55" £400 budget. What do I get??

I have the XE9005, purchased after seeing it alongside the XE9305. Yes the XE9305 is noticeably brighter however, on the XE9305 the black bars above the picture were grey but on the XE9005 there were deep black (and still are on my set over three years down the line). So, to my aged eyes (but I accept not for others), the XE9005 is bright enough and I very much enjoy the picture from this TV. But I doubt you would be able to find one now, even second hand.
I wanted a DX902 but I couldn't find any and as I said earlier I was lucky to find the XE9305. That was maybe 4 years ago. I'm not sure I would look for one now but then the XE93 is only one year younger so.....
I upgraded to the XE9305 because of Dolby Vision but stayed because of the doubling of brightness.
It does make a very noticeable difference for HDR content which is why I said that if HDR is not that important the the OP then XE90 would be fine. Plus the dark grey black bars don't bother me at all. To be honest outside of Black Frame Insertion, Sony TVs haven't improved that much over their XE series predecessors, so if he could find an XE or XF series TV that would be a significant improvement over what he currently has.

Put a wanted post in the forum classifieds? You never know? Don’t forget to include your location for practicality reasons in lockdown!

I don't really know how often it comes up, you can try a wanted add. You can search sold or completed listings on eBay to see how often it comes up.

But as mentioned already above, any of the TVs will be fine and a good upgrade over what you're using. The Sony 55XE9305 or 55XF9005 are more than good enough.

I've found one 65" model Panasonic on eBay listed with "some minor banding". What does this mean? Shall I steer clear? Would it get worse?

Its screen uniformity. People describe visible lines on the screen as 'banding'.
Mentioned it before when you asked what to check on a second hand TV.

They are about equal. Same as if you are buying new today Sony strength is with motion and picture accuracy. Samsung smart TV and blooming suppression.

So, my final choices are:

KD-55XE9305 - like new £600

QE55Q9FN - like new £575

TX-65DX902B - some 'minor' banding £500

QE55Q70RAT - like new £450

UE55KS7000 - like new £400

Which one and why?

Last edited:
The Q9FN by far. Its local dimming and HDR performance is better than the DX902, its younger and its only 75 more.

I thought you said previously that it was too expensive? That is why I put the DX902 at the top of the list.

The Q9FN by far. Its local dimming and HDR performance is better than the DX902, its younger and its only 75 more.

I thought you said previously that it was too expensive? That is why I put the DX902 at the top of the list.

I've found one at £575 but it's a 3 hour trip to get it!

Then go for the DX902. Any of these TVs you'll want to view beforehand to adjudge the screen uniformity anyway. At very least see pictures of grey uniformity slides in advance.

I've found one at £575 but it's a 3 hour trip to get it!
Which you really should not be doing during lockdown!! Or going into peoples’ houses :)

I think the price you have for the Q70R is also fair, so if its closer just get that model. It will be better than what you have by far.

Of course this is all up to you, its about how much time and money you are willing to put in to getting a better TV. Compared to spending the same money new you'll be getting terrific value for money, that's for sure.

I think the price you have for the Q70R is also fair, so if its closer just get that model. It will be better than what you have by far.

Of course this is all up to you, its about how much time and money you are willing to put in to getting a better TV. Compared to spending the same money new you'll be getting terrific value for money, that's for sure.

Sorry the Sony is 3 hours. The Panasonic's close to me, but has the "minor banding"...

I know and never said I will be doing it until this is lifted
Hopefully these TVs for sale now, still will be in 3-6 months :)

Q7FN is an edge lit TV, not comparable. Its worth viewing the DX902 to see how bad its banding is, since its close.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom