• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

55"/65" for Series S and netflix

DSL

Novice Member
Hi new to posting but been reading for quite a while:)

I have been thinking about upgrading my 11 year old samsung plasma (ps42b451). I want to watch netflix/prime/sky but might get the series S console for light gaming. That being said I dont think I need the all singing/dancing HDMI 2.1 tv but what do you think would be a sensible upgrade? Viewing angles not a problem as I sit face on (8feet away) in conservatory/man cave so really bright in sunlight and low light viewing in the evening. I dont want to spend more than needed and was looking at the Hisense u8q in 65" or should I get a more premium tv in 55" Max budget £1000 - can wait to black friday if need to.

Thanks

D

Dodgexander

Try to find some of the left over Sony XF9005/XG9505 or consider refurbs:

The Hisense U8Q is broadly similar to the Sony XG9505 or the new XH9505 but the U8Q is a 2020 model, so likely has some wiggle room for discount yet. I'd wait for Black Friday if you want a 2020 model.

65" is definitely preferable at 8ft away if you plan to use good quality content. Only time to go smaller would really be if you were to instead consider an OLED TV, or still use a lot of poorer quality material.

DSL

Novice Member
Thanks Dodge,

Think all XF9005/XG9505 are gone :( Will keep an eye on the refurb centre as I wait for black friday.

D

Sloppy Bob

Distinguished Member
It restocks on a Friday from what we've seen recently but what they'll get in is completely unknown.

You've got to be quick though. By the time you;ve posted an "Is this a good buy" thread and waited for an answer, it's too late.

Dodgexander

Think all XF9005/XG9505 are gone :( Will keep an eye on the refurb centre as I wait for black friday.
Last I checked there were one or two knocking about, but from more obscure retailers. You may find them in clearance sections still but it would be a matter of phoning around and possibly risking just a 1 year warranty.

If you mean from the refurb store, well they never have those TVs laying around, they come and go fast because they are such good deals. You have to be quick and be lucky as you'll read from comments in the thread.

EDIT* people beat me to it with advice above.

Dodgexander

There is a xh9005 on there now £849
Not really great value to be honest, but its kind of what you expect for this time of year. It was the same previously too. Most of the 2019 models that appear (if any) will be better. Probably won't be long before the XH9005 is selling for that price, new.

The latest video from AVForums

Spielberg, Shyamalan, Aronofsky, Chazelle, Eddie Murphy and Mel Gibson - all the latest movies
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom