50PUS9005/12 Digital audio not as option for sound output

Jepulis1

Novice Member
Reaction score
Hi!

Have had great time with this Philips TV (50PUS9005/12). Just bought stereo receiver/amplifier to improve audio to similar level as the video is. But here comes the problem, TV/Android TV setting doesn't have option for digital (optical) audio output that I could activate. Only options are TV speakers, HDMI, TV speakers off. Also tried all digital output formats in-case digital output is "always on" to no avail.

Is there any workaround to get this unit to output audio thru the optical output? Also considering getting splitter for hdmi signal and take audio from there to my receiver, but that doesn't feel like preferable option.

Receiver is Denon CEOL CDR-N10

Thanks for any help!
IMG_20210814_165612.jpg

You must be doing something wrong as the optical out will work for all sources.
You can also use the 3.5mm headphone out to an Aux input on your amp

You must be doing something wrong as the optical out will work for all sources.
You can also use the 3.5mm headphone out to an Aux input on your amp
Heyah!

Thanks for reply, 3.5mm jack is good back up option!

Manuals and guides claim that you have to actually choose which output from TV is active. Like you can't output TV speakers and optical at same time for example.

Amp works just fine with other sources and 3,5mm jack from TV works as well but the optical would be the most convenient to use. That's why I'm wondering am I doing something wrong with the output settings or why the optical output doesn't show up as option for output from TV.

It's possible you have to plug in an optical cable for it to be active and selectable.

What source is the TV set to?
Try setting it to it's internal tuner then go into the audio settings.

I tried multiple sources: cable (analog and digital channels), Netflix and USB as source for media. No change.

I found posts and manual mentioning about making sure digital output is set to PCM. That option is missing from the TV/Android TV settings so there is no knowing is it default or is the output set to some other format.

Guess I just gotta stick with 3.5mm to analog L/R for time being. It's just annoying cuz volume on amp has to be quite high that way. When you change to different source for amp, say online radio or Spotify, you have to remember to turn down volume first.

Will ask from Philips why this TV doesn't have same audio output setting as some other Philips android TVs.

Is there a red glow at the free end of the optical cable when plugged in to the TV?
Have you tried the “TV Speakers off” option?

Yeah there is red glow and yeah have tried speakers off. No change, receiver prompts signal unlock so it doesn't get the signal in right format according manuals.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom