50PUS8204/12 picture settings and issues

sharrock85

Standard Member
Thanks for posting your settings, I never know what looks good but these definitely seem like a good balance. The only thing I changed was changing Contrast Mode to Normal as I like the added depth it seems to give.
Do you use similar settings for HDR/Dolby Vision content?

Same I have
Colour 55 (I would a lot of people like good colour saturation) Anything above 60 and people all have nice tans!
Contrast 50 (Dark room)
Sharpness: 2
Brightness: 55

HDR/Dolby Same but - Contrast 100 (only backlight)

HDR Upscaling: On - This is always OFF - just no (Sony/Samsung .. yes) Phillips never!

Colour temperature: Normal or warm - Warm is too much on these TVs
Would be nice to have a in-between normal and warm (like LG + - settings)

I think HDR/HDR10 Requires - Colour enhancement: Max - Peoples skin seems really pale with if off.

Dolby Vision seems to work a lot better than HDR, much nicer picture.

twoticks

Novice Member
hello.
Been watching and reading for many months, hoping for a way to make my TV work well.
50PUS8204/12 brought for the right reasons at the right time for a really good price.
Then the manufacturer messed it up big time. And again ,and again.
Anyway, here we are, another software update that sort of works whilst friggin up other bits.
-whats with the green bias ?. So tried the settings NBH listed.
Better with reservations. With Sky Q as supply, I find slow pans or drone pan shots still judder softly. Disney freezes occasionally, or lag- jumps every quarter hour or so.
Can I ask if NBH settings are for a VA panel 50 inch?
Do the settings achieve the same result on both panel types ?
Does anyone have 50inch settings to get the motion nailed ,with the 05 update please.
18yrs of Philips TV and I won't buy another.
Thanks for the enthusiasm to pursue a solution .

NBH

hello.
Been watching and reading for many months, hoping for a way to make my TV work well.
50PUS8204/12 brought for the right reasons at the right time for a really good price.
Then the manufacturer messed it up big time. And again ,and again.
Anyway, here we are, another software update that sort of works whilst friggin up other bits.
-whats with the green bias ?. So tried the settings NBH listed.
Better with reservations. With Sky Q as supply, I find slow pans or drone pan shots still judder softly. Disney freezes occasionally, or lag- jumps every quarter hour or so.
Can I ask if NBH settings are for a VA panel 50 inch?
Do the settings achieve the same result on both panel types ?
Does anyone have 50inch settings to get the motion nailed ,with the 05 update please.
18yrs of Philips TV and I won't buy another.
Thanks for the enthusiasm to pursue a solution .
Yes my settings are for the 50 inch version. If the picture looks a bit green you could tweak the colour temperature or the green hue/saturation on the ISF settings.

There is some judder on panning shots, the only way I found to reduce this is put the motion settings on custom and put it on minimum.

I'm still on the rolled back firmware that was on the TV when I bought it, every update still introduces flickering.

Supermal

Yes my settings are for the 50 inch version. If the picture looks a bit green you could tweak the colour temperature or the green hue/saturation on the ISF settings.

There is some judder on panning shots, the only way I found to reduce this is put the motion settings on custom and put it on minimum.

I'm still on the rolled back firmware that was on the TV when I bought it, every update still introduces flickering.
The flickering is the only outstanding issue I have on mine,but only when watching live freeview channels.Is the flickering when a white background on screen or when light coming in through a window?Then it is same issue I have.Keep hoping next update will sort it.Been a few up to date but problem still persists.

twoticks

Novice Member
Thank you NBH.
Currys have it in for repair. Been there for 2wks, and we don't want it back.
We have requested credit note to get shot of it.
IF it returns, I shall scrutanize and see what gives.
And try your settings.
Thanks.

twoticks

Novice Member
Hello.
I had a 50PUS7304 series, and never settled with it. Motion on the VA panel highly dependent on source quality & colour palette was poor, with a green bias that never resolved itself. So eventually sold for reasonable money to a less pernickety friend. It was a great bargain when new
So i brought a 50PUS8204 from the big C-PC , on a Black friday deal last year.
Much similar to 73xx , till i found settings guidance here on AVforum.
Good for a few months, then Philips began sabotaging their own work.
Each and every software update took away ,and made worse motion, stability and colour.
And seeing my old 73xx, the same faults , as listed here on various forum threads.
Anyway, my patience exhausted , i contact the retailer, and return arranged for repair. Free.
Given time , stunningly poor phone support ,and repair tracking failure ; i've been fully refunded with a store credit. The panel was declared faulty, and Philips ignored C-PW request for replacement panel.
Here's my advice. If you have motion issues- multi speed judder, secondary image drag shadows. pause n release catch up ,particularly on things like drone pans, or rich fore ground motion over blotchy background image .Then return the TV if in guarantee, and thats 2yrs by Philips , after UK 1yr average.
Don't think its a hobby to keep reinstalling , to block software updates, or stay up half the night trying settings ,rather than actually watch things .ITS not. Its faulty.

So i brought another Philips, a 55oled805.
Fantastic so far. Clearly a whole different league in operation.
Why ? because ambilight floats our boat very much. because strictly dance is a much richer immersive show ,when the whole wall is alive , and panning light ,with the TV motion.
A tv of this quality would have been 3-4k just a couple of yrs back. The size gain on a 50PUS9005, justifys the price point, the slim build is contempory , and the implementation is much much more stable. 750 cash plus the store credit was an easy choice.
Here's hoping tv No3 is not screwed over by Philips future software updates.

petelang

Standard Member
I wholeheartedly agree with @twoticks

I bought this TV at the beginning of Dec '19 from the same pedaller of tech.
I was never happy with the picture in both HD and 4k, and HDR was pretty much non-existant.
Although my biggest gripe was the tv response. Started off 'OK', but it got progressly worse with update, until it was almost unusable. On startup it would take an age to warmup to button presses both from the remote, and also the tv mounted buttons. It was a pain in the neck just to eait for the tv to respond to button presses. Constant crashing on apps rendered it's smart tv option obsolete, which meant the family always had to switch to the xbox for catchup tv. It really did become a mess.

For my sins, I put up with this, constantly trying to get decent picture by playing with the settings, and hoping each new update would solve all these issues. My partner kept prompting me to send it away for repair, and finally I gave way a week before the tv purchase anniversary.

Tbf to C..... they were very good.
My family were all hoping to receive a credit from them, as the tv was so desperately useless.
Our wish for credit was thankfully granted less than a week later.

I brought the previously retired tv in from the play room.
Frankly the picture from the 2013 model Sony KDL-42W653A blows it out of the water!
It's so much more natural and pleasant.
Yes, it's not quite as bright and certainly no 4k...but it's embarassingly better.

I now have a voucher for £450 to spend on a new tv, probably in the January sales, or perhaps I will wait a little longer for a real bargain. This tv was bought for normal tv use plus next gen gaming with 4k and HDR in mind.
I have shortlisted the new tv down to these models (although my partner is in for a price shock). Unfortunately I am limited to a maximum of 50"

£850 Sony 49XH9505 - BEST LCD, but no VRR and narrow viewing angles
£1400 LG 48CX - Best all round
£1500 Philips 48OLED935 - Built in HQ sound bar, ambilight, but no VRR or 120hz (but it's a Philips, so if the software is the same...no way!
If anyone has any experience with these, I'd appreciate some direction (probably wrong thread).

So to summarise, don't buy it, and if you've bought it already...don't settle, send it back.
It's cheap and cheerful, but it just doesn't function.

Last edited:

Rich20uk

Novice Member
@NBH what are your current settings now with the recent firmware update please? Also has anyone got any views on the settings for innbuilt sound? I find when outputting to soundbar, there is a lot of times where the volume is really low.

NBH

@NBH what are your current settings now with the recent firmware update please? Also has anyone got any views on the settings for innbuilt sound? I find when outputting to soundbar, there is a lot of times where the volume is really low.
I haven't updated my TV, I am on the old firmware which I rolled back to. Any new firmware I tried had the flickering and I couldn't stand it, has flickering been fixed now?

I think my settings are pretty similar to before but I use normal instead of warm, think I maybe adjusted it slightly, I kind of gave up trying to get a good picture of of the TV and just got used to whatever it was on before.

Rich20uk

Novice Member
I haven't updated my TV, I am on the old firmware which I rolled back to. Any new firmware I tried had the flickering and I couldn't stand it, has flickering been fixed now?

I think my settings are pretty similar to before but I use normal instead of warm, think I maybe adjusted it slightly, I kind of gave up trying to get a good picture of of the TV and just got used to whatever it was on before.
Ah cool, yes no flickering now, there was an update last month, anone even in Dec I think where flickering stopped

NBH

Ah cool, yes no flickering now, there was an update last month, anone even in Dec I think where flickering stopped
Ok I may try and update this weekend. I read reports of the flickering being fixed before because straight after the update it's not there but after turning the TV off and on it appears.

Edit, updated the software this morning and flickering is still there, maybe not quite as bad as it was before but still distracting to my eyes so will be rolling back the software. Safe to say I won't be buying another Phillips TV, never had any other TV I've bought have these kind of issues apart from an old CRT one that flickered.

Last edited:

SUFCRAZ

Standard Member
Issues:
  • I can't adjust the picture settings on iPlayer, it puts me back to the main menu when I pick frequent settings. I want to adjust the HDR settings for the UHD HLG content which I can't do from the main menu as it's not HDR so the HDR picture options don't appear.
Did anyone ever find a work around for this? Still getting the issue only on iPlayer.

The latest video from AVForums

AVForums Movies Podcast: Which is the best decade for horror movies?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom