Answered 50PUS6703 horror story

Bunting1611

Novice Member
So 4 months ago I bought a Philips50PUS6703 and truth be told thought it was a great television for the price, couldn't complain! But a week ago while I was watching a movie, I noticed a vertical line running the full height of the screen. These "dead pixels" spread slowly over the next few days and eventually two black holes for want of a better word formed. I took the tv back to the shop yesterday to get it foxed, 45 minutes after I dropped it off they called me to say the panel was broken internally and isn't covered under warranty. At this point I would like to point out that the television has never been dropped and has absolutely no external signs of damage. Thinking that this is quite odd I went round to speak to the manager. They informed me that the technician had checked the TV and said it was broken, when I asked if he had opened up the television they said no. So basically he switched it on, saw the problem for himself and said nope that's not covered by warranty.

Has anybody had a similar experience? Also is it common practice for the tech to just look at the screen and apparently take a snap decision that it's not covered by warranty?

Really not sure what to do at this point!! Any help would be greatly appreciated

Attachments

• IMG_1726.jpg
    IMG_1726.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 176
  • IMG_1724.jpg
    IMG_1724.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 178

94jdh

So 4 months ago I bought a Philips50PUS6703 and truth be told thought it was a great television for the price, couldn't complain! But a week ago while I was watching a movie, I noticed a vertical line running the full height of the screen. These "dead pixels" spread slowly over the next few days and eventually two black holes for want of a better word formed. I took the tv back to the shop yesterday to get it foxed, 45 minutes after I dropped it off they called me to say the panel was broken internally and isn't covered under warranty. At this point I would like to point out that the television has never been dropped and has absolutely no external signs of damage. Thinking that this is quite odd I went round to speak to the manager. They informed me that the technician had checked the TV and said it was broken, when I asked if he had opened up the television they said no. So basically he switched it on, saw the problem for himself and said nope that's not covered by warranty.

Has anybody had a similar experience? Also is it common practice for the tech to just look at the screen and apparently take a snap decision that it's not covered by warranty?

Really not sure what to do at this point!! Any help would be greatly appreciated

Hi,
That certainly doesn't look right, is this a small independent dealer you bought it from? Did you pay by credit card?
I would contact Phillips direct (although notoriously slow) failing that if you did pay by credit card you may get some leverage of the product not fit for purpose (as a TV should last longer than that!).

EDIT : on second look it does look as if something has impacted to create the black spots and leached from there - which is probably why you got that quick answer from the shop.

MarkJon

Standard Member
Those black spots do look like impact points, but if you are 100% sure it was not damaged since you owned it then I would check your consumer rights in your country. In the UK, if goods fail within 6 months then it is up to the retailer to prove it was not faulty. There may be similar rules in other European countries.

Mane UK

I agree with above, that the black spots look like possible impact damage. However the stripes look like gate driver failure and they clearly spread over greater area than the spots.
If I had to guess, and you promise it wasn't impact, I'd say panel delamination.
A tech (not a random guy with eyes, but someone with tools and diagnostic equipment) should be able to easily tell.

It is common practice to reject as many warranty claims as possible and then to offer the cheapest fix/replacement and only adhere to T&C if the customer fights for it - same as almost every other product warranty

Bunting1611

Novice Member
Hi everybody, thanks so much for all your replies! I have noticed that the black spots have started to shrink and are leaving a trail of stuck pixels behind them (they only light up blue). I'm going to inform the supplier that if they are unwilling to inspect the unit properly I will take it to an independent technician and hold them responsible if it turns out that the unit was faulty. Once again, thanks for everybody's input! It helps to have unbiased opinion

Morve

How'd you get on?

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Q Acoustics Q3030i, Humax Aura, Roku Streambar & WandaVision Reviews and more...
Top Bottom