• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

55" new TV needed - LG, Samsung, Sony - going round in circles!

WhiteHartMart

Distinguished Member
Probably a question that's been asked and answered many times before but on the look out for the above to replace a 50" full HD Sony I've had for 6 years or so.

A wide range of usage - Sport (Football and F1) viewing, general TV, Netflix, Xbox and PS4. Will be upgrading to PS5 later this year so HDMI 2.1 important. Also ditching my AV Amp and Speakers and replacing with a Sonos Arc or similar.

TV will be in the corner of a rectangular room with french doors at the opposite end throwing in a fair bit of light - then again, if the room gets too bright I'll just put the curtains across :p

Before my current TV we have a Panasonic Plasma so pretty sure we are careful enough with our usage to not have to worry about retention/burn in.

I've been considering the LG CX or perhaps even a B9 if a good price could still be found. Other than that maybe one of last year's Sony's or a Samsung Q90R.

Would appreciate any help in narrowing the option down if possible :)

tvdavid

Prominent Member
as gaming, I would get the Samsung Q90R because I just watched this

LCDseeker

Distinguished Member
Probably a question that's been asked and answered many times before but on the look out for the above to replace a 50" full HD Sony I've had for 6 years or so.

A wide range of usage - Sport (Football and F1) viewing, general TV, Netflix, Xbox and PS4. Will be upgrading to PS5 later this year so HDMI 2.1 important. Also ditching my AV Amp and Speakers and replacing with a Sonos Arc or similar.

TV will be in the corner of a rectangular room with french doors at the opposite end throwing in a fair bit of light - then again, if the room gets too bright I'll just put the curtains across :p

Before my current TV we have a Panasonic Plasma so pretty sure we are careful enough with our usage to not have to worry about retention/burn in.

I've been considering the LG CX or perhaps even a B9 if a good price could still be found. Other than that maybe one of last year's Sony's or a Samsung Q90R.

Would appreciate any help in narrowing the option down if possible :)

You'll do well to find the good sets from 2019 as most are sold out now. I'd avoid OLED myself based on your viewing conditions and habits. The need for 2.1 limits you though, maybe wait for black Friday and see what's around then and at what price.

Dodgexander

as gaming, I would get the Samsung Q90R because I just watched this
That is from their old non-real world test with constant logos showing on the screen. Has no relevance for every day usage. rtings.com recommend OLEDs for gaming.

To the OP. You should consider the LG CX as the TV which will give you the best all-round picture quality gains. Make sure your usage doesn't make you susceptible to OLED Burn In Risk

If you prefer an LCD TV, or you feel you at risk of burn in, then that leaves you with Samsung. Its pretty simple with their 2020 lineup.

Q80T/Q85T - Lowest tier models you want to consider for HDR. Same picture quality but the Q85T has a better anti reflective/wide viewing angle filter.
Q90T/Q95T - same TVs, but the Q95T has the one connect box.

As with all 2020 models right now, prices are high so it would be a bad time to buy. The best time to buy is usually spring of each year when models are cleared out for new ranges coming in, but if you want to buy a TV sooner I'd advise waiting at very least until Black Friday to not over-pay.

The LG B9/BX are somewhat unknown with HDMI 2.1. So you don't want to consider those models until the HDMI 2.1 features have been tested. This probably won't be until after the new consoles are released.

WhiteHartMart

Distinguished Member
@Dodgexander - appreciate the detailed reply. Sony out of the question this year then? Really like my current Sony (50W829B) and wondered how the other brands handled motion in comparison. I actually think motion handling is more important to me than black levels :p

Dodgexander

Sony have a real stinker of a 2020 lineup if you want to take advantage HDMI 2.1 VRR.

If you aren't fussed about VRR in gaming, then the X950H will be a good acquisition when its price comes down.

The cheaper X900H actually does have promised VRR support, but its HDR is not really good enough when it can only reach around 800 nits.

Their OLEDs are a similar story to the X950H. Great TVs if you don't mind losing HDMI 2.1 VRR.

Read about it here: Variable Refresh Rate (VRR) - HDMI

Regarding motion, its a very broad word. If you are talking motion for video content like sport then you may prefer Sony TVs to Samsung or LG, but there are different areas of motion that TVs handle differently.

For example, if you were to buy an OLED, no matter the brand there will be next to no visible motion blur, making motion very crisp.

or if you talk 'motion' in the respect of gaming, then any TV that supports HDMI VRR will be a lot smoother in games.

If you talk 'motion' in the respect of only sport, well you have to choose first between OLED and LCD technology and then you may have a preference towards Sony and Philips.

WhiteHartMart

Distinguished Member
Thanks @Dodgexander

Yea - the motion I was referring to was mainly aimed at watching sport. Coming from a Sony it may be that the OLED suits me best it seems. A bright room though makes me fear that will be too reflective compared to a Q90T for example. Then again, we owned a Panasonic Plasma before the Sony and that was ok in the same location.

VRR is a must for me for this purchase so looks like the Sony's are ruled out this time :(

Really would like a LG 55CX if the reflections aren't an issue.

Dodgexander

You'll have to compromise somewhere because you can't get Sony/Philips TVs with HDMI 2.1 and good HDR. Maybe with 2021 models, but not now. Sony and Philips are best generally for watching sport.

Sony X900H - Compromise with dimmer HDR.
LG CX - Compromise with motion processing. Some people get along with it, some not.
Samsung Q80T and above - Compromise with motion processing, some get along with it, some not.
Sony X950H/Sony or Philips OLED - Compromise with no HDMI 2.1 VRR.

Last edited:

LCDseeker

Distinguished Member
There are always pros and cons each year but 2020 has been a funny one especially with the new generation of games consoles on the very near horizon.

Just to throw a spanner in the works, some people on the forums are claiming to be in the know and are saying the XH95 has the ability to upgrade to HDMI 2.1. I wouldn't buy it on the off chance though as I personally think Sony would be marketing it like the XH9005 if it was going to. People are also showing alot of love for the XH9005 even though it doesn't get the best reviews and a lower not count.

I reckon the LG is your best option and just take a hit on the motion but then again you risk burn in if you game alot.

WhiteHartMart

Distinguished Member
Still going around in circles lol

Although, I was edging towards the Sony XH9005/XH9296 for its value (£999 for the 55"). No matter how much I like the (and would prefer) the LG, leaving the wife/kids in charge of the TV all day fills me with burn in fear!

Now have the chance for a Samsung 55Q90T for about £120 more than the Sony so all of a sudden, I think that one is in pole position now. Think the improved picture and reflection handling wins it so far - shame it only has 1 HDMI 2.1 input though!

Have had some viewing time in front of them all but will be making one more visit to a store before the final decision.

silent ninja

Prominent Member
FYI John Lewis do accidental protection which includes OLED burn in at £140 for 5 years.

The Q90T looks fantastic. One of the best LCDs for sure.

WhiteHartMart

Distinguished Member
FYI John Lewis do accidental protection which includes OLED burn in at £140 for 5 years.

The Q90T looks fantastic. One of the best LCDs for sure.

Thanks - I had briefly looked at the JL insurance but then the LG total price is £1,740 compared to £1,120 for the Q90T. Think I'd rather use the saving towards a PS5 or Sonos Soundbar :p

silent ninja

Prominent Member
If buying now rather than BF, that would be a wise choice. Those gadgets are pricey so you'd feel a lot better getting it all within one TV budget.

Only minor omission is lack of Dolby Vision support. In reality, how much difference will this make? Mixed opinions online. I suspect it's only the enthusiasts that notice the minute difference. Not a deal breaker.

I am in same position as you but I can wait until the LG CX/BX get around the £1k mark.

Dodgexander

Only minor omission is lack of Dolby Vision support. In reality, how much difference will this make?
There's far more important factors when shopping for a TV than only the HDR formats it accepts. The first of which is choosing between display technologies - LCD or OLED.

You can get TVs that use the standard HDR10 layer of Dolby Vision HDR that do a better job with it than TVs that support Dolby Vision to begin with.

Skyehammer

Prominent Member
Ok , this is just an observation from my own buying experience from last year so may not be relevant for 2020 -
Anyway , when I was looking to buy a new TV I went through all the agonies you're experiencing now and opted for a 55" Sony XF9005 , I did consider the LG B9 but chickened out due to family habits of pausing TV etc - I found that the cheapest price [ before it dropped right down in 2020 ] for that particular TV occurred in October 2019 , it was cheaper than Black Friday - but I guess this is the gamble we take when trying to get the best value for money , it could have dropped further in November but was such a popular TV the price actually went up slightly during Black Friday . I chose Richer Sounds to buy my TV from as they gave a 6 year warranty .

My advice would be - choose the TV you want then keep popping in to Richer Sounds / Crampton & Moore / Currys etc to check the prices between now and Black Friday - if you find a price you're happy with then press the button .

mikej

Prominent Member
Anyone considering an 2019 or 2020 LG OLED for its HDMI 2.1 gaming features should probably read this

Dodgexander

Anyone considering an 2019 or 2020 LG OLED for its HDMI 2.1 gaming features should probably read this
Completely normal for a new tech to have a problem like this. LG already had issues in the past with near to black handling with non VRR content, so no doubt it will be fixed in time.

Good rule of thumb is to not become a beta tester for new tech.

WhiteHartMart

Distinguished Member
Managed to have an hour or so in Richer Sounds earlier to have a decent comparison of the Q90T and the CX. End result is, I want the LG CX.

Only doubt is still the reflective nature if it. The Samsung clearly won on this point but I much preferred the CX picture, based on the limited time I had (and with only a few basic settings changes to utilise).

Neither are perfect (what is) and the LG is £200 more than I can get the Q90T for so a bit more thinking needed before deciding.

Clearandcolour

Established Member
Managed to have an hour or so in Richer Sounds earlier to have a decent comparison of the Q90T and the CX. End result is, I want the LG CX.

Only doubt is still the reflective nature if it. The Samsung clearly won on this point but I much preferred the CX picture, based on the limited time I had (and with only a few basic settings changes to utilise).

Neither are perfect (what is) and the LG is £200 more than I can get the Q90T for so a bit more thinking needed before deciding.
Here in the netherlands the samsung q90t keeps so much more expensive than the lg cx.. The lg 1.500 euro's and the samsung at 1.999 euro's.. !

mikej

Prominent Member

I guess the factors to consider are how much the TV gets used during the day, the positioning of your windows and if your room is bright, whether you object to drawing a curtain when watching during a bright, sunny day if needed ?

I do almost all of my TV watching in the late evenings, so the first point isn't as much of an issue for me as for some people who have their sets on all day. As for windows - the worst case scenario for a TV with a reflective screen is when watching during a bright day and you have a window or patio doors directly behind you.

I have a 2.5m wide window a few metres to one side of my Panasonic OLED and 3m wide patio doors much further away on the other side, both of which make the room bright at times and can cause some unwanted reflections on bright sunny days, but I don't mind drawing a curtain or two if I'm watching something worthwhile - I don't tend to bother for general viewing.

WhiteHartMart

Distinguished Member
I guess the factors to consider are how much the TV gets used during the day, the positioning of your windows and if your room is bright, whether you object to drawing a curtain when watching during a bright, sunny day if needed ?

I do almost all of my TV watching in the late evenings, so the first point isn't as much of an issue for me as for some people who have their sets on all day. As for windows - the worst case scenario for a TV with a reflective screen is when watching during a bright day and you have a window or patio doors directly behind you.

I have a 2.5m wide window a few metres to one side of my Panasonic OLED and 3m wide patio doors much further away on the other side, both of which make the room bright at times and can cause some unwanted reflections on bright sunny days, but I don't mind drawing a curtain or two if I'm watching something worthwhile - I don't tend to bother for general viewing.

Thanks - that's pretty much what I'm thinking currently. TV is in a corner of a rectangular room with patio doors at the opposite end - the TV fires across the room diagonally.

Most of our viewing is in the evening also when it isn't an issue. The patio doors are south facing so on a sunny day at the weekend we very often have to draw the curtains to watch our current Sony LCD so I guess having the LG won't change this - I'm probably making a bigger deal out of it that it really is :)

mikej

Prominent Member
Most of our viewing is in the evening also when it isn't an issue. The patio doors are south facing so on a sunny day at the weekend we very often have to draw the curtains to watch our current Sony LCD so I guess having the LG won't change this - I'm probably making a bigger deal out of it that it really is :)

Not at all - it's an expensive purchase so you might as well get it right and make the best informed decision you can. There can be quite a difference between the reflectiveness of different TV screens but even the Samsung is going to struggle in direct sunshine. If you're used to drawing curtains occasionally, then hopefully you won't find it too different. It's difficult to tell in a TV showroom though.

WhiteHartMart

Distinguished Member
Interesting chat with a sales guy in a local store today:-

I was looking at the LG CX v the Sony XH90/XH92

Apparently:-

1. Gaming on the LG will void the warranty as will watching movies with black bars
2. The Sony will give me better shadow detail
3. The Samsungs are ok but I'd probably be paying a 40% price premium against their rivals

I left without purchasing and will go elsewhere lol

Sloppy Bob

Distinguished Member
1. Gaming on the LG will void the warranty as will watching movies with black bars

tenor.gif

tenor (1).gif

Dodgexander

3. The Samsungs are ok but I'd probably be paying a 40% price premium against their rivals

DId he have a Sony badge on? The likes of Curry's employ sales reps directly from manufacturers. They are sharks that roam the floor trying to push you from one brand to another. Just another reason not to shop at Curry's!

1. Complete nonsense. Black bars doesn't affect OLED Burn In Risk at all. Why would it? the pixels when black are turned off.
2. If you compare against Samsung yes, not really to OLEDs.
3. Depends on the model. Typically manufacturers TVs are priced closely, but if you compare a fully discounted 2019 Sony to a new 2020 Samsung its normal for a TV to cost 40% more.

EDIT*

Sony XH90 - Not really a capable HDR model, a downgrade from the 2018 XF90. Doesn't get bright enough, doesn't have a dedicated picture processor.
Sony XH92 - Curry's exclusive of the XH90. They make small changes to the TVs features/aesthetic and sell a different model number so they can price fix.
LG CX - Really not comparable to the other models. If you are going to compare an LCD TV to an OLED you should compare higher end models like the Sony XH9505 or Samsung Q90T. My suggestion is to first determine which display technology you prefer the sound of the most before making comparisons between an LCD TV and an OLED.
I did my best here:

The latest video from AVForums

SVS Prime Wireless Pro Powered Speakers - Review Coming Soon
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom