Question 55" 4K HDR TV for less than £1000 (current tv is 5 years old)

mug

Hey Guys,

I think it's time I upgraded my current TV as it's an ancient LG 42LM620T which is just over 5 years old. I have Netflix and Amazon Prime account's so that's where I'll be getting my 4K content from. For 1080 content I have a PS4 Slim, my PC and Sky. I'm not too bothered about the Smart OS because I'll probably use my Nvidia Shield!

I have a few Q's

1. I assume the tech and processing have improved a ton in the past 5 years but I'm wondering if a new TV would see any improvements in watching/playing 1080 content even though they'll be native 4K sets?

2. Is my budget of £1000 enough to get a set with good HDR, will I noticed a difference in quality on Netflix at 4K HDR on a 55" than at 1080p on my current 42" set? My viewing distance is roughly 1.6m.

3. Would PC gaming at 1080p look ok on a 55" set?

Thanks,
Marcus

Dodgexander

1. I assume the tech and processing have improved a ton in the past 5 years but I'm wondering if a new TV would see any improvements in watching/playing 1080 content even though they'll be native 4K sets?
No, not really, in some cases it may look worse as it needs to be upscaled rather than displayed natively.
2. Is my budget of £1000 enough to get a set with good HDR, will I noticed a difference in quality on Netflix at 4K HDR on a 55" than at 1080p on my current 42" set? My viewing distance is roughly 1.6m.
Not at 55". For good you're looking at around £1500+ for a TV like an LG OLED or maybe the Sony XE9305 LCD, for decent HDR the minimum is the Sony XE9005.
3. Would PC gaming at 1080p look ok on a 55" set?
As long as you view optimally for that kind of content it will look okay, if you view closer to see more detail from UHD content FHD will look softer, I find its noticeably softer on my 65" UHD at around a metre away.

I have written a few threads that may help:
Should I upgrade? - UHD vs FHD
My best value TVs, 2017 Edition

Analysis

Banned
it's an ancient LG 42LM620T which is just over 5 years old.

Does go to show that it has outlived a lot of tv's made within the last few years.

That's why I've kept my Sharp at nearly 11 years old, solid and reliable.

I'm still deciding whether to upgrade or not at the current time.

They are all made in a similar fashion these days, if you get 3 years out of a tv nowadays you've done good, they are not made very good anymore, even if you pay more it will not guarantee you a tv which will last longer than a budget one.

My advice is use a reputable dealer like John Lewis or Richer Sounds and get a 5 or 6 year guarantee, and use a credit card for additional consumer protection.

Pricespy.co.uk is your friend when it comes to price matching, JL and RS will price match if you give them proof via e-mail.

mug

Thanks for the replies guys. I've decided I'm going hold off and save up to get something like the Sony 55XE9305 or maybe even an OLED.

There's still life in my old girl and I'll use it for another year or so!

The latest video from AVForums

AVForums Movies Podcast: We review Dune and ask which is the best decade for horror movies?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom