55", bright room, wide viewing angle

ermax

So I've been choosing the right 55' tv for two weeks now and I'm helpless. I would like to ask for opinions and advices.

Current tv: LG 49LF630V.
Source: HD cable (CI slot), streaming.
Content: tv shows and movies, sports.
Usage/room: casual watching in a bright room in the afternoon (tv on south wall next to the window, sun shining on the floor) or with the lights on in the evening.
Additional: watching at 30° horizontal angle and 25° vertical angle (yes, from the floor...).
Budget: £1000

My conclusion is I need an LCD with good anti-glare layer and wider viewing angles. I could get an OLED like LG BX but it is reviewed as not that bright (even dimmer than B9) and I guess the ABL could be a problem with sports like ice hockey. And I don't really need and OLED for my purposes as it is supposed to perform better in darker condition which is not the case.

Samsung Q80T for £700 would seem like a good choice but it lacks the anti-glare layer (damn you, Samsung) and the reflections are the biggest issue with my current tv. Only Q90T has the anti-glare layer but ridiculously it is double the price and no other model between these two is available in my country.

I like the LG'S webOS and magic remote but NanoCell seems inferior to other brands' tvs.

In this moment I'm leaning towards Sony's XH9505 for £1000 but it kinda still seems like an overkill for my needs. XG9505 is £900 and has X-Wide Angle too here in europe but it should have a slightly worse anti-glare.

No idea about other brands like Panasonic or Philips, because there's not much info online. The tv won't be parallel to the wall and a bit farther from it so I don't think I an ambilight is a good idea.

Is the vertical viewing angle problem? They don't usually metion that in the reviews=D

I'll be happy for any recommendation or advice.

Last edited:

tvdavid

XG9505 but only 75 inch up.
I have the Sony XH9505 I move my head around and no change at all unlike my other w905a.

ermax

I'm limited by the room size to 55" and 75" wouldn't fit in my budget anyway. Thanks for the info on XH9505.

ermax

About that viewing angles... What if you make a full step to the side or sit on the floor (I'm kinda sorry to ask about that=D )? Does the picture suffer?

ermax

That leaves me with XH9505 as there sadly is no model between Q80T and Q90T in the Czech Republic. Only clearance sale Q82R and Q85R in some questionable stores.

ermax

I think it's a silly question, but is there an OLED that could compete with XH9505 in bright room conditions?

Dodgexander

I can never really answer properly when someone says bright conditions, because I never know how bright they mean. Perhaps if you took a measurement of the average nit count in your room you could then see how that compares to the average nit count of a TV, otherwise how long is a piece of string?

Sometimes I notice that there's this big opinion from people thinking OLEDs are dim, but actually a lot of time this is because they have already been using a TV that doesn't get very bright and assume that with an OLED it will be the same. In the pre-HDR era many TVs were just dim, Plasma TVs especially. Since HDR was introduced, even budget TVs bought today that are considered dim are bright enough for most bright rooms. Compared to these older TVs an OLED is very, very bright. So it would be wrong in these scenarios to assume because your current or older TV had problems with bright conditions, an OLED would too. TVs now in general are a lot brighter than they used to be.

The other thing to consider is the difference between a bright room and glare. OLEDs cope very well with reflections, so in rooms that have a lot of glare they can cope better than LCD TVs.

So its really hard for me to answer, it all depends how bright, what you watch, what you are used too etc.

I'd say that for most people an OLED is going to be more than bright enough, but if you are at the point where you just can't see the picture of your current TV in your room then maybe you will find an LCD copes a lot better.

The other thing is pricing, once you view OLED TVs in bright conditions you kind of negate one of their biggest advantages with better blacks. At the same time viewing an LCD TV in a bright room you negate its disadvantages because you are less likely to notice blooming. So when you say to me first you are worried about blooming, but later that you have a very bright room - it doesn't really make much sense. If you view in bright conditions blooming won't be noticeable. If you view in the dark conditions it will be.

Last thing is what you watch. Content that demands a lot of brightness at once will be dimmer on an OLED than average content that doesn't. Want to watch a Hockey game during the day? Then an OLED probably isn't going to be as bright as an LCD TV will. Want to view HDR shows in bright conditions? Then probably an LCD will have the edge because it can reach brighter levels.
If however you mainly watch non-HDR content and content that doesn't demand a lot of brightness on the TV at once then I think an OLED will be more than bright enough.
Or if you watch Hockey/HDR in darker conditions in the evening, then its a non-issue with an OLED.

So think about not just how bright your room can get, but also when you watch TV. Is it really useful to have a TV that copes with bright conditions well if you rarely watch in these conditions?

Likewise, is it really sensible to think about purchasing an OLED instead of an LCD TV if you watch in lighter conditions when you pay more for an OLED generally, and won't benefit from the better blacks?

In terms of OLED models brightness comparatively to each other the BX is slightly dimmer than the CX and the Panasonic HZ2000 is brighter than the CX. Otherwise they all get around the same brightness as the CX OLED, with some deviations here and there. Some TVs dim more aggressively with bright scenes than others too, so depending on what you watch and the conditions you watch, that may be a factor too.

ermax

I feel sorry for "pushing" you into such a long reply.

Sometimes I notice that there's this big opinion from people thinking OLEDs are dim, but actually a lot of time this is because they have already been using a TV that doesn't get very bright and assume that with an OLED it will be the same. ...
My current TV the LG 49LF630V is almost unwatchable in the daytime when there is a darker scene, because everything is too black and I can clearly see reflection of my room in the screen.

The other thing to consider is the difference between a bright room and glare. OLEDs cope very well with reflections, so in rooms that have a lot of glare they can cope better than LCD TVs.
The room has south window so the sun is shining on the floor, but you are right that the main issue is the glare.

I'd say that for most people an OLED is going to be more than bright enough, but if you are at the point where you just can't see the picture of your current TV in your room then maybe you will find an LCD copes a lot better.
That was my thinking, so I focused on LCDs. But maybe just my current TV is crap. I can't really tell, because it's 5 years old and there is no other information about it except the basic specs.

... So when you say to me first you are worried about blooming, but later that you have a very bright room - it doesn't really make much sense. If you view in bright conditions blooming won't be noticeable. If you view in the dark conditions it will be.
I admit I have started studying the TV lately and I have no option to see the TVs with my own eyes nowadays. So I'm my "knowledge" is based only on reviews online and they don't always show the TV in all conditions. Therefore I didn't for example know the blooming isn't that much of an issue in a bright room. Maybe I could have guessed it, but it haven't come on my mind. The TV is used throughout the day but almost never in a completely dark room.

Last thing is what you watch. Content that demands a lot of brightness at once will be dimmer on an OLED than average content that doesn't. Want to watch a Hockey game during the day? Then an OLED probably isn't going to be as bright as an LCD TV will. Want to view HDR shows in bright conditions? Then probably an LCD will have the edge because it can reach brighter levels. ...
And that's exactly what I'm struggling with, because I HATE making compromise. Do I watch sports during daytime? Yes, I do. Do I watch HDR? No, I don't. Do I sometimes forget the TV on at a sports channel? Yes, I do. Do I watch from different angles? Yes, I do.

Likewise, is it really sensible to think about purchasing an OLED instead of an LCD TV if you watch in lighter conditions when you pay more for an OLED generally, and won't benefit from the better blacks?
And that's another aspect, because for example LG CX is the same price as mentioned XH9505, but I won't benefit from better blacks.

In terms of OLED models brightness comparatively to each other the BX is slightly dimmer than the CX and the Panasonic HZ2000 is brighter than the CX. Otherwise they all get around the same brightness as the CX OLED, with some deviations here and there. Some TVs dim more aggressively with bright scenes than others too, so depending on what you watch and the conditions you watch, that may be a factor too.
The dimming and ABL is another reason why I'm more inclined to LCD. But they won't show the ABL in action in most reviews, so I can't imagine how bad that looks and the stores are closed so I can't go and see for myself.

If the Q80T had an anti-glare or Q85T was an option, I would go for it, because the pricing is great on them in my country. Sony seems a bit overpriced to me with the XH9505 costing like LG CX. It fits my budget, but it not about having the money, it's about not wanting to spend more money than I have to to serve the purpose.

I'll probably just wait for some sale and decide solely based on the price, because any choice is a compromise in one way or another.

Anyway thank you very much for your insight. I deeply appreciate it.

Dodgexander

TV prices fluctuate quite a bit, I'd say if you watch sport the Sony is worth thinking about since its motion is better. It should be more than good enough to fight glare in your situation.

Every TV has a downside though, none is perfect. You may think Samsung sound very good because of great reflection handling and good viewing angles for a high end LCD TV, but they have downsides too like not being as good with motion.

Your TV isn't too old btw, probably around 300 nits brightness, an OLED on average will be around 500, darker with content with a lot of white on the screen at once.

You'll have to choose between performance in day vs night with OLED vs LCD. Currently if the XH9505 is the same price as the CX then the CX is very well priced, or the Sony is very badly priced.

ermax

I can't really imagine the "not being as good with motion", but I usually turn off any motion enhancing feature on any TV.

I think my TV suffer from missing the anti-glare filter the most. That's why I'm pissed of the Q80T not having one=D

The pricing examples:
XH9505, CX £1000,
BX £780,
Q80T £700.

I would still like to improve TV's daylight performance and not sacrifice the viewing angles even if the dark performance (which isn't great as the current TV is IPS) stays the same.

Last edited:

Dodgexander

Then I guess its a matter of going for the Q90T or Sony XH9505 when the prices come down. About £1000 would be a good target price for either of those TVs, although in mainland Europe you may find they drop even more depending on pricing trends.

If you can find some price history locally you can see the kind of trends set by last years models to compare. If you can see what kind of price last years Samsung Q85R dropped too, and when it dropped it will give you a pretty good idea of similar trends with the Q90T (the Q85R last year was more similar to the Q90T than the Q90R was). The same true with Sony and the XG9505. If you can see the kind of prices they dropped locally, you'll have some idea what to expect in the future from this years XH9505.

ermax

Thanks for the idea with the past prices drop. Last year Sony dropped to minimum during the black friday and it was only £50 lower than XH9505's current price. Q85R haven't dropped until summer. So that settles it in favor of XH9505. I guess I'll wait for any more price drop or prolonged guarantee and go for it. Thank you very much again=)

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: LG C1 OLED + JBL Synthesis SDR-35 First Thoughts, plus TV Show & Disc Reviews & more
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom