Answered 55" on a budget..

AngryDog

Novice Member
Reaction score
Hi guys,

I am looking for a 55" TV but I am on a budget.

I currently do not have Sky Q or 4k Blu-ray discs, but Sky Q may be on the horizon.

I currently have an LG 42" HD tv that is around 6 years old. It works fine but now that I have a larger living room a 55" would be better placed.

I have looked at the following;

Toshiba 55 inch 4K Ultra HD Smart LED TV Freeview Play

LG 55 inch 4K Ultra HD HDR Smart LED TV Freeview Play

Samsung 55 inch 4K Ultra HD HDR Smart LED TV TVPlus

Samsung 55 inch 4K Ultra HD HDR Smart LED TV TVPlus

Would any of these be sufficient for my needs?
  1. What are your sources going to be? eg - Do you have fibre internet capable of UHD streams? Will you be buying and using an UHD Blu-Ray player? Netflix? Amazon? Catch up TV? HDR consoles? PC? - SKY+ HD Box
  2. SD vs HD vs UHD use percentage? - 10% 90% 0% is my best forecast
  3. Movies, sport, console games, PC use (in percentage)? - Movies / Sport / Normal TV. No console or PC usage.
  4. How close can you view the TV? Around 8-9ft away
  5. Do you need to view the TV from the side or only straight on? - TV is mainly viewed straight on
  6. What conditions do you like to view in? During the day? At night with lights on? In the dark? Mainly at night with weekend use. Lighting is usually 6 downlights behind seating position
  7. What are you currently using and what do you expect by upgrading to a new TV? - 6 6 year old LG 42" HD Tv that was low end when bought. Larger screen and no dip in quality
  8. Are you interested in being able to use motion enhancements on your TV to reduce judder and/or reduce motion blur? Both frame interpolation and frame insertion let you do this, read more about it here. They both have their upsides and downsides, so read carefully. - The less motion blur the better

Now which is most important to you?

Price - upto £600
Connections - 3 HDMI Connections
Sound - N/A

Thanks in advance.

Last edited:
Sony 55XE70xx series or Hisense 55N6800 are better than the tv's you linked and would be my recommendations.

Beware of the demanding viewing distance recommendations with UHD content before you spend extra on UHD content!

Thanks for your reply.

I have looked at the two recommendations. I had never considered Hisense before, reminds me of Bush TV's in the UK. But I suppose the name doesn't matter if the technology is good.

I assume that spending above my budget is worthwhile for the better TV's?

Also, is it worth getting now or waiting a few months?

Mainly at night with weekend use. Lighting is usually 6 downlights behind seating position

So no dark content on a reflective screen then.

I have the Hisense and it is a very good tv for the price

Thanks Jotty. It is slightly over budget but I think it may be worth it.

You'll need to spend quite a bit more to get a model with a good anti reflection filter. But the two I have mentioned are the best buys close to your budget. I wouldn't spend less.

Thanks again. I guess I'll get one of them bought.

So it is now either Sony 55 inch 4K Ultra HD HDR Smart LED TV Freeview HD or Hisense 55 inch 4K Ultra HD HDR Smart ULED TV Freeview Play. I note that the Hisense does local (edge) dimming which may just swing it.

Re the anti-reflection, I don't notice the lights in the screen. The TV is at one side of the room and the lights are 6 metres away not pointing at the TV. They're only 3w Halogen's so not that bright either. It is near a window and I just close the curtain if its too bright on the TV.

They both have edge lighting. It doesn't matter at this price range. Both TVs are just as good as each-other so just get whichever you like the smart TV/price/looks of the best.

I wouldn't be swung by the local dimming it appears to be useless and better switched off anyway if reviews are anything to go by. The build quality and smart TV OS would swing me in favour of the Hisense though.

Thanks everyone for your replies. I went for the Sony in the end. The wife preferred its appearance, and we all know that wives tend to get what they want!! :)

Now I just need to find a site with the best settings for it.

Thanks, I will take a look at that. TV arrives tomorrow, I will report back on how I find it!

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom