soggy75

Novice Member
Reaction score
As the title suggests looking at a new tv at 55'' for approx £1800
Shortlist is;
Phillips 55oled+936 £1900
Sony xr55A80 £1400
Panasonic tx55jz1500 £1600

If i get the Sony or Panasonic its likely I'd pair them with a sonos beam 2 @ £450

Has anyone compared the beam to the Philips inbuilt soundbar?
Also noticed prices creeping up since Xmas so happy to wait for them to start dropping again(as i suspect they will once the new models start to surface around March/April)

Finally whats the 'life expectancy' of an OLED ? I've had my Pioneer plasma about 14 years and still seems ok, just aware that i could have a much better picture.

Thanks in advance

What are you using it for?

Netflix
Prime
Terrestrial uk tv
Sport
Maybe 4k player at a later stage
No gaming

thanks
Cool, and what are your top priorities from the following:

Motion processing
Peak brightness
Colour accuracy
Cost
Features (inc OS)
Sound quality

Cool, and what are your top priorities from the following:

Motion processing
Peak brightness
Colour accuracy
Cost
Features (inc OS)
Sound quality
Motion processing priority as football is my main sport + my plasma has coped v well with this
Otherwise best all rounder

The Panasonic for the sheer brightness and image accuracy in HDR mode. You're looking at 9/10 accuracy instead of 8/10 with the others.
The Sony or Philips good with motion, Sony has a small edge.
Philips of course for the sound and avoiding any eARC woes.

OS wise Panasonic is pretty basic but works ok.
Sony using new Google TV, not a fan personally, but others seem to like it.
Philips still using Android TV last I checked, which is the older google TV.

Life expectancy is in hours, so it depends on your usage and how bright you have the TV.
You can see a screenshot of a spreadsheet made with estimated hours here:
1644863751308.png
1644863773021.png

The last 2022 panel hours are TVs that use the new EVO panel, in this case the Philips in your list is the only one definitely using the new panel type. Most people won't see the non-evo panel degrade by the time they change their TV, but with heavy usage and wanting to keep the TV as long as possible you may benefit from the new EVO panel.

The Panasonic for the sheer brightness and image accuracy in HDR mode. You're looking at 9/10 accuracy instead of 8/10 with the others.
The Sony or Philips good with motion, Sony has a small edge.
Philips of course for the sound and avoiding any eARC woes.

OS wise Panasonic is pretty basic but works ok.
Sony using new Google TV, not a fan personally, but others seem to like it.
Philips still using Android TV last I checked, which is the older google TV.

Life expectancy is in hours, so it depends on your usage and how bright you have the TV.
You can see a screenshot of a spreadsheet made with estimated hours here:
View attachment 1653843View attachment 1653844

The last 2022 panel hours are TVs that use the new EVO panel, in this case the Philips in your list is the only one definitely using the new panel type. Most people won't see the non-evo panel degrade by the time they change their TV, but with heavy usage and wanting to keep the TV as long as possible you may benefit from the new EVO panel.
Thats fantastic thanks

Anyone compared the philips sound to the sonos
Also what eARC woes ? Is this particularly bad with sonos beam? any particular tv?

Also what eARC woes ? Is this particularly bad with sonos beam? any particular tv?
You open yourself up to potential issues that TVs can have sending sound to an external source. Plus, the extra latency required that can introduce lip-sync. In the case of the beam 2 though latency isn't bad, its approx. 30-34ms latency.

Have a search online and you'll see countless problems with eARC and ARC. Connection problems, power issues, sync issues and audio format support problems. Some TVs/soundbars have more problems than others, sometimes it's just a case of a particular soundbar not working well with a particular TV.

I'd seek out a demo of the TV's sound if you can, I expect its actually pretty good and might beat the beam 2.

Dodgexander in his reviews lists the panasonic in a category above the sony
The panasonic in £200 more at moment..will I notice much difference on a 55'' screen
Also has the sony now got uk catch up apps..sure I read some it had been updated

Dodgexander in his reviews lists the panasonic in a category above the sony
The panasonic in £200 more at moment..will I notice much difference on a 55'' screen
Also has the sony now got uk catch up apps..sure I read some it had been updated
More brightness in HDR mode makes for a more impactful picture, 9/10 picture accuracy instead of 8/10 too.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom