55" Advice needed - I just can't decide

Aurhinius

Novice Member
So I am still struggling.

I have a good 50" Panasonic plasma but it's getting a bit long in the tooth. Doesn't do HDR and the onboard app's now are slow and clunky and have issues every so often.

I have done some reading watched reviews and there doesn't seem to be a definitive answer.

So I have been looking at 55" TV's and I have narrowed it down to this -

Philips OLED 705 - £900
Sony XH9505 - £1000
Hisense U8QF - £500

The bargain there looks like the Hisense but I am willing to pay the extra for the other two models if there is a noticeable difference.

Most content will be catch up, netflix, prime, iplayer with some football thrown in.

Any advice is appreciated as I don't "need" a new TV but think it's about time to embrace HDR and 4K content. I also don't want to get the hisense and wish I had bought one of the others.

Dodgexander

The main problem with the Hisense is the motion blur issue, its been well documented online. The TV certainly is incredible value for money (it was good value even pre discount) but it does have this caveat, does have more basic smart TV...so if you want to avoid these particular things you are best instead looking at one of the others.

Has to be said that OLEDs are usually priced a lot more than LCD TVs, so the Philips is a very attractive deal also.

I'd personally decide whether you want an LCD or an OLED first though, as it can make the decision process easier. They are two very different display technologies and much the same as when you would have bought your Plasma TV LCD TVs have their pros and cons, as do OLED.

jonnybee123

If its the broken apps that is niggling you why not plug in an Amazon 4k FireTVstick (with remote) via HDMI and completely by pass the built in tv apps?
You can access not only Amazon Prime TV and Movies but also Netflix, NowTv, BBC iPlayer, Youtube, Disney+ and music channels like Tidal and Amazon Music HD and BBC Sounds.
All that for around £50 for the top of the range Ultra 4k model
I have one and its all i use. Keeps the kids happy.

thedude

Distinguished Member
Costco were selling the Sony off cheap I thought l. Sony is a great tv but why are you not looking at the vt80 or vt90 from Samsung

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Sky Glass, Epson Laser Projectors plus Home Cinema Subwoofers and More…
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom