55", Curved or flat?

Discussion in 'What Is The Best TV For You?' started by Kiribati268, Aug 20, 2018.

1. Kiribati268

Kiribati268
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I'm in serious need to upgrade my current 32" Samsung which I feel I need to use a pair of binoculars to watch it! I have decided a 55" would fit the bill nicely and after hours of research i've narrowed it down to the Samsung UE55MU8000, but I have noticed the 9000 is £40 cheaper.

It seems the only major difference is that the 9000 is curved and the 8000 is flat. On the face of it, it seems a no brainer to go for the curved but after all my research, it seems like hardly anyone on here is recommending a curved screen. Is this a quick fad that has been and gone? After much Googleing, all I can find are sponsored articles that don't really answer the question. So i'll ask the trusted forums, what are the pros/cons of a 55" curved screen?

For reference; my budget is £800, this could stretch to £1000 if it was *really* worth the upgrade. Used mainly for netflix, films, general TV and the odd sporting event. I would rarely, if ever use it for gaming.

2. Dodgexander

Dodgexander

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,411
    What prices do you have on each TV?

Haven't seen the MU8000 cheap in a while but the MU9000 has been cheap at Crampton and Moore for a while though. Yes they are both the same except one is curved.

If you can stretch to £1000 and can buy at a later time I'd keep an eye on the Sony 55XF9005 to get superior HDR and dolby vision support.

3. Kiribati268

Kiribati268
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    MU8000 - £789 @ RLR Distribution
    MU9000 - £749 @ (as you said) Crampton and Moore.

I can wait, so I may hang on for the Sony, but wouldn't it be at least 5/6 months before it's replaced with a 2019 model?

4. Dodgexander

Dodgexander

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,411
    I think reasonable to expect the Sony 55XF9005 to be closer to £1100 come Black Friday. Someone recently saw it price drop to £1100 and got a price match with richer sounds. It may have been a mistake but I think it will drop to at least £1100 then judging by last years model, the 55XE9005.

Not so long ago the 55XE9005 was selling for £999 before it sold out.

Its worth waiting for if you want good HDR, a worthy step up compared to the others discussed.

If you do not care so much about HDR quality the two TVs mentioned are good value, I don't know anything about RLR distribution though.

5. Kiribati268

Kiribati268
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I haven't heard of them, I just noticed them on Pricespy, and went to their website. I have just done a little research on them and I think they are one to avoid! Plenty of one star reviews with people having big issues with delivery and cancelled orders.