Question 55" LG Advice

Starvin

Hey,

I initially purchased a Hisense U7QF 55 inch. The first time there was a small dot on the screen. I returned it and my replacement stopped working after 3 weeks.
I bought it for £500 on sale and liked the screen quality but the 2 faulty TVs have turned me away from Hisense.

Now I'm looking for a new replacement and I've been looking at the LG NANO86 and NANO90 both in 55 inch models.
I can get the 86 for £630 and 90 for £730

The next best TV I can see is the Sony XH90 but it costs £900 but that's too expensive.

I'm mostly buying the TV for PC/PS5 gaming and streaming movies/shows.

Which TV would be the better value for money out of those 2.
I'm open to other suggestions under £750 for a 55 inch.

Thanks!

Sloppy Bob

Distinguished Member
If you've returned a VA panel TV and are now looking at IPS panels, but don't need wide viewing angles then I think you need to do a bit more research.

IPS panels have poorer contrast, worse blacks and worse uniformity than the VA panel in your Hisense.

Also

Dodgexander

Unless you have a specific need or want for a TV that uses an IPS panel you'd probably be better off looking at TVs using VA panels instead.

Problem is there's not really a close alternative at 55" to the LGs in terms of TVs using 120hz panels. The TV closest in spec is one you've mentioned already; the Sony XH9005. The LGs do have support for 120hz VRR via their HDMI 2.1 ports. They have good smart TV and the built in sound is above average. They do decently in brighter conditions and they have wider viewing angles, but they also will be downgrades compared to the Hisense with HDR, contrast and blacks. Dark room performance in particular will be poor with the Nano86 especially due to use of IPS panels. The Nano90 does have a FALD system, so will be a little better.

The Sony XH90 is currently overpriced, I'd expect a price drop on it soon. Its almost the same price as the XH95 despite being an inferior TV, so no idea why its still at 900 when other TVs have seen good discounts.

Perhaps consider: Bargain - Sony centre direct refurbished store thread ?

Starvin

Unless you have a specific need or want for a TV that uses an IPS panel you'd probably be better off looking at TVs using VA panels instead.

Problem is there's not really a close alternative at 55" to the LGs in terms of TVs using 120hz panels. The TV closest in spec is one you've mentioned already; the Sony XH9005. The LGs do have support for 120hz VRR via their HDMI 2.1 ports. They have good smart TV and the built in sound is above average. They do decently in brighter conditions and they have wider viewing angles, but they also will be downgrades compared to the Hisense with HDR, contrast and blacks. Dark room performance in particular will be poor with the Nano86 especially due to use of IPS panels. The Nano90 does have a FALD system, so will be a little better.

The Sony XH90 is currently overpriced, I'd expect a price drop on it soon. Its almost the same price as the XH95 despite being an inferior TV, so no idea why its still at 900 when other TVs have seen good discounts.

Perhaps consider: Bargain - Sony centre direct refurbished store thread ?

Thanks for your response. It seems like my choices are to either move down to a low tier TV or go for the Nano90. I would prefer a VA panel in the mid range but the price for the Sony is too high and there's no deals for that TV on the refurbished store. I'm looking to buy the TV asap because I've got nothing since the last TV I had became faulty.

Would I be be better off with the LG or would a low tier VA perform better? The TV will mostly be used in a dark room and the viewing angles aren't a big factor for me.

The latest video from AVForums

Oculus Quest 2 VR headset + Rotel A14 MkII Amp Reviews & Best of the Month
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom