Philips 50PUS8204/12 picture settings and issues

yeah the blocking doesn't work, wonder which site the update is taken from
Yeah this TV is getting super annoying now. I gave up this evening and updated but had to put the screen to maximum brightness to get rid of the flicker, think this is how it's going to have to be from now on until I can afford a better TV for the living room and roll back the TV, don't connect to the net, plug in my sky box and shift this into the bedroom.

Just noticed new software update on Philips support page. Sadly does not mention flicker issue resolved, so I will stick to my original version from March. Although sick of continueos update nagging requests.

Software history Android P
Philips 2K19 73x4/7504/8x04/8x4/9x4 -ranges

TPM191E _ 001.004.100.001 UK only–Date: 2020/07/027
-Improvements for BBC iPlayer and FVP in UK

TPM191E _ 001.004.100.000–Date: 2020/07/01
-Improvements for Google Chromecast
-Improvements for DemoMe
-Support for PTA 2.0
-Improvements for audio in B&W models
-Improvements for PVR
-Improvements for WIFI
-DolbyAtmos improvements
-Improvements for residual image clearing
-Many more minor improvements

TPM191E _ 001.004.100.000 did nothing so not expecting TPM191E _ 001.004.100.001 to be any different. It is something to do with 50hz output, because 60hz is fine with netflix/amazon/youtube/xbox games

My TV was working perfectly but since the last firmware update I’ve been getting a WiFi related bug. Whenever my TV wakes from standby it will have lost connection to my router. When I try to reconnect it it tells me the password is invalid. I have to turn the TVs WiFi off and on again in the settings menu to get it to accept the password and connect properly.

I can see they’ve done some WiFi changes in the release notes for the latest firmware so this must be what started causing this problem as it never happened previous to this update. Anyone else been seeing this issue or just me? Even factory reinstalling the TV software didn’t fix the issue.

My TV was working perfectly but since the last firmware update I’ve been getting a WiFi related bug. Whenever my TV wakes from standby it will have lost connection to my router. When I try to reconnect it it tells me the password is invalid. I have to turn the TVs WiFi off and on again in the settings menu to get it to accept the password and connect properly.

I can see they’ve done some WiFi changes in the release notes for the latest firmware so this must be what started causing this problem as it never happened previous to this update. Anyone else been seeing this issue or just me? Even factory reinstalling the TV software didn’t fix the issue.
Same issue with my 65PUS8204 since the latest update.

Stopped getting the update message now.
I First let the TV search for an update, it found an update, but a pressed Cancel. Then applied the whole OPENDNS thing and blocked anything from nettvservices.com.

Also blocked ..
vewd.com
zeasn.tv
nettvservices.com
corio.com
ntp.org

TV works fine, all the apps work netflix/amazon/youtube .. able to download new apps.

Hope this help anyone?

19/08/2020 - Not very reliable, was working, didn't have message for a week , now back!

Last edited:
New software update on Philips support website if anybody feeling brave.

TPM191E _ 101.001.079.005 –Date: 2020/09/15
-Introducing support for DTSPlay-Fi
-Introducing Ambisleep feature
-improvements for hbbTV
-improvements for specific Smart TV apps

-improvements for hbbTV
It’s fixed the motion issues (stuttering) that the last update ‘introduced’ on my 65PUS8204.

I’m hoping it’s fixed the random WiFi disconnections too.

With the latest update they’ve removed my favourite two Ambilight modes, Comfort and Relax, and replaced it with the next to useless Ambisleep feature instead. They’ve also changed the Ambilight colour calibration so I’ve had to change the wall colour and saturation settings to compensate.

Motion is definitely a million times better, though, so it’s worth updating for that improvement alone. Football looks very fluid now.

Last edited:
I am still happy with original software on TV bought April 20.
I only intend to update if I get verification ( hopefully here ) that the HDMI input flicker issue has been resolved on both 50 & 60 Hz inputs.
On another point, ( hope this doesnt kick off ! ). Ambilight Natural is the only one I use, I thought the others were superfluous.

-improvements for hbbTV
Yes!!!! Its finally sorted out the motion(stuttering)issue! I can now finally watch sky sports without getting annoyed!
Sky sports news info bar runs smoothly across the screen too.

Yes!!!! Its finally sorted out the motion(stuttering)issue! I can now finally watch sky sports without getting annoyed!
Sky sports news info bar runs smoothly across the screen too.
Brilliant, isn’t it!

I watched the Carabao Cup highlights on Quest HD last night and it did a very good job with motion, where as previously it was a big, stuttering mess.

You wouldn’t have guessed it was only a 50hz panel.

Brilliant, isn’t it!

I watched the Carabao Cup highlights on Quest HD last night and it did a very good job with motion, where as previously it was a big, stuttering mess.

You wouldn’t have guessed it was only a 50hz panel.

Have they really fixed the stuttering!!!

I also use my TV as a computer monitor. Having updated to latest software, when using as a monitor with white background screen flicker is very evident on 50 Hz HDMI input. When changed to 60 Hz, flicker issue resolved.

I also use my TV as a computer monitor. Having updated to latest software, when using as a monitor with white background screen flicker is very evident on 50 Hz HDMI input. When changed to 60 Hz, flicker issue resolved.
How do you change from 50hz to 60hz?I have similar flicker issue but only when watching freeview channels from built in tuner.Noticeable on white background.Causes eye strain,but don't know how to fix it.Latest updates have not improved it.

Supermal
Sorry, cant really help you.
The fault appears to be on 50Hz input to the set. So in my case I have adjusted the OUTPUT display settings from my connected devices. So on my PC i went - settings, display, then was able to change the display output from 50Hz to 60Hz. I was also able to do the same with my Sumvision media player. My BT Youview box does not allow for frequency adjustment but i have not noticed a issue on this.
I only use the Youview box to watch TV & have never used the built in tuner. The problem you have is that as the tuner is built in, there is consequently no " output " setting available to adjust.
In other words, the built in tuner is fixed at 50Hz. This flicker issue was introduced on a software update 6 months ago & no consequent update has fixed it.

Supermal
Sorry, cant really help you.
The fault appears to be on 50Hz input to the set. So in my case I have adjusted the OUTPUT display settings from my connected devices. So on my PC i went - settings, display, then was able to change the display output from 50Hz to 60Hz. I was also able to do the same with my Sumvision media player. My BT Youview box does not allow for frequency adjustment but i have not noticed a issue on this.
I only use the Youview box to watch TV & have never used the built in tuner. The problem you have is that as the tuner is built in, there is consequently no " output " setting available to adjust.
In other words, the built in tuner is fixed at 50Hz. This flicker issue was introduced on a software update 6 months ago & no consequent update has fixed it.
Folkster.
Thanks for your quick reply. I think problem for me was introduced when the firmware got updated to support freeview play from freeview hd. Just annoying when updates to improve things actually adds issues.I know some users are using original base firmware to avoid the tv flicker/motion problems that appeared on subsequent updates,which is a shame.I can only hope a future update will correct the problem for me.Luckily in my case it only affects freeview viewing and I can use an external tuner if I wish to_Otherwise I am happy with the performance of my tv(pus7304).

Latest settings

Picture mode: ISF day
Colour 57
Contrast 85
Sharpness: 2
Brightness: 55
Colour enhancement: Off
Colour gamut: Wide
Colour temperature: Normal or warm
Colour control:
Red hue +1
Red saturation -1
Yellow hue -1
Yellow saturation -1
HDR Upscaling: On
Dynamic contrast: Off
Contrast mode: Off
Video contrast: 88
Gamma: 0
Light sensor: Off
Ultra resolution: Off
Noise reduction: Off
MPEG artefact reduction: Off
Motion: Movie

Thanks for posting your settings, I never know what looks good but these definitely seem like a good balance. The only thing I changed was changing Contrast Mode to Normal as I like the added depth it seems to give.
Do you use similar settings for HDR/Dolby Vision content?

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom