Answered 55 Inch TV for conservatory

chris3234red

Standard Member
Reaction score
i currently have a 40" Sony lcd about 7years old in our conservatory but want to replace with a 55 ".Based on advice from this forum (which is very informative) I recently replaced our old 42" plasma in our living room with a LG 55E7 OLED which I managed to get for the price of a b7 in the Black Friday deals.The living room is quite a dark room and the OLED picture is in my opinion superlative with any feed, sd, hd and 4k.I don't use it for gaming, it's mainly Sky hd and Netflix and Sd when necessary.
We use the conservatory for the 6 to 8 months through the summer months and the living room through the winter.I would ideally like to replicate the picture quality in the conservatory and considered a Lg OLED A7 but am worried about the effect of sunlight on it as I have read some threads detailing possible damage to the screen.we mainly watch TV at night but occasionally during the day at weekends and the conservatory is obviously very bright.My other option based on reading on here is one of the sony xe range.
I'm just looking for some advice please, we sit about 2.5 metres away and watch mainly sky hd, a small amount of sd and Netflix but hardly any 4k at the moment.

I too read about the effect of sunlight but really I think you are always going to be fighting a losing battle with the sun anyway, so in your situation I would be tempted to just buy a much lower end TV for the conservatory, so the if you do get some sun damage, which inevitably you will after a while, it won't be as much of a loss to replace. I would be just as much worried about an LCD in the sun as an OLED.

There are some mid range LCDs that have dropped quite a bit in price recently that makes them good value, they have decent anti reflection filters too, so with that in mind I would recommend the Samsung 55MU70xx series or the Sony XE85xx series, they both perform the same.

Thanks Dodgexander for taking the time to reply, I hadn't considered the Samsung55MU70xx I'll take a look at them.With regard to the Sony range, given the viewing distance of 2.5m and the source material of mainly HD, do you think the picture would be noticeably better with the xe85 compared to the xe70 as the difference in price would get me a soundbase.I don't over scrutinise the picture, for example I haven't checked my OLED for screen uniformity etc, it just looks so good.

I think the main thing in your situation is the addition of a better anti reflection filter to the mid range models such as the two I mentioned, they will deal with reflections and therefore give you much better pq in brighter conditions than the lower end models.

Apart from that, for your average TV viewing stuff no, there really won't be that much difference at all, especially if you are one to prefer motion interpolation or frame insertion turned off.

I forgot to mention there are also two other models equal in quality to the Sony XE85xx and Samsung 55MU70xx and those are the Panasonic 58EX750 and Hisense 55NU8700, maybe you can purchase whichever you like the sound of the best, that is if you do indeed feel the need for a better anti reflection filter and 120hz panel compared to a TV like the Sony XE70xx.

In regards to upscaling comparison between lower and mid range models, I really can't notice much of a difference. Some people think Hisense' scaling is poor, but generally with HD at average viewing distances they all are very good in my own opinion.

Complicated I know, but hope it helps.

For conservatory - cheapest and brightest LCD you can find. Do not stick an OLED there - strong UV light seems to upset the chemicals used in OLED. As for LCDs - not sure how they cope with sunlight on them either, hence suggestion of cheapest.

I would also seriously consider mounting a blackout roller blind to pull down over the TV when not in use regardless of what you go for. Maybe even a small DIY wooden shroud over top and sides.

I would be worried about discolouration from the sun, even on an LCD panel. It does really depend on a lot though, even putting a tablecloth over the TV when not in use may be enough to save it.

Thanks for that, the current Sony lcd in there is about 7 years old and a basic 40" model.It seems to have been unaffected by the sun, we have solar inserts in the roof which stop the uv rays and help to regulate temperature and vertical blinds on the windows.We mainly watch TV at night so I would like a decent picture, now we have the OLED the 40" lCD looks like a postage stamp!
I am trying to decide between the 55xe70 or 85.I do like the idea of a better anti reflection filter on the screen.the xe70 models seem to be either 100, 200, or 400 hz, do these make any difference to picture quality?

the xe70 models seem to be either 100, 200, or 400 hz, do these make any difference to picture quality?
That isn't actually panel hz. Its Sony saying that you can use their software in the TV to emulate that refresh rate, usually by flashing the backlight really fast. Largely irrelevant unless you are wanting to use motion interpolation...I'm not even sure the higher motionflow hz panels can even flash faster than the lower models..

You should have a good idea if you are going to use this feature or not already, most TVs have some form of motion enhancement(s), even probably your older LCD TV. On the LG OLEDs its caused TrueMotion. If you are interested in using this then yes you can get the higher rated XE70 as far as motionflow is concerned but in every other respect (aesthetic colour aside) they are the same TV, so I would just get which colour you like the best or which store gives you the best price and warranty.

Besides, if you did want to have better motion enhancements and you intend to use them it would be another reason to get the XE85 series instead as they have 120hz panels versus 60hz which makes a lot more difference than between one Sony XE70 with 400mhz motionflow versus another XE70 with 100hz.

More info on what the motion enhancements are, what they do and their side effects here: Explanation and Best Buys for the Motion sensitive 2017 Edition

Thank you for the explanation, I don't think I would use the motion enhancements as I'm sure I have the Truemotion off on the OLED, I just have the settings (expert dark room) recommended from Steve Withers on this forum with the minimum enhancements and the picture is outstanding.
I just need to decide between the 85 or 70, the 85 is tempting, it got a best buy award on here when it was reviewed and the anti reflection filter would help, I didn't know the more expensive TVs had this on, it's not mentioned in the specs so thanks for that.

Then that puts you more in favour of the XE70 maybe.

The thing is, a few months ago this would have been a no brainer, the XE85 series was sitting at £1000 at 55" compared to the XE70 closer to £600.

I have seen people get the XE85 in price drops between £650 and £750, sometimes even getting price matches with the big retailers. Even at its current pricing its only £100-200 more than the XE70 which makes it much better value if you know there is something you will benefit from. The Samsung 55MU7000 right now maybe is better value as pricing tends to be better on that model currently but things can always soon change.

Ask yourself about smart TV too, the XE70 has a basic opera platform whilst the XE85 has android TV, to some that can be a benefit or a loss depending on which way you look at it.

One thing you could do is buy the cheaper model and try it out, if you don't like it, return it and replace it with the XE85 or Samsung MU7000.

Thanks that's great advice.If I could get the xe85 for the price you mentioned I would but I don't think they'll drop that much, it's currently about £870.
With regards to smart TV we find that we only use Netflix, the rest of our viewing on the OLED is via Sky HD.We don't have sky q and only one sky box in the house, I've cabled a HD feed to the conservatory using cat6 cable and a hdmi extender.I automatically assumed the 85 would be a noticeable better picture than the 70 as it has the better processor and trilluminos display.i also tend to keep TVs a long time so I thought the 85 might be slightly more future proof but I have read that you can't really do that.

You would think it looks a lot better but it doesn't really, the main differences are the ones I mentioned, extra motion enhancements, anti reflection filter and more HDMI ports supporting HDR. If the Sony is a tad too much the Samsung 55MU7000 is cheaper right now and isn't any better or worse.

The Triluminos malarkey is Sony's word of describing a TV that has a wide colour gamut, this means it supports displaying more saturated colours but it doesn't help with normal content, only with sources that have HDR. So for normal stuff the XE70 will be just as good.

I would be worried about discolouration from the sun, even on an LCD panel. It does really depend on a lot though, even putting a tablecloth over the TV when not in use may be enough to save it.

I've seen this with cheap monitors in the past when we had direct sun from the back of the office, so it can happen.

I've got blinds on my windows luckily as we have big windows and a open plan living room / kitchen so they are a good option in a Connie as well.

Sorry I posted without completing, I have to say I'm very impressed with the Sony for the money.i mainly watch HD and some SD, the picture is very good in my opinion.The soundbase works faultlessly via hdmi arc, so I'm really pleased with the set up.Thanks for all the advice.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom