52" 1080p LCD Sets - Advice Needed

Discussion in 'LCD & LED LCD TVs Forum' started by Sean1504, May 3, 2007.

Tags:
  1. Sean1504

Sean1504

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi All,

I'm in the market for a 52" 1080p screen and would welcome any advice from anyone who owns one. My main sources will be PS3, my Macbook, V+ box (Virgin's answer to Sky+ HD, with a staggering one channel of HD content currently) and i'll probably get a 360 in the not too distant future as well. The PS3, Macbook and V+ box would all ideally be connected through HDMI and i'm aware that SD content on the whole will look crap.

If I had the money i'd like the Sony X series but unfortunately can't afford £3500. I was therefore drawn to the Samsung M87 as it has the three HDMI 1.3 ports which would match the PS3 nicely but i've since discovered that the fact that it has HDMI 1.3 ports doesn't really mean much as without 30 or 40 bit colour processing you won't see the extra benefit.

I've also looked into the Sharp XD1E sets with their 4ms response time but from the thread it appears they have banding issues however they are cheaper.

Does anyone have any real world experience or recommendations regarding any 52" 1080p sets? Are the extra inches worth the extra cost over a 46" even? Is it worth the wait for the 100/120hz sets? Will they be prohivbitively expensive when their released?

I have tried looking through threads but when the posts get up to the thousands it makes it quite hard to drop in and find the information your after. The Samsung thread seems to be made up entirely of 40" and 46" owners as well.

Any help, advice or links to relevant threads would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Sean

2. Chris5

Chris5

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +182
    Hi Sean

I think you've covered all the options and answereed your own question. If you can't afford the sony, then your only choice is to wait for new sets later in the year.

I bottled out of buying the sony myself because of motion blur, bought a Panny 50PH9 plasma panel for £1330 with the view to replacing it round about xmas with a 1080P set of some description.

3. Sean1504

Sean1504

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the reply. I'm not sure if I can wait though to be honest as we're currently making do with a 24" 4:3 CRT perched on a coffee table a couple of feet from our sofa. Does anyone know if the new 100HZ sets will be really expensive on release? Does anyone own the Sammy or Sharp that can give some advice?

4. Robbie Razzler

Robbie Razzler

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +99
    The 100hz tv's, i don't think will be that more expensive, in the next few months it will be a standard across most of the new sets coming out. i'm holding out for the toshiba 52" z series with 100 hz and reviews of the toshiba x series which doesn't have that feature say motion blurring is hardly noticable so looks good on that front. If i was you i would wait and i can say that because i'm sittng here myself with a 28" crt as well :eek: because in the next few months all the major brands are bringing out new screens with lots of exciting new features and this should give you plenty of choice to pick from. Ive seen the banding on the sharps and i would advice you to give these a miss.

5. Chris5

Chris5

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +182
    yes definately avoid the sharps, they are cheap in comparison to the sonys for a good reason ...:rolleyes:... because they are rrrrubbish!

PS before anybody with a good sharp complains, yes there are a few working ones out there, but not many.