Question 55 LG / Samsung Recommendations

SLeighton123

Standard Member
Reaction score
Got a budget of approx. £700 (may possibly be able to stretch more in a month or so) for a new 55" TV which has been delayed since this time last year. Having played about with the operating systems i've landed on a Samsung or LG as it will work with my NAS drive and the whole family seem to find them easy to use. I would like to ensure its a 120hz refresh rate for the sport.

Hopefully the below is enough to start making some recommendaitons ?

I keep seeing this years Q60 and Q70 come up along with Currys Q75 edition but rarely seem to see any LG Nano's ? I don't believe the Q60/70 meet the HDMI 2.1 requirements although someone may also enlighten me how important that is really going to be.

Or do I just continue to save and go for OLED as soon as I can ?

Which external devices do you plan to connect to the TV?
  • Sky Q
  • PS4/Switch
  • Would like HDMI 2.1 for future proofing PS5/XBOX next gen
What content will you watch on the TV?
  • What streaming services do you plan to use?
    • Amazon Prime / Netflix / Disney Plus
  • Catch up TV apps,
    • Via Sky Q
  • Broadcast TV
    • None Required
  • Gaming?
    • If so, HD, UHD/HDR gaming?
  • What proportion of your total viewing will be content in SD, HD or UHD?
    HD large majority
    SD minority
    UHD when available via On Demand/Streaming

• What proportion of your viewing will be broadcast TV shows, broadcast sport, broadcast movies, streaming TV/movies, DVDs, FHD Blu-Rays, UHD Blu-Rays or games?
Broadcast TV shows40%
Broadcast Sport20%
Broadcast Movies0%
Streaming TV shows or Movies30%
DVDs0%
HD Blu-Rays0%
UHD Blu-Rays0%
Games10%

Will you use internal or external apps or tuners for the following? If external, via which device?
  • Broadcast TV - Sky Q
  • Streaming services - Sky Q or inbuilt TV apps
  • Catch up apps - Sky Q or inbuilt TV apps
Situational questions:
  • What TV are you currently using and what are expecting to see upgrading to a new TV? - Samsung UE48H6400
  • Are you a tweaker or set and forget kind of person? - Set and forget although currently football mode is occasionally turned on
  • What is your viewing distance? 2.5m give or take
  • If you place yourself in the position of your TV facing towards where you watch, at what angle from the centre is each integral seating position? (Tip, use a protractor to measure angles). - 90, 80 - Less important 2 x 40 - Note: TV Will be on a cantilever arm so angles can be adjusted in required environments
  • When will you use the TV and what kind of lighting will be in your room? Some examples:
    • Bright conditions during the day. - Regularly at weekend
    • Dark conditions during the day - Rarely - even with the curtains closed its not dark
    • Dark movie nights in the evening. - Yes throughout the
    • Always use a lamp or light in the room, even in the evening. - Yes - Dimmable lamps in both opposite corners
  • Would your usage of an OLED TV put you at risk of permanent burn in? No
  • Do you need any legacy connections like composite or component? No
  • If using planning to use an internal tuner will you use satellite or free to air? No

Please rearrange the following, in descending importance:
  1. Blacks
  2. SDR Picture quality
  3. HDR Picture quality.
  4. Picture accuracy out of the box (without pro calibration)
  5. Shadow detail
  6. Cost
  7. Sound
  8. Smart TV ease of use
  9. Smart TV app selection
  10. Value
Now for bugs, tell us your possible pet hates related to TVs, in descending order:
  1. Motion blur
  2. Loss of detail in dark areas or crushed blacks
  3. Bad screen uniformity, Dirty Screen Effect, Clouding, Light Bleed, Blooming, Vignetting, Haloing
  4. Reflective screens
  5. Motion stutter
  6. Motion judder with 24hz movies/TV shows.
  7. Raised blacks
  8. Colour banding.

Sony XH9005. Biggest downside is HDR picture quality but otherwise it matches well with your uses. Viewing angles are narrow. Need to make sure you watch the TV within a 60 degree cone from the centre.

If you want HDR>SDR Hisense U8Q.

Last edited:
Sony XH9005. Biggest downside is HDR picture quality but otherwise it matches well with your uses. Viewing angles are narrow. Need to make sure you watch the TV within a 60 degree cone from the centre.

If you want HDR>SDR Hisense U8Q.

Thanks for that - I'll do a bit of research. Presumably the Android TV OS is stable enough and works well ?

Also I presume there's no Samsungs or LG's which fit the bill ?

________

Points for a fantastic opening post! 😆

Lost me ?

Android isn't the most steadfast of smart TV but its very improved compared to previous years.
The two models I suggested are best for your uses in my opinion, Samsung's rival LCD TVs are overpriced currently, whilst LGs LCD TVs are not good. The Q80T would be the closest to the Sony in performance.

LGs LCD TVs are not really great performers, and are suited if you value better viewing angles compared to picture quality.

Just had a code through via very for the OLED LG 55BX6LB which i can pick up for £886 delivered which seems like its almost too good to be true.

Rtings suggests "Lower-frame rate content stutters" and that the peak brightness isn't great ?

Any advice appreciated

That TV is an OLED TV, so a different beast to the LCD TVs you have been considering. If you can afford OLED then go for it.

Thanks for the quick reply. I've hit the buy button (it was sat staring me in the face)

I presume the brightness and the stutter issues RTINGS mention won't be of any issue to my usual viewing

I presume the brightness and the stutter issues RTINGS mention won't be of any issue to my usual viewing
They are comparing the TV to higher end LCD TVs that can get very, very bright. For most people its not an issue at all. The benefits of OLED tech outweigh the disadvantages, the TV will be in a different class.
With motion, also something you shouldn't worry about. Stutter is something some people notice, but not all.

They are comparing the TV to higher end LCD TVs that can get very, very bright. For most people its not an issue at all. The benefits of OLED tech outweigh the disadvantages, the TV will be in a different class.
With motion, also something you shouldn't worry about. Stutter is something some people notice, but not all.

Thanks for all your help and what you do. Its much appreciated to have someone to speak to direct rather than just read reviews all day long.

Just waiting in anticipation for it to arrived. Its out of stock until at least Feb but thankfully i'm in a position where I can wait

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom