• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

55" 4k TV, ~£700 budget

burgers241

Novice Member
Hi,

I'm looking to buy a new TV for my new flat, primarily used for watching TV (Sky HD), netflix/prime, streaming movies (mostly 1080p at the moment) and some gaming on PS4 Pro (So not heavily gaming weighted). My budget won't accommodate HDR, and I'm not in a position to wait and save up. I prefer it to be flat, and it will probably be paired with a Denon AVR-X2300W.

I'm happy to pick up a 2016 model to get better value. Below are my current options that I'm looking at from trawling Richer sounds:
  • PANASONIC TX58DX700B £700
  • Samsung UE55MU6100 £670
  • Hisense H55M7000 £600
Only other option would be to drop to 49" and get a open box KS9000 for £800, but am leaning to saving ~£200, being happy with it for ~3 years, and then buy again if needed.

Would really appreciate any advice on what's my best option, as well as any other options I should consider.
Thanks!

kenshingintoki

Distinguished Member
I think you can't go wrong with any of these screens. At this price point I"d be looking at getting the biggest screen I could get for my money given the quality between each screen isn't going to be worlds apart.

I'd edge towards the Panny 58 incher but if you could stretch to one of the Hisense 65 inch screens, I'd consider that too.

If you value black levels, screen uniformity etc. you can't really say no to the KS9000 at £800. its a very very good deal for a screen thats really rare now. I personally hate the curve tho.

If you settle with the hisense, and pocket the £200 that means you can upgrade within this price range again in 2 years so it all works in round abouts.

cooperda

Prominent Member
Are you sure about not getting HDR?

My 50in Samsung JU6400 got a firmware update for HDR and that's a 2015 model.

Looking around I see a 55KU6000 on Amazon for £655 that has HDR

burgers241

Novice Member
Thanks for all the replies, really appreciated.

@cooperda, I'm not sure no, and would obviously prefer HDR. I thought that the consensus was that unless you are getting a KS7/8/9000, or a Panasonic DX-750+, it isn't really worth it.

I could maybe look to pick up a refurbished Panasonic 58DX802B for ~£800...

Dodgexander

There is a big difference between accepting a HDR signal and displaying it. I generally fit HDR TVs in to 4 categories.

1. Those that accept a HDR signal, but have no means to reproduce HDR other than accepting the signal.
  2. Those that accept a HDR signal, but have wide colour gamut (WCG) to at least display better colours with HDR.
  3. Those that accept a HDR signal, have WCG and also get bright enough to meet UHD HD Premium specifications for HDR. These are the minimum I would care about purchasing if I wanted HDR.
  4. Those that do the same as point 4 but have display technologies that favor HDR such as an OLED (so it can easily separate pixel by pixel) or a FALD LCD (so it can more effectively get brighter in a smaller area vs an edge lit TV.
Its worth noting that almost always 1-3 are edge lit LCD models

So from your shortlist the MU series samsung fits under number 1, and the Panasonic DX-700 and Hisense M7000 fit under number two.

The KS series Samsungs are number 3.

But its also worth considering not upgrading at all and keeping what you have because for most people, UHD isn't noticable at normal viewing distances and HDR content is thin on the ground, so even with a decent HDR tv it is going to cost you a lot and you will find still that there isn't enough content out there. If you plan on paying for netflix/amazon prime, buying a HDR games console and a UHD Blu-Ray disc player to enjoy HDR then it would be different, but for the most part UHD is usually a waste and does have drawbacks with upscaing SD material. I wrote about it here: UHD vs FHD

Dodgexander

There is a big difference between accepting a HDR signal and displaying it. I generally fit HDR TVs in to 4 categories.

1. Those that accept a HDR signal, but have no means to reproduce HDR other than accepting the signal.
  2. Those that accept a HDR signal, but have wide colour gamut (WCG) to at least display better colours with HDR.
  3. Those that accept a HDR signal, have WCG and also get bright enough to meet UHD HD Premium specifications for HDR. These are the minimum I would care about purchasing if I wanted HDR.
  4. Those that do the same as point 4 but have display technologies that favor HDR such as an OLED (so it can easily separate pixel by pixel) or a FALD LCD (so it can more effectively get brighter in a smaller area vs an edge lit TV.
Its worth noting that almost always 1-3 are edge lit LCD models

So from your shortlist the MU series samsung fits under number 1, and the Panasonic DX-700 and Hisense M7000 fit under number two.

The KS series Samsungs are number 3.

But its also worth considering not upgrading at all and keeping what you have because for most people, UHD isn't noticable at normal viewing distances and HDR content is thin on the ground, so even with a decent HDR tv it is going to cost you a lot and you will find still that there isn't enough content out there. If you plan on paying for netflix/amazon prime, buying a HDR games console and a UHD Blu-Ray disc player to enjoy HDR then it would be different, but for the most part UHD is usually a waste and does have drawbacks with upscaing SD material. I wrote about it here: UHD vs FHD

burgers241

Novice Member
Thanks for the detailed explanation and breaking it down, and I've read your gaming HDR buyers guide too which is what I was basing my assumptions on.

Unfortunately I don't have the option to not upgrade, as I don't have a TV I can take to my new place. I also have Netflix & prime, a PS4 pro so that would be some benefit.

I'm tempted to stretch my budget to £800 and get a refurbished Panasonic 58DX802B.

EndlessWaves

Distinguished Member
I'm tempted to stretch my budget to £800 and get a refurbished Panasonic 58DX802B.

The DX802 is essentially the DX750 with a few added bells and whistles like a fancy stand, less thickness and a bundled soundbar. Unless any of it's features appeal then you may find the 750 is better value.

LevelUpRob

Established Member
My 4k set has no hdr and my regular launch ps4 looks brilliant on it. Yes it's allways good to have the latest tech but you don't have to buy the be all and end all

The latest video from AVForums

SVS Prime Wireless Pro Powered Speakers - Review Coming Soon
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom