50ps3000 picture advice

nova2005

Standard Member
Reaction score
Hi Guys,

My first ever post on here, but i have been reading alot of posts recently.

I just invested in a 50ps3000 for £749.99 and i must admit i am delighted with my purchase.

My only problem is - i changed the xbox360 to 1080p and the tv displays this fine but only at 60 hertz. Should this not be 600 hertz?

Also when watching Virgin HD it only displays on 1080i 50 herts - Shouldnt this now be 1080p 600hertz?

I am sitting watching Celtic on C5 but this is no on 1080p nor is it on 600 hertz (which is what the tv is advertised on).

Does normal tv through a V+HD box not support 1080p and 600 hertz?

Does V+HD Box not support 1080p and 600 hertz when on HD Channels?

Or does all this 600 hertz and 1080p only apply to game consoles and blu-ray players?

Very confused as you can see.

Hi, im no expert, but I beleive the 600Hz you refering to is 'subfield' so its not actually a true 600hz, more of a marketing gimmick

as for your cable HD, as far as Im aware, there are no HD broadcasts in 1080p, the best you can hope for is 1080i

Im sure someone with more knowledge can explain this in more detail to you though

Hmmm,

I should have stuck with my 1080i 32" TV. Basically i just paid £749.99 to upgrade to a 50" that says 600hz but doesnt perform on 600hz and only displays on 1080p through an xbox360 or blu-ray player. I did'nt want to get a blu-ray but looks like i will need to in order to enjoy this tv to its full potential until the TV broadcasters upgrade all the signals to Digital!!! Roll-on 2011! DOH.

Can someone explain in more detail please? :)

600hz only refers to the subfield drive (technology employed to supposedly improve the 'smoothness' of the moving picture by generating extra frames or something like that!).

Xbox360 and TV does not output at 600hz as that would mean generating/recording a whopping 600 frames per second; well above the human brain's ability to perceive motion (circa 30-72hz depending on which expert you believe!)

The LG will not accept/display a true 600hz signal - its just a gimmick which supposedly improves motion handling with 50-60hz material. There is no real world justification for a true 600fps transmission - other than the ability to play back in perfect slow motion perhaps.

600hz only refers to the subfield drive (technology employed to supposedly improve the 'smoothness' of the moving picture by generating extra frames or something like that!).

The LG will not accept/display a true 600hz signal - its just a gimmick which supposedly improves motion handling with 50-60hz material.

600Hz subfield driving has nothing to with motion handling or smoothing the image - it's just how images are displayed on a plasma. As such it still only displays 50 or 60 frames per second, it just breaks them down into 12 (or 10) subfields per frame. There is no interpolation.

Sorry I've never really looked into how it works. I just assumed that was its nature & purpose from the limited info I've skim read on other threads.

So if its not to improve the perceived smoothness of the on screen motion - whats it actually for?

It does improve the smoothness and the figures you have quoted are what the INPUT source is outputting not the tv. So for example your virgin hd OUTPUTS at 50hz and this signal is then processed by the tv's 600Hz so it will be doing its job.

It does improve the smoothness and the figures you have quoted are what the INPUT source is outputting not the tv. So for example your virgin hd OUTPUTS at 50hz and this signal is then processed by the tv's 600Hz so it will be doing its job.

Subfield driving has nothing to do with smoothing the image, and is related to how the image is displayed. It does not do any interpolation, a la Motionflow, Trumotion, etc.

If you're really interested you can find a description here, but be warned it is heavy reading:

Plasma display apparatus and subfield driving method therefor - Patent EP1345198

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom