55 inch 8K

greysombrero12345

Novice Member
Reaction score
Just moved house and looking to buy 2 new TV's. I was hoping to buy a 75-80 inch but the fireplace which is the only location in both rooms will only
fit a max 60 inch TV (and I dont think they now make 60 inch TV's) so I will have to buy 2 x 55 inches. My current TV is a Sony Bravo 55 inch purchased about 5 or 6 years ago and was one of the first 4k TV's. Its still decent quality and is going to the bedroom. Can anyone recommend a good 55 inch with 8K? Thanks

When measuring up, did you use width as the measurement and not the diagonal of the TV?
TV sizes are the panel diagonal only, and also do not include the width of the bezels.

8k at the moment isn't really viable, best instead to focus on getting a 4k TV with good HDR. 2020 models may still be found at a good discount, you can see the best buys in my guide here:

Just moved house and looking to buy 2 new TV's. I was hoping to buy a 75-80 inch but the fireplace which is the only location in both rooms will only
fit a max 60 inch TV (and I dont think they now make 60 inch TV's) so I will have to buy 2 x 55 inches. My current TV is a Sony Bravo 55 inch purchased about 5 or 6 years ago and was one of the first 4k TV's. Its still decent quality and is going to the bedroom. Can anyone recommend a good 55 inch with 8K? Thanks
Defo avoid 8k, not worth it all round.

Grab yourself a great 2020 tv at a bargain price: guide above is very good.

Thanks..We have builders in and they have given us the exact measurements as we want a cut out.....60 inch is perfect but 65 inch covers the fireplace with 1/2 inch either side so we have to go for a 55 inch TV.

My last TV I purchased was when 4k was the same as 8k is today...There was virtually no content apart from a screensaver in 4k which was stunning at the time....I am really pleased with the purchase as its still a good TV and will go great in the bedroom.....

I was hoping to buy a new 55 inch 8K..

You can buy an 8k model, but you'll pay a lot for it and you'll get a model with worse picture quality.
For example, Samsung have the Q700 models which are worse TVs than their highest range 4k models, but are more expensive.

And you can also find LG 8k models, but these are just behind the times in almost every other way, and will probably be worse than your old Sony.

8k is just a resolution, and is pointless on a 55" anyway unless you're going to view very, very close...desk usage close.

My advice would be to look at more than just resolution, what's impressive with new TVs today isn't the pixels they have, but the ability for the TV to display HDR. As long as you're buying into a model with good HDR capability you'll never regret it.

I had a Q700T. Screen is fine, more dark scene blooming than I expected. AI upscaling works well, makes Amazon Prime 1080p movies look closer to 4k. Colours pop well. HDR is great. Only 60hz panel so you may see some slight flicker on bright white screens.

Samsung have a habit of breaking things with firmware updates. They've just fixed their broken HDMI 2.1 port recently so it now works at 8k 60hz again (it was broken for the last 5 months). If you game then input lag is higher on HMDI port 4 than the others ports (HDMI port 4 is the one for 8k) , but otherwise very low lag with 4k.

Switch the input to PC rather than set top box or game console and feed it with some 8k content and it looks much better than 4k. I used a PC to play games/movies. PC 8k content vs 4k content makes it easy to see the difference.

Mine just broke. Waiting on Samsung to refund. Might try LG NANO96 instead. No parts for Q700T so beware if you're thinking of picking one up for cheap. Then again, Samsung have been great throughout this to be fair and offered a refund without even seeing the TV.

8K.. pointless.

Nothing is in 8K. You have to upscale to a greater level meaning poor sources look even worse, SD TV on a 4K can look bad, when you upscale even further to 8K, it's going to look terrible. Even if there was any mainstream content in 8K, the TV is too small to benefit from it.

I had a Q700T. Screen is fine, more dark scene blooming than I expected. AI upscaling works well, makes Amazon Prime 1080p movies look closer to 4k. Colours pop well. HDR is great. Only 60hz panel so you may see some slight flicker on bright white screens.

Samsung have a habit of breaking things with firmware updates. They've just fixed their broken HDMI 2.1 port recently so it now works at 8k 60hz again (it was broken for the last 5 months). If you game then input lag is higher on HMDI port 4 than the others ports (HDMI port 4 is the one for 8k) , but otherwise very low lag with 4k.

Switch the input to PC rather than set top box or game console and feed it with some 8k content and it looks much better than 4k. I used a PC to play games/movies. PC 8k content vs 4k content makes it easy to see the difference.

Mine just broke. Waiting on Samsung to refund. Might try LG NANO96 instead. No parts for Q700T so beware if you're thinking of picking one up for cheap. Then again, Samsung have been great throughout this to be fair and offered a refund without even seeing the TV.
If you think the Q700T has blooming you may want to avoid the prospect of going for an LG model that use IPS tech.
Really you need FALD+VA tech, which comes hand in hand with why its really impossible to recommend 8k models now.

Maybe at larger sizes and larger budgets TVs like the Q900T are better than the Q90T but in 2021 ranges its really hard to look any further than the 4k QN90A.

As I said, there's much, much more to a TV than only its resolution.

But there's nothing out there which ticks every box.

New NeoQLED have IPS panels, poor blooming.
OLED has fuzzy WRGB sub pixels and burn in issues.
LG NANO poor IPS contrast and HDR levels.
Sony don't support VRR.
Q80T/Q90T no 120hz+VRR + HDR together.

I'm looking through pages of TV at night trying to find something to replace the Q700T and there's nothing I'm seeing worth dropping £1500+ on right now.

Last edited:
New NeoQLED have IPS panels, poor blooming.
It depends on the model. The QN90A should be a VA type panel and is the best TV they've released for some time.
OLED has fuzzy WRGB sub pixels and burn in issues.
The pixels used are very different from the criticized LCD RGBW, shouldn't be an issue. I've not known a single person to complain about this.
Sony don't support VRR.
Planned in an update.
Q80T/Q90T no 120hz+VRR + HDR together.
They do this fine. The TVs may lack Freesync premium pro certification, but this doesn't mean they don't work with HDR.

It depends on the model. The QN90A should be a VA type panel and is the best TV they've released for some time.
"should" but nothing has been confirmed. Still waiting on official confirmation rather than random reddit posts.

The pixels used are very different from the criticized LCD RGBW, shouldn't be an issue. I've not known a single person to complain about this.
Until you connect it to a PC with 100% windows scaling and you try and read the text, when vertical lines look doubled. When a friend got his OLED he thought it was broken with weird halos. Had to disable Cleartype in order to read text documents.

Planned in an update.

Didn't Sony also plan to update their previous gen TV's to HDMI 2.1. Has that happened yet?

They do this fine. The TVs may lack Freesync premium pro certification, but this doesn't mean they don't work with HDR.
Yeah just looked it up. They fixed it a month or so ago with the firmware. Prob the same firmware which fixed the 8k 60hz with the Q700.

Like I've said you can pick holes with any TV. People saying the Q700T has a bad image usually haven't connected it do a device with HDMI 2.1 and give it an 8k image - but the input lag @8k is one of the main reasons I haven't just swapped it out for a replacement.

Until you connect it to a PC with 100% windows scaling and you try and read the text, when vertical lines look doubled. When a friend got his OLED he thought it was broken with weird halos. Had to disable Cleartype in order to read text documents.
I know a fair amount of people who've bought OLEDs for desktop use and not one has mentioned this. I'm sure its very subjective, but I'm surprised its a problem for your friend. Good to know though!
Didn't Sony also plan to update their previous gen TV's to HDMI 2.1. Has that happened yet?
Yep, but the hardware is there, they just need to release their software.
Like I've said you can pick holes with any TV. People saying the Q700T has a bad image usually haven't connected it do a device with HDMI 2.1 and give it an 8k image - but the input lag @8k is one of the main reasons I haven't just swapped it out for a replacement.
I doubt it has a bad image, but its hard to recommend it when you can get 4k models for less money that outperform the TV due to more dimming zones, and better HDR. 8k is very, very niche and on a 55" its next to pointless for most people. You basically have to use the TV for desk-type use.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom