55 or 60 inch Plasma or LCD help

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs Forum' started by [email protected], Jun 12, 2009.

1. Littleted@gmail

[email protected]

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    Been running an old samsung none HD for years now and want to really update it to a 60 inch or Large panel.

Been looking at the LG 60 inch as its under 2k and i want 1080P.

My questions are

Is this panel good value, can anybody reccomend anything similar.

I,ll be using it mainly for Xbox 360 and Ps3 games as its located in my games room.

Or should i downsize and plump for 1 of the mew LED screens from Samsung.

Can anybody help.

I,ll also watch Blu Ray on it etc.

Thanks in advance

Ted

2. perceptionist87

perceptionist87

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    Hi there,

If you move from an CRT TV to something more fullHDish, I would recommend rather 50" than explode it to 60" but of course its your call.

In my honest opinion, the professional plasmas from Panasonic would be the best you can get with this budget and screen size requirements.

I would recommend
    Professional Plasma Display - Professional Plasma Display - TH-50PF10BK - Specification - UK & Ireland

You would just have to purchase a dual HDMI input board --> google for the item TY-FB10HMD
    And pedestal stand if you have no possibility to wall-mount the display:

Products - Professional Plasma Display - Overview - UK & Ireland

In answer to your proposals:
    The LG is a good bet some say. But on the other hand, many say the picture is not as well on 60" and its prone to image retention, so not entirely recommended for gaming.

Please do yourself a favor and leave the Samsung LED TV alone. I've looked at it at several shops and it couldn't convince me. The backlight bleeding is still there when watching even slightly off-angle and the backlight has to adjust itself over the entire dynamic range.

Finally, if you like accurate colour, easyness of use and cool design: re-consider my posted link.
    I own this model in 42" and the thin framing makes it look bigger than any consumer 42" I compare it to. It would certainly be an eye-catcher for you to have the 50" version.
    Consider it an insider tip that the professional models have manifold advantages :clap:

Hope this helps :hiya:

3. Littleted@gmail

[email protected]

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    Thanks for the great reply.

How do they differ from consumer ones ?

I did have a look at the 50 inch Pioneer that everyone raves about ewhats your view of it ? is it the best ? or would i not see the benofits of it Vs this pani ?

thanks again

Ted

4. Monarch

Monarch

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,143
    The professional Panasonics offer more picture controls, which is something the consumer ones miss out on a lot, there are a few other things you need to consider though (although I'm not entirely sure what they are) so do research that first. The LG you mentioned is very good on the 50" version, how much the 60" version changes I'm not sure but I would imagine it is still very good value for money at least and I've seen a few happy owners. How far away are you going to be sat? You could get the Pioneer 5090 which is one of the best sets available, or even the P50V10 which is also excellent (and easier to get hold of!), but a smaller screen may be innappropriate, even if you are moving from a smaller set.

Anyway, the LG has full calibration controls which means you can get a very accurate image, and you get better SD performance than on the Panasonics (provided the 60" version is the same or similar in picture quality to the 50" version). Black levels aren't as deep as the Panasonics or Pioneers but are far from bad, motion is also excellent. So, the LG is probably your best 60" bet, but if a 50" will do then you can get a better TV overall

5. Littleted@gmail

[email protected]

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    Just seen the Panasoni 50inch plasma, can get it on Pixmania for 1088.

Its the viera, Ne1 think thats ok for what i need, looks cool enough and price is good.

6. Monarch

Monarch

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,143
    Is it the G10? The G10 competes very well with the LG PS8000, it's a very good TV, it has better black levels than the LG and is more resistant to image retention, but the LG has better colour accuracy. To get a TV which is deffinitely better than the PS8000 (in my opinion) you need to look at the Panasonic V10 which will cost around £1600 for 50". But, for using it as a gaming TV the G10 is very good indeed as you don't need the perfect colour accuracy, it probably is one to go for, especially if you have another TV which you'll use for movies and SD TV (do you?)

7. Littleted@gmail

[email protected]

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    Hi.

Ive gone for the G10, i couldnt get the V10 in my budget ,

Paid with discount codes 1081 with free delivery for the G10.

I will watch some Blu Ray on it but mainly Xbox 360 and Ps3, i think it will fit the bill nicely.

Thanks to all who helped me. and for the great understanding of the Plasma, i learn something everyday

Ted

8. Monarch

Monarch

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,143
    The G10 will do you nicely, the colour inaccuracies are fairly subtle, I don't think I'd notice unless it's next to a perfectly accurate set, as I said anyway, these colour inaccuracies don't apply to games and you still get really deep blacks and great contrast when watching blu-rays.

Enjoy :thumbsup: