55” Samsung Q80A - Alternatives?

Fuller23

Novice Member
Reaction score
Hi

We’re looking for a new 55” tv for the living room. Will be used for regular TV and streaming (Netflix, Disney, Amazon, sport) so needs to have the usual apps. No gaming if that makes a difference.

It’s going to be part of a media wall so the depth of it isn’t really a concern, but I do want the sound to be ok (comparatively) as we won’t be using a soundbar with it.

The top end of our budget would be £700. I’d seen the Samsung Q80A was well reviewed, and I can get it for £675 from Samsung direct so just within budget. We have a smaller Samsung tv in the kitchen and have liked it so far. However, I’d prefer to get the tv from John Lewis/Richer Sounds/Costco to get the 5/6 year warranty. None of them have that specific model though unfortunately.

I’m a bit lost with the differences between models, so wondered if there was a different tv that would be comparable within budget with a longer warranty?

Although £700 is the top limit, I’m also more than happy to spend less than that if we don’t need to! The Hisense 55U8GQTUK is £480 at Costco which looks good value. Would that do what I need it to? Or will I really notice the difference from spending an extra £200 or so?

The Samsung Q80A is as good as you'll get in your budget. The most comparable model is the Sony X90J which tends to be more expensive.

You won't want to go cheaper. Already the Samsung is pretty sub-par when it comes to modern TV usage which will include HDR from internal apps. It's a recommended entry level model in my guide here:

Hisense U8G is also in the guide, but is really a last resort for someone who needs wider viewing angles on a limited budget. They use IPS panels which have a lot worse picture quality otherwise.

The Samsung Q80A is as good as you'll get in your budget. The most comparable model is the Sony X90J which tends to be more expensive.

You won't want to go cheaper. Already the Samsung is pretty sub-par when it comes to modern TV usage which will include HDR from internal apps. It's a recommended entry level model in my guide here:

Hisense U8G is also in the guide, but is really a last resort for someone who needs wider viewing angles on a limited budget. They use IPS panels which have a lot worse picture quality otherwise.
Thanks. I’ve managed to find the Q80A with 6 year warranty for £680, so will probably go for that. Argos have the X90J for £699, but looks like just the 1 year warranty from them. Unfortunately it’s out of stock with Sony direct.

You could maybe find the QN85/90/94A, but the first two are ADS panels. But Q80A is also good.

Sometimes Sony have the X90J refurbished on their outlet:

All manufacturer warranties are 1 year. Including the refurb Sony's.

Anything you see extra is bolted on insurance by the shop you buy it from and is not extra manufacturer warranty.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom