• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

50PF9. Any opinions yet?

Lobo

Established Member
Anybody who has seen the 50PFP, could you post your opinions please? I am close to buying a Fuji 58, however, with this being close in price range, i may be able to stretch if the PQ is comparable.

chrisuk01

Established Member
why is there virtually no opinions on this set yet ?

as its been available for a little while now.

was hoping to have some comparisons between this and the pio 5000ex :(

Member 6435

Prominent Member
why is there virtually no opinions on this set yet ?

as its been available for a little while now.

was hoping to have some comparisons between this and the pio 5000ex :(

Afternoon

I think the main reason that there are no opinions on this new model is due to the fact there were very few available from the first batch that arrived in the UK. Although I can say the picture on the 50PF9 is very good which has been confirmed by those who have demo'd it I unfortunately cannot give any comparison against the Pioneer as I personally haven't seen this model.

Regards

Alastair:hiya:

Member 6435

Prominent Member
Morning

We took some measurements last Friday on the black levels of the 50PF9 and they were particularly good. In fact they were better than the black levels on the 42PH9 which was also tested.

Regards

Alastair:hiya:

MAW

Banned
I've seen them both, also the 65PF9, and can confirm nothing you could not guess. The respective manufacturers strengths and weaknesses are just as alway. Panasonic, deep blacks, smooth, film like image. Pioneer, vivid colours, slightly less deep blacks, more digital type of picture. I have not yet seen them side by side, but within a day of each other. I'm a panasonic man myself for the smooth image, but this Pio is the one that has most nearly persuaded me otherwise. There was a fair bit of short term image retention on the pio though, and whilst there's no evidence this leads to burn in, it bothers me.

madshi

Established Member
We took some measurements last Friday on the black levels of the 50PF9 and they were particularly good. In fact they were better than the black levels on the 42PH9 which was also tested.
That is a nice surprise to me! Have you been able to measure the 65PF9 black level, too? I'm asking because in the US all the forum guys seem to agree that their 65PH9 1080p plasma has worse black levels compared to 42/50PH9. Now I'm wondering whether:

(1) 65" 1080p has worse black level compared to 50" 1080p?
(2) 65" 1080p US model is different than European model?

madshi

Established Member
I've seen them both, also the 65PF9, and can confirm nothing you could not guess. The respective manufacturers strengths and weaknesses are just as alway. Panasonic, deep blacks, smooth, film like image. Pioneer, vivid colours, slightly less deep blacks, more digital type of picture. I have not yet seen them side by side, but within a day of each other. I'm a panasonic man myself for the smooth image, but this Pio is the one that has most nearly persuaded me otherwise. There was a fair bit of short term image retention on the pio though, and whilst there's no evidence this leads to burn in, it bothers me.
Can you say something about digital artifacts like false contouring and green phospor trails after fast movements? I've a 50PH8 and false contouring and green phosphor trails really do annoy me. Now I've read in a US thread that the 50PF9 seems to show less false contouring compared to a PH8...

The latest video from AVForums

CES 2023 Round Up: New TV Lineups for 2023 from LG, Samsung, Panasonic, Hisense & TCL
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom