Votes: 1 9.1%
  • LG 55C14LB

Votes: 4 36.4%
  • LG 55CX5LB

Votes: 1 9.1%

• Total voters

AndyGPG

Novice Member
Hi guys, I’m purchasing a 55” TV which will mainly be used for watching Football, NFL and lots of other sports as well as Netflix, Sky TV programmes and in the future Playstsion 5/Xbox.

TV will be positioned in front of a window and whilst some use in daytime it will mainly be used at night with curtains drawn in a not overly bright room.

Please help me choose between the 4 TVs in the above poll. I’m a bit worried about OLED burn out etc (especially with so much static boxes in NFL and sky sports news etc) so have included both OLED and LED. The Sony and the LG CX5 are both £200 cheaper than the Samsung and LG C14 so if there’s not much difference (especially with the 2 LG’s) then please let me know as I’ve already gone over the original budget and saving some cash would be good. Many thanks in advance!

tvdavid

voted for c1 but given your sports usage I would pick Sony 55X90J

Hawking

Standard Member
I'd be against an Oled too, because if you were to get any wear out problems due to your usage, the warranty wouldn't cover it.

I would actually suggest the 55" Samsung QN94A. It's the best lcd this year.

It's £1099 on RGB Direct, so RicherSounds will price beat, including a free Samsung soundbar. Just placed an order myself.

Last edited:

AndyGPG

Novice Member
I'd be against an Oled too, because if you were to get any wear out problems due to your usage, the warranty wouldn't cover it.

I would actually suggest the 55" Samsung QN94A. It's the best lcd this year.

It's £1099 on RGB Direct, so RicherSounds will price beat, including a free Samsung soundbar. Just placed an order myself.
Just looked on RGB and the Samsung 55QN94A is £1399!

Samsung QE55QN94A​

Hawking

Standard Member
Just looked on RGB and the Samsung 55QN94A is £1399!

Samsung QE55QN94A​

Oh Damn. It was that price yesterday & this morning. Sorry to hear that. My advice would be to possibly wait and see if they run that offer again up to Christmas time? Or see what new offer Richer Sounds do in the meantime?

Because the Sony X90J is not a good deal. It doesn't get bright enough for HDR content which you're interested in using in the future. There isn't a competing lcd to the QN94A this year really. Sony's competing X95J only begins at 65".

Last edited:

AndyGPG

Novice Member
Oh Damn. It was that price yesterday & this morning. Sorry to hear that. My advice would be to possibly wait and see if they run that offer again up to Christmas time? Or see what new offer Richer Sounds do in the meantime?

Because the Sony X90J is not a good deal. It doesn't get bright enough for HDR content which you're interested in using in the future. There isn't a competing lcd to the QN94A this year really. Sony's competing X95J only begins at 65".
Just checked and it’s now gone back down to the price you said! I can’t find much online about the QN94a though? How does it differ from the QN90a and the QN95a? Can’t find any reviews or anything!?

Hawking

Standard Member
Just checked and it’s now gone back down to the price you said! I can’t find much online about the QN94a though? How does it differ from the QN90a and the QN95a? Can’t find any reviews or anything!?
The QN94A is the exact same as the QN95A, except it only comes with 1 hdmi 2.1 port instead of 4, & doesn't have something called a one connect box, which if you're wall mounting, allows the ports to run through the box instead.

AndyGPG

Novice Member
As I said in the other thread, CX is worth the 200 saving over the C1.
Yeah thanks.... Im just a bit worried about the burn out issue and they have now sold out anyway. Saying that though Ive found out that JL do an extra insurance that covers burn out so was looking at the LG 55C1 against the Sony 55A80U in their today. Just trying to decide whether the Samsung QN94A might be a better bet if I dont want to worry about the burn out!? I want to try and see that side by side with the Sony and LG OLEDs. Think Im narrowing it down to those now which is a little different to the poll above.

Dodgexander

Pointless seeing them side by side really, if anything it will throw you red herrings. They will look very different at home to in a shop.

There's no doubt about it though, if you are watching things like Sky Sports news you don't want to go OLED.

AndyGPG

Novice Member
Pointless seeing them side by side really, if anything it will throw you red herrings. They will look very different at home to in a shop.

There's no doubt about it though, if you are watching things like Sky Sports news you don't want to go OLED.
Yeah I think I’ve decided that now (some shops are quite good at saying I’ll be fine though) as I just don’t want to take the risk and be worrying all the time and yelling at the kids not to keep pausing YouTube lol!

I finally feel like I’m getting somewhere now in my search but is there anything else to consider alongside the Samsung 55 QN94A? (What’s its main rival?)

AndyGPG

Novice Member
There isn't really one, the Sony X95J and TCL C825 probably the next best, but in most areas is inferior.
I really like Sony generally and was hoping to get a sony tv (hence my initial thoughts of getting the 55X90J) but don’t think its meant to be. I remember seeing the x95j but it doesn’t come in 55” otherwise I’d have looked more into it. Really appreciate your insight along with others.

Dodgexander

You can see in the other thread someone is very happy with the X90J they saw:

But it has caveats, namely its poorer HDR picture due to lower brightness. TCL C825 is looking to be the that fills the gap between X90J and QN9xA models (excluding QN90A) in the higher end LCD market.

Even Philips are not making their higher end LCD TVs smaller than 65" now.

The latest video from AVForums

Sony Bravia XR A80J OLED TV Review
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom