50PUS6703 and some major issues

Tiihokatti

Novice Member
Reaction score
Where to start... The TV is brand new and connected to my PC (GTX 1070 / i5-3570k) via HDMI2 with the UHD setting at optimal (4:4:4/HDR support).
Pretty much at every single image setting (4:4:4/RGB/etc, UHD/HD/etc, game/monitor-mode/etc, HDR/SDR, etc.) there are small flickering lights around white text with dark background and thin vertical white lines have this weird thing going on where they change colors between green and purple depending on where the window is moved on the screen (the color change persists in static image).
The purple/green colors are pretty dominant in texts (i, I, l, L, 1, etc.) especially when Windows scaling is set to 100%.

Also, the usual 4:4:4 "The quick brown fox" test also shows horrendous effects as the bottom 2 lines of texts are completely unreadable. Even some of the top red and blue texts are in a very bad shape.
I even went as far as buying a brand new heavy-duty HDMI cable to see if the problem was in the cable (same cable is being used on my other 2015 Philips UHD-TV). Didn't help.

Also, the input lag seems to skyrocket when I restart the TV in game-mode. The input lag does normalize when I switch inputs back and forth afterwards but it's still a very annoying problem.
I noticed that this same bug was fixed(?) for monitor-mode in the latest software update. But in my case the monitor-mode has horrendous input lag, don't know if that's normal or not...

Already contacted Philips for repairs but will see if they can do anything to salvage this TV... Anyone else had this kind of issues with their TV and HDMI connection?

Ok, took my laptop from work to do some testing. It seems that the PUS6703 needs to use Monitor-mode to allow 4:4:4 subsampling support, found that mentioned in a professional PUS8303 review.

1. 1080p + 4:4:4 + Monitor-mode
- Small input lag
- 4:4:4 test is a success
- The tiny white flickering artifacts around the edges of objects are still present. Smells like a sharpening augmentation that is still running in the background... Monitor mode should disable all the picture augmentations, the settings disappear from the menu completely.

2. 1080p + 4:4:4 + Game-mode
- Small input lag
- 4:4:4 test fails horribly
- Tiny white flickering artifacts around edges of objects.
- The colors are off in thin vertical lines. Purple and Green and the color change according to movement.

3. 4K + 4:4:4 + Game-mode
- Small input lag
- The colors are off in thin vertical lines.

4. 4K + 4:4:4 + Monitor-mode
- Massive stuttering (the motion problem mentioned in other threads?)
- Feels like the TV has massive input lag, may be a side-effect of the stuttering.
- Everything is s**t, including 4:4:4 test.

Last edited:
Ok, took my laptop from work to do some testing. It seems that the PUS6703 needs to use Monitor-mode to allow 4:4:4 subsampling support, found that mentioned in a professional PUS8303 review.

1. 1080p + 4:4:4 + Monitor-mode
- Small input lag
- 4:4:4 test is a success
- The tiny white flickering artifacts around the edges of objects are still present. Smells like a sharpening augmentation that is still running in the background... Monitor mode should disable all the picture augmentations, the settings disappear from the menu completely.

2. 1080p + 4:4:4 + Game-mode
- Small input lag
- The colors are off in thin vertical lines. Purple and Green and the color change according to movement.

3. 4K + 4:4:4 + Game-mode
- Small input lag
- The colors are off in thin vertical lines.

4. 4K + 4:4:4 + Monitor-mode
- Massive stuttering (the motion problem mentioned in other threads?)
- Feels like the TV has massive input lag, may be a side-effect of the stuttering.
- Everything is s**t, including 4:4:4 test.

The white flickering might be down to sharpness? It's also worth playing with some other processing. Try turning most things off and see how you get on.

The white flickering might be down to sharpness? It's also worth playing with some other processing. Try turning most things off and see how you get on.
Like I said, Monitor-mode should disable all the image processing/augmentations that the TV has. And I have also disabled all the image processing whenever it has been possible (Sharpening to 0, everything set to OFF, etc.). The flickering lights still remain with all the other horrible issues.

Already sending it back to retailer, no sense in waiting 2-3 weeks for Philips to repair it.
And also bought 49PUS8303 to replace it as it was on sale during this weekend. And if even the PUS8303 has some similarly nasty problems, I can just return it to the local store that is about 1 km away from my house. At that point I'll just jump to Samsung.

Last edited:
Well it definitely sounds faulty, these things happen.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom