu's demonstrated by Fujitsu themselves, to me, the biggest difference between them by far was the impact from the increase in screen size. Quite possibly they hadn't been set up for optimum results. Until this point in time I hadn't seriously considered a 55" model for the reasons that you have mentioned. I had expected the image to improve considerably as they got smaller, but not to my eyes. Perhaps an eye test is due! (for me that is!!)

8. Liam @ Prog AV

Liam @ Prog AV

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +827
    Yes you do lose out on the advantages of AVM when you're talking about adding a video processor. However, the Fuji still has better build, bezel, 3yr warranty with proper back-up, HD compatibility, connectivity, and is more open to 50Hz signals from said scaler. But yes, the video processing advantage is lost.

9. Steve Zodiac

Steve Zodiac

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +173
    With regard to connectivity, I was under the impression that the latest Hitachi 55" (55PD5200 ) was fully HD compatible and I am told by Hitachi that the older model (55PMA550E) will have a software update to include 720p @ 50Hz, whereas according to Fujitsu Technical Support, the 55" Fujitsu (30 series) doesn't even have a DVI socket! I have several e-mails from them confirming this, quote: "There are variations (the USA models for example) that do have DVi. However, we do not sell this particular model, nor do we support it in terms of warranty". This seemed strange as many UK retailers and magazines quoted this model as having DVI. This was one of the reasons I went for the Hitachi. If it turns out that the Fujitsu 55" 30 series does have a DVI socket, then perhaps that doesn't say much of their back-up.

Speaking of magazines and reviews (it would appear in a negative light)......

I've just had a look on your companies website here and there are many "positive" magazine reviews quoted next to equipment being sold, and this includes the magazine that I put a link to (above) with the Hitachi being favoured over the Fujitsu! :)

10. Liam @ Prog AV

Liam @ Prog AV

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +827
    Sorry mate I thought we were on Fuji 50" and Panny 50"!!! Neither 55" is as good as either 50" in my eyes, I wouldn't be recommending either. Personal opinion though, others just need an extra 5" ;)

As for reviews, my opinions on some of them are that they are misinformed BS. I've seen both Fuji and Hitachi 55", I prefered the Fuji. I've seen all the projectors in the H30a review, I preferred the H30a. Does this mean that when one reviewer gets it right we cannot pass that useful bit of information over to our customers because we didn't agree with what another reviewer said in the same magazine??? Not a surprise less and less manufacturers and retailers are posting on this forum when suggestive comments such as yours are commonplace. The ThemeScenes are blinding projectors, the whole range is easy to use, compatible with HDTV and using video processors (with great reults), run very quiet, are comprehensively warranted with good after-sales care, and ultimately they're not very expensive. Hence the little one box article on them winning awards from all the magazines they enter into. They're a good range, we want you to know that. There's no conspiracy here fella, some reviews are crap and some aren't.

11. Stephen Wilde

Stephen Wilde

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +93
    Whoops, I meant AVM2 not yet available in 40 series 55" version yet. It is in the 50" and others.
    As for AVM2 and scalers I was initially content to rely on AVM2 until I had a demo from Gordon at Convergent AV.
    Still prefer Fuji over other brands though but the 900:1 ratio is apparently a noticeable disadvantage in the 55".Note that the contrast ratio difference is from displays from the same manufacturer (Fuji) so Steve Zodiac's point though generally true does not apply here.
    Would go for a 55" or larger screen only when resolutions increase above 1366x768
    Quality of picture depends on resolution and viewing distance where other factors are equal so for a larger display with the same resolution you need to sit further back to avoid compromising percieved quality. That wastes the extra cost for me.

12. Steve Zodiac

Steve Zodiac

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +173
    Sorry regarding the confusion with 50" & 55" models Liam, I took it that your reply applied to both sizes.

My comment was in no way intended to be suggestive or imply there was a conspiracy, it was simply stating the facts as I saw them. You appear to have a fairly poor opinion of magazine reviews in general, but your company seems quite happy to quote some reviews against equipment that it sells. I can quite understand any company quoting favorable magazine reviews next to their merchandise, but to me, it doesn't seem quite right effectively saying that many reviews are BS, apart from the ones they agree with!! My comments reflected how your post came across to me after looking at your website. Just my opinion, be it right or wrong in your eyes. There was certainly no offence intended in any way. (Your last reply did create a nice ad though) :)

I may have lost the plot here. What I understand is that both the Fujitsu and Hitachi 55" screens have the same 900:1 (sometimes quoted as 1000:1) contrast ratio, which looks a bit grim on paper compared to the 3000:1 contrast ratio on the 50" Panasonic based screens (I believe Fujitsu use a Panasonic panel on their 50" model). What I have been told/read, is that the way that Fujitsu/Hitachi measure contrast ratio is different from how Panasonic measure the same, so the difference visually isn't as much as the figures would indicate.

13. Liam @ Prog AV

Liam @ Prog AV

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +827
    No worries

eh? Surely that is the point. I wouldn't call a review I agreed with BS, but would call a review I didn't agree with BS. Therefore I don't see a problem in repeating a comment that I believe correct (i.e. "the H30a is bloody good") but I would have a problem repeating a comment I didn't agree with (i.e. "the Hitachi is bloody good"). So what have we done wrong? To put a review link up on the site next to that 55" Hitachi would be something worth having a word about. But you'll notice there isn't one there, despite me being very aware that the review exists and has done for quite some time.

I know what you're getting at, we *could* abuse the position we have to falsely approve of products purely to gain a sale. But I think it's pretty clear that's not what's going on here. It's in our interests for clients to buy the best they can afford otherwise we have failed to deliver on our promises.

Free speech and all that - just be careful not to come to such a quick conclusion. Too many people do it on this forum and it's losing valuable contributors who've simply had enough of trying to be helpful and give advice they truly believe in when all they get back are comments along the lines of "well you would say that" (I'm not talking about you here Steve, just the forum in general).

With all due respect I think you've been told slightly wrong!! They are measured under favourable conditions so the difference isn't 300% as you say, but it really is significant enough to be instantly noticeable. Or am I just lying to get someone to buy a panny.... ;)

14. Stephen Wilde

Stephen Wilde

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +93
    I was comparing the contrast ratio of the 50" and 55" Fujitsus between themselves and not with the Panny but the size of the difference should be similar.
    With regard to the initial query I would avoid both 55" for the reasons stated unless they improve the contrast ratios or eventually the resolution.

15. Steve Zodiac

Steve Zodiac

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +173
    Liam, I'm not having a go at you or your company in any way, in fact I was looking at scalers on your website when I found your magazine review comments alongside equipment for sale. I was simply a little surprised after your negative comments regarding some reviews in your post.

I too have supported some of the retailers on this Forum by buying equipment from them and it certainly isn't my intention to put off retailers contributing to this Forum.

I see where you're coming from regarding selecting the reviews which you agree with, and I realise that you spend far more time assessing the qualities of equipment than the average consumer, but other members may possibly also draw the wrong conclusion if you simply condem the other reviews as BS.

No matter what I have previously said, if what I have read from other members is to be believed (and I've no reason to think otherwise), then I'm sure that you and your company offer excellent advice and service. :hiya:

16. Liam @ Prog AV

Liam @ Prog AV

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +827
    No worries fella. I think it's got to the point now where I'm just sick of having to justify myself, as you say some people are gonna take my comments the wrong way and you never want someone to think wrongly of you when its not substantiated. However I have also got to the point where I do not care hence my flippant BS comments!! I don't mean to say *all* reviews are sh1te (I'm pretty sure I use the word "some" as much as possible) but it's got so annoying to have to tread on eggshells just because I'm a retailer. Many AV reviews are complete sh1te and I will stand by that comment.

Saying that, surely we both deserve a prize for coming up with some interesting conversation in the shadow of a million and one bloody PV500 threads!!! Have a good weekend anyway, I'm off to the pub.

17. stasis

stasis

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +63
    I hope to buy a 50 inch plasma at sometime in the future. :lease:
    I much appreciate the knowledge and views expressed on the forums.
    Many people give information by endorsing thier own purchases, others give information gained from thier professional background. Knowledge is always appreciated especially when it is well informed.

18. dilsher

dilsher

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    good on ya mate..Liam never gives anything but unbiased advice anyway...so listen, learn and then go out and BUY!