50PUS8505 problems with HDR

Enn

Standard Member
Hi there,

I'm hoping someone can help with this.

HDR content looks very bad on my new(ish) 8505. Compared to SDR, the colors are flat and washed out. Colors seem to blend, becoming blurry and losing detail, there's a slight greenish tint. Contrast is also way worse than with SDR.

I experimented with HDR content on both an nvidia shield TV and chromecast ultra, trying multiple shows and settings. Getting similar results all around. 4K on SDR is looking pretty good, but on rec2020 picture quality degrades noticably. I also tweaked HDR settings quite a lot, but even on the best combination of settings (HDR plus on medium, sharpness 1, color 70) it's significantly worse than regular SDR. I installed the latest firmware on both the TV and connected hardware.

I don't understand what's going wrong. Are my expectations too high for a TV in this price range? The TV is marketed as HDR capable, I figured the 10-bit screen should be able to make use of the HDR spectrum. Is this just how HDR looks on a non-oled TV?

Hope some of you can share experiences or advice,
Thanks in advance

Last edited:

AVtest

Hi congratulations with your new headache purchase.
I would strongly advice to read over any news 8505 forum
To answer your question from my personal understanding:
Yes you have too high expectations as this is budget tv with mediocre panel 350nits...
Also in no days I would believe that for this price tag you will have true 10bit panel. Probably its 8+FRC.
But you can try using settings from that thread to improve overall experience. Also there seems to be firmware issue with Philips in relation to HDR (check other threads). Colours out of the box always have some tints, mine had blue and red till I tweaked it a bit. But HDR is a bit flat and dull should I say to my liking.
Must admit there are always issues with picture quality on philips tv's. I think OLED have lot less issues, but different price tag there.

You mentioned shield and chromecast did you adjust hdmi settings? I think you have 2 options there which might shift colours.

Is this just how HDR looks on a non-oled TV? Absolutely not, buy some decent tv with FALD able to output 500nits+ and you will feel difference. U8QF budget option just as example. Plenty Sony models too.

Fun part - have you tried any sample videos from USB in 4K HDR or dolby as ususally they do play well. It is mostly when I play streamed content then becomes tricky.

Skill

Novice Member
Hi there,

I'm hoping someone can help with this.

HDR content looks very bad on my new(ish) 8505. Compared to SDR, the colors are flat and washed out. Colors seem to blend, becoming blurry and losing detail, there's a slight greenish tint. Contrast is also way worse than with SDR.

I experimented with HDR content on both an nvidia shield TV and chromecast ultra, trying multiple shows and settings. Getting similar results all around. 4K on SDR is looking pretty good, but on rec2020 picture quality degrades noticably. I also tweaked HDR settings quite a lot, but even on the best combination of settings (HDR plus on medium, sharpness 1, color 70) it's significantly worse than regular SDR. I installed the latest firmware on both the TV and connected hardware.

I don't understand what's going wrong. Are my expectations too high for a TV in this price range? The TV is marketed as HDR capable, I figured the 10-bit screen should be able to make use of the HDR spectrum. Is this just how HDR looks on a non-oled TV?

Hope some of you can share experiences or advice,
Thanks in advance
I also have this issue with my Philips 50PUS7855 with Disney + (through Fire Stick not 4k)and when playing HDR movies on my external HDD. I would deactivate HDR function on smart tv but it is not possible. With my previous LG Web OS smart tv there was no problem at all. I'm very disappointed. Could someone help me???

Enn

Standard Member
Hi congratulations with your new headache purchase.
I would strongly advice to read over any news 8505 forum
To answer your question from my personal understanding:
Yes you have too high expectations as this is budget tv with mediocre panel 350nits...
Also in no days I would believe that for this price tag you will have true 10bit panel. Probably its 8+FRC.
But you can try using settings from that thread to improve overall experience. Also there seems to be firmware issue with Philips in relation to HDR (check other threads). Colours out of the box always have some tints, mine had blue and red till I tweaked it a bit. But HDR is a bit flat and dull should I say to my liking.
Must admit there are always issues with picture quality on philips tv's. I think OLED have lot less issues, but different price tag there.

You mentioned shield and chromecast did you adjust hdmi settings? I think you have 2 options there which might shift colours.

Is this just how HDR looks on a non-oled TV? Absolutely not, buy some decent tv with FALD able to output 500nits+ and you will feel difference. U8QF budget option just as example. Plenty Sony models too.

Fun part - have you tried any sample videos from USB in 4K HDR or dolby as ususally they do play well. It is mostly when I play streamed content then becomes tricky.

Thanks for your response, it seems my expectations were too high indeed. Good to know!

The latest video from AVForums

LG G1 OLED Evo TV and SVS SB-1000 Pro subwoofer reviews, Samsung OLED rumours and more...
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom