55 or 60" TV for less than £1000

tankfly

Standard Member
Reaction score
Hi all, been a long time between drinks!

I need to get a new tv. my first in over 10 years! The room is long and thin with the viewing area 5m from the screen.

My budget is 700-1000 and I think bigger is best but am struggling to convince my wife to go bigger than 55". I'd prefer 60" so would be great to get thoughts on that. We tend to watch on demand to, Netflix and prime. We don't have a dvd/bluray player.

I have been doing lots of research and am starting to get confused as to whether it is worth going a better HD tv or go UHD. For example I like the sound of the LG 920v OLED which is on for £999 refurbed but see I can get a decent Samsung (KU6400 or 6000) which is UHD and cheaper.

Too much choice! Any help or steer as to what to look out for would be very much appreciated- I've been out of the game too long!

Thanks so much for any help you can give.

I just bought a 55H6400 and a 40H6400, the 40" is amazing, but the 55 had awful banding, swapped for another and it was same so got a refund. This years TV's are lacking in reviews unless its a £1500+ model, I was (like you) stuck between the KU6000 and KU6400. I love the look of the KU6000 it looks nice, I hate the silver trim on the KU6400 but took a gamble on the KU6400 due to it being slightly better spec and higher up the ladder, and the TV is stunning.

At that distance you probably won't notice a difference between HD and UHD. However UHD streams are better quality so you may notice a better picture, I'm not sure.

The OLED will give you the best quality picture even if it's not UHD. You'll get better motion, contrast etc, especially compared to a LCD of that price.

It's not all bad for UHD LCDs though, the streams are better quality so you'll notice an improvement. Whether that improvement will be better than a 1080p OLED I doubt it.

You also won't have to pay extra for UHD netflix and prime if you stick with the OLED.

You can always upgrade again once HDR tech becomes more affordable.

Nice one, thanks guys. Feels like this is a funny year where the manufacturers are just trying to get through the year and are really focusing on next year's tech.

All of the options seem like they have big compromises which makes it hard to want to pull the trigger on any.

Am really tempted by the OLED option- will a refurb be a quality issue? Otherwise will pare it right back and get a good HD telly for 500-700 rather than spend lots more on average UHD now...

You have the same dilemma as I do. If only we had a bigger budget. You need to spend at least 1800 to get a TV thats decent with HDR, preferably 2000.

I don't know about the safety of a refurb, maybe you can find one in clearance at richer sounds with a longer warranty.

A good HD TV would be the Samsung j6300, I'm not sure about this year's models. If you don't like curved maybe the Sony x8000c series.

Hi all, been a long time between drinks!

I need to get a new tv. my first in over 10 years! The room is long and thin with the viewing area 5m from the screen.

My budget is 700-1000 and I think bigger is best but am struggling to convince my wife to go bigger than 55". I'd prefer 60" so would be great to get thoughts on that. We tend to watch on demand to, Netflix and prime. We don't have a dvd/bluray player.

I have been doing lots of research and am starting to get confused as to whether it is worth going a better HD tv or go UHD. For example I like the sound of the LG 920v OLED which is on for £999 refurbed but see I can get a decent Samsung (KU6400 or 6000) which is UHD and cheaper.

Too much choice! Any help or steer as to what to look out for would be very much appreciated- I've been out of the game too long!

Thanks so much for any help you can give.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom