55 inch TV for bright room (OLED, QLED)

blafa

Novice Member
Hi,
I have checked different kind of topics on this forum, but still need some additional advice.
I am looking for 55 inch TV for small sized but quite bright living room. There is a large balcony window on one side (east) and 2 roof windows opposite of TV (south), so there is quite a lot of brightness during the day. I will be seating 3m from the TV. Mostly I will be watching non-4k material, HBO, occasionally stream content from my laptop and maybe Netflix in the near future. No gaming at all. TV will be watched at evening (60%) and also during the day. No soundbar is currently planned.
My budget is up to 1500 €. From what I have read QLED will give me the best chance of seeing the image in bright conditions. Prices for some OLEDs and LEDs are very similar at the moment and can not decide in which direction to go.

In order to narrow my choices I would kindly ask you for the following advice.
1. Should I completely disregard OLED due to room brightness and focus to QLED only?
2. Should I completely disregard OLED due direct sunlight to TV during the day? We do have blinds but can not guarantee these will be down all the time.
3. Should I completely disregard OLED since kids sometimes leave movies/cartoons in pause mode for longer time? Can this cause some burn in damage?
4. Since non 4k content will mostly be watched, what should be here considered? Which TV is best from the ones listed below?

The TVs I am currently looking at are:
SAMSUNG QE55QN95A 1499 €
SAMSUNG QE55QN90A 1350 €
SONY XR55X93J 999 €
PHILIPS 55OLED806 1299 €
LG OLED55G1 1499 €
SONY XR55A83J 1499 €

Thank you very much for support.

Dodgexander

1. Depends if you want to control light or not during the day. Higher end LCD TVs can get brighter, and sustain brightness for longer than OLED TVs, but even OLEDs can be bright enough, all depends on the room, how bright it is etc.
2. If you plan on using the TV when there's a lot of sunlight on the TV, yes. OLEDs degrade with heat, so using the TV when there's a lot of heat generated by the sun isn't a good idea. Having said that, direct sunlight isn't a good idea for any TV in the long term.
3. Good rule is if you can't be there when they are using the TV, yes. TVs have screen savers but that doesn't stop your kids from exiting the screen saver and keeping the TV in menu over and over.
4. Discounting the OLEDs the Samsung QN9xA models, where x indicates 1,2,3,4 or 5. In your example QN95A is one of these. QN90A is a lower end TV. The alternative Sony is the X95J, sold minimum 65".

blafa

Novice Member
1. Depends if you want to control light or not during the day. Higher end LCD TVs can get brighter, and sustain brightness for longer than OLED TVs, but even OLEDs can be bright enough, all depends on the room, how bright it is etc.
2. If you plan on using the TV when there's a lot of sunlight on the TV, yes. OLEDs degrade with heat, so using the TV when there's a lot of heat generated by the sun isn't a good idea. Having said that, direct sunlight isn't a good idea for any TV in the long term.
3. Good rule is if you can't be there when they are using the TV, yes. TVs have screen savers but that doesn't stop your kids from exiting the screen saver and keeping the TV in menu over and over.
4. Discounting the OLEDs the Samsung QN9xA models, where x indicates 1,2,3,4 or 5. In your example QN95A is one of these. QN90A is a lower end TV. The alternative Sony is the X95J, sold minimum 65".
Thanks Dodgexander for your feedback. Much appreciated.
I am not an expert, which is obvious, therefore I have few additional questions.
1. If only SDR content will be watched is there positive side why to lean toward high end QLED or high end OLED? Will picture quality be so much better and noticeable?
2. If only SDR content will be watched and decide to go for OLED, which one would you recommend - PHILIPS 55OLED806 or SONY XR55A83J? Price is more or less the same.
3. If only SDR content will be watched and decide to go for LCD, would samsung QN85 or samsung QN90 (VA) or even sony x93J meet my expectations?

Thank you very much.

Dodgexander

1. If only SDR content will be watched is there positive side why to lean toward high end QLED or high end OLED? Will picture quality be so much better and noticeable?
Most people would agree OLED is a lot better for SDR if you can afford it. Smaller TVs are also better in general for SDR, and OLEDs are priced better at smaller rather than larger sizes. (above 55" OLEDs are poorer value).
2. If only SDR content will be watched and decide to go for OLED, which one would you recommend - PHILIPS 55OLED806 or SONY XR55A83J? Price is more or less the same.
The recommendation really doesn't change, its just a matter of choosing which model ticks the most boxes for you. You can even go for the very cheapest TVs which are dimmer like the LG A1 or B1.
3. If only SDR content will be watched and decide to go for LCD, would samsung QN85 or samsung QN90 (VA) or even sony x93J meet my expectations?
Be careful with Samsung models coming with IPS panels, see here for more info:

The Sony X90JH (which is the mdoel the X93J is a variant of) is the perfect SDR LCD TV, the main area it falls short is with HDR picture quality. in some markets though it costs almost as much, if not more than some OLED TVs, so its not really a good option unless you can make a good saving compared to OLED. For SDR on an LCD TV you can also go cheaper for the X85J/X89J series without local dimming.

With Sony/Samsung models look like this

X90J = Q80A.
X85J = Q70T.

blafa

Novice Member
Most people would agree OLED is a lot better for SDR if you can afford it. Smaller TVs are also better in general for SDR, and OLEDs are priced better at smaller rather than larger sizes. (above 55" OLEDs are poorer value).

The recommendation really doesn't change, its just a matter of choosing which model ticks the most boxes for you. You can even go for the very cheapest TVs which are dimmer like the LG A1 or B1.

Be careful with Samsung models coming with IPS panels, see here for more info:

The Sony X90JH (which is the mdoel the X93J is a variant of) is the perfect SDR LCD TV, the main area it falls short is with HDR picture quality. in some markets though it costs almost as much, if not more than some OLED TVs, so its not really a good option unless you can make a good saving compared to OLED. For SDR on an LCD TV you can also go cheaper for the X85J/X89J series without local dimming.

With Sony/Samsung models look like this

X90J = Q80A.
X85J = Q70T.

Thank you.

The latest video from AVForums

Sony Bravia XR A80J OLED TV Review
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom