Dismiss Notice
Attention AVForums app / Tapatalk users
Sadly GDPR means that, from 25th, we can no longer offer access to AVForums via the branded app or Tapatalk.
Click here for more information.

'52 BMW 320, E46 and connection for a Creative Zen Touch

Discussion in 'ICE, Sat Navs & Dash Cams Forum' started by BigRD, Jan 28, 2005.

1. BigRD

BigRD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    Can anyone tell me if there's a method of connecting my Zen Touch 20Gb to my 3 series audio. I have the 6 disc changer fitted in the boot already but may consider disconnecting if I can utilise the audio connection.

I've tried using an FM transmitter but it's a bit tooooo hissy for me. I've thought about using a cassette adapter but it would be a last resort.

Finally can anyone advise on how to remove the 3 series head unit.

2. chaplic

chaplic
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Yes...
    Speak to your dealer, they can fit an 'AUX' port for about 40 quid... just say it's for hooking up an MP3 player 'like an ipod'. I think the connection is in the glove compartment. They need to know your exact model/ chassis no though.

I was going to get mine done, but it's a company car and I've only got 27k miles to go before it's replaced, probably with the new one, which'll hopefully have an MP3-cd player option or even the AUX port.

3. gizlaroc

gizlaroc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +795
    To remove the head unit you need to take off the trim just above it and over teh top of the glove box (either chrome, walnut etc.).
    Use a blunt knife under a cloth and start to pry it off from the passenger side, wiggle it so it comes away enough to get your fingers behind it, then you can work it loose, it is held in with 4 or 5 big pins that go into the dash.
    Once this is off you will see 2 screws holding the heaqd unit in.
    The adapter can be bought for around £20 from the dealer, it just slides into the correct pins on the iso connector on the back.
    I ran this to the cubby holder behind the handbranke, ipod sits in there nicely and you can see the display better than the glove box.
    If you have a cup holder here you can replace it with a tray that has a sliding cover for about £15.

www.e46fanatics.com for some useul guides on this sort of stuff.

4. memmerson

memmerson

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    I've got the Dension Ice>Link plus in my Z4. Allows you to control ipod from factory headunit or mfsw as if it were a cd autochanger (i.e. volume, skip tracks etc.). Also you can create playlists on ipod and select them using the CD 1-6 buttons on the headunit. Works well, recommended. Only caveat, requires cd autochanger to be unplugged. About £100

5. gizlaroc

gizlaroc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +795
    I have a new dension icelink sitting here all boxed up if it is any use to any one.
    Obviously for a bmw, and it has a long enough cable on it for the Satellite Navigation too (as this is fitted in the boot).

£40 cheque made out to Great Ormond Street Hospital for Chidren will cover it.
    I am about to post this on www.bmwland.co.uk too but thought the more coverage the better, and someone woth a bmw may look in here.

6. BigRD

BigRD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    Can I leave the CD changer connected or do I loose it? Secondly how do I select the new Aux in once fitted?

Many thanks for all your suggestions. :smashin:

7. gizlaroc

gizlaroc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +795
    If it is the bmw aux you leave it connected.
    Once installed when you cd button twice AUX comes up on the display.

8. BigRD

BigRD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    It take it from that the AUX only appears after the kit is connected.

My car has the BMW Business Radio Cassette fitted with 6 CD Changer. The functions are chosen using the MODE button - Radio > Changer > Tape > Radio.

9. gizlaroc

gizlaroc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +795
    Yeah only after the aux input is connected.

It is well worth checkeing the e46 fanatics link above a sit was MY03 cars and above that are compatible, which were from Aug/Sept build from memory. I have the widescreen navigation in mine on an '02 plate and mine was not compatible.

10. BigRD

BigRD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    My car's a 52 plate (September delivery) so could be a MY02. I'm going to dealer on Friday this week so will ask the question while I'm there. I'm looking to change the car come Sept/Oct anyway so I don't want to spend too much money on it. Fancy a new shape 5 series touring so I'll have to check that they're compatible too. :)

11. Jeggerz

Jeggerz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Apologies for bringing back such an old topic, but I'm looking to do this myself.

Gizlaroc - when you talk about removing the trim - you say it's held in with 4 or 5 pins... Does it unclip from these pins, or are the pins attached to it ?

Will I need to reglue it to get it back on, or simply push it back into place and then force the pins back into place ?

Thanks in advance

12. gizlaroc

gizlaroc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +795
    The Pins (more like think spikes) are attached to the trim piece, and there are holes in the dash that these push into.
    Start with the outside edge and slowly prise it away.

They simply push back in again.

13. Jeggerz

Jeggerz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Brilliant, thanks very much :)